Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic Sheeting for painting

• 15-07-2011 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭

I need to paint the walls and ceiling of my kitchen.
    Unfortunately, the ceiling is a stipled ceiling so it tends to spatter a lot of paint when rolling it.
    I need to cover the kitchen units and tiles in plastic to keep the paint off them, any idea where I'd get a large quantity of suitable plastic sheeting at a reasonable price?
    Also, I'm a novice painter so any tips appreciated, what type of roller/ brush, paint should I use etc?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

My hint won't help you now but may do in the future. Old duvet covers and sheets, collected over the years, make great covers for painting both inside and outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Plastic sheeting can get messy when painting, old sheets or duvet covers are much more suitable as they soak up any drips or spatters, as you're in Cork I can loan you some if you want. Send PM.
    Pat McDonnell Paints Bachelors Qy. has a good selection of products for painting & decorating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Thanks, I have one or two sheets to cover the floor tiles, but I thought they'd be too heavy to try cover the wall mounted cupboards etc?

The last time it was painted I remember the painter using platic sheeting taped to the wall mounted cupboards so I thought that might be the best option.

Cheers for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,023 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thanks, I have one or two sheets to cover the floor tiles, but I thought they'd be too heavy to try cover the wall mounted cupboards etc?

The last time it was painted I remember the painter using platic sheeting taped to the wall mounted cupboards so I thought that might be the best option.

Cheers for the advice.

If you want the 3M tape plastic sheeting for furniture and other areas you cna get this in Woodies or any similar merchants. Its a very common item.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Amateur hour question, but is ceiling paint (white) the same as wall paint, or is it a much lower quality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Ceiling paint is usually flat (matt) in finish and is not really suitable for use on walls as it marks easily and doesn't stand up to waer and tear (or cleaning).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Get yourself a roll of light gauge builders film and a stanley knife in any builders suppliers and you will have enough to cover the whole house!

Dont use plastic on the floor, or when you walk on it you will carry it off the plastic on to your other uncovered floors.

Advertisement