Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Toy Repair

• 15-07-2011 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

My mum picked up the following from a Fair for €10 for her grandchild:

http://www.fisher-price.com/us/powerwheels/product.aspx?pid=54580

It is unsurprisingly faulty..there is no power to the wheels, I believe when turned on its side it turns the wheels in reverese only?. There is power that lights up the dash on it and makes sounds but thats it.

Is it straight forward to buy replacement battery or does it sound like it should be looked at by someone who knows electronics?

If so anyone know anyone that would do it for a few bob in Dublin city centre area?

Or does it just sound like junk now!

Thanks,

ASBO

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I fixed one of those a long time ago for my nephew, it was the switch in the pedal that was snapped in the forward position, everything was fine but the forward motion on the button was broken by some kid pumping the pedal.

I'm not looking for the job :) but i think I glued some plastic onto the switch to replace the bit that was broken, I also reversed the switch so that the repaired bit of the switch was on the reverse action.

the switch was down in the pedal and easy to get at.

They are fairly cheaply made items with the motor being smaller that what you'd see in a battery screwdriver, I don't know if its worth too much money getting it fixed if you cant yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Could be the foot switch alright. I converted one to radio control last year by replacing the foot switch and also speed change switches with car relays which were then radio operated. Along with a poweful servo for the steering.

In the one i converted there was also a motor overload unit, but in this one here the first place to look would be the foot switch alright, although in this particular one its a push button on the handle that operates it by the look of it, so look into that.

Id agree also that unless you can fix yourself, it wouldnt be worth while doing much with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Probably not much wrong with it. Are you sure it's charging up ok? As the lads said above, probably the foot switch....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It seems to be a thumb operated push button on the handle bars in this one instead of the usual foot switch. So thats where to look first anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ASBO

Sorry for not keeping up with this thread!

Will take a look bearing in mind what has been posted and let ye know.

Much appreciated!

ASBO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ASBO

Mum found a guy to look at it. Problem with battery. It has to be ordered as it's quite speciallised. €50 charge. If returned in perfect working order then it will be worth it.

Cheers for tips above.

ASBO

Advertisement