Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energie fitness Johnstown on fire

Options
  • 15-07-2011 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Energie fitness formally Jakie Skellys burning now.
    Was passing this morning and there was smoke billowing from all the windows. There were three fire engines there and I passed another two on the N3 en route.
    What would be in a gym to cause such a large fire?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A big insurance claim?

Plenty of electrical stuff that could go wrong I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭swimgal

brought my gym gear with me this morning to go straight after work. looks like i won't be going now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Wounder if this is related to the traveller issues in Athlumney Abbey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

swimgal wrote: »
    brought my gym gear with me this morning to go straight after work. looks like i won't be going now!!

Hope you won't be out of pocket with this.
    How long have you left on your membership?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭swimgal

i have just under a year left (15 month membership) but i mainly use their clubs in dublin after work so it's not too bad. was looking forward to going over this weekend though!

i wonder how bad the fire damage is. i know the club opens at 6am so the fire must of started while it was open.

• Advertisement

swimgal wrote: »
    i have just under a year left (15 month membership) but i mainly use their clubs in dublin after work so it's not too bad. was looking forward to going over this weekend though!

i wonder how bad the fire damage is. i know the club opens at 6am so the fire must of started while it was open.

I took a walk over and what looks like remains of the sauna Is sitting outside the gym. Through the window at the roadside you can see black sut on the machines and the weights.
    Still one fire engine at the scene, probably trying to establish the cause.
    Dosnt look like it will be opening any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 aidiewhitwham

I was in a class this morning and evacuated the building after fire alarms and we smoke rising up from downstairs. Fire was around 07:15.

RE: What could burn - not that much apart from the sauna/changing rooms which are all wood.
    Fire was most likely to be from sauna in male changing room. Fire well contained but both floors were black with smoke until the firemen did their good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

I was in a class this morning and evacuated the building after fire alarms and we smoke rising up from downstairs. Fire was around 07:15.

RE: What could burn - not that much apart from the sauna/changing rooms which are all wood.
    Fire was most likely to be from sauna in male changing room. Fire well contained but both floors were black with smoke until the firemen did their good thing.

I'm amazed by how people evacuated the building! In my branch the fire alarm is constantly going off in recent months and when it does nobody flinches! The first time it happened I was the only one out of about 50 people or more in the gym at the time to see if it was a false alarm or not!

I'm amazed by how people evacuated the building! In my branch the fire alarm is constantly going off in recent months and when it does nobody flinches! The first time it happened I was the only one out of about 50 people or more in the gym at the time to see if it was a false alarm or not!

I would imagine the plumes of thick smoke nailed home the fact its time to leave:D.
    It was back open earlier this week.

Advertisement