Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Add 1000GB or more to your 360

Options
  • 15-07-2011 9:28am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

ok, well heres an easy tutorial on how to get 1 terabyte+ more memory for your 360 cheap.

Gonna try keep this short and basic...but if theres many users needing help or wanting more info ill add more to it.

Note- This memory is purely for media purposes, music, video, pics...etc.....not for saving games or DLC.

STEPS
    1-Get an external hardrive....it doesnt really matter what size...I got a terabyte (1000gb) from harvey norman blancherdstown about a week ago for 57 euro.

2-your external hardrive will more then likely be in NTFS format (a modern storage type that is more efficient then the old type FAT32).The problem is that an xbox 360 reads/writes in FAT32 so we are gonna need to convert it from NTFS to FAT32

Go here and download the free Easus partition software. (most well known/legit free download site online...you can just google easus partition if you want)

Now use this to convert your external hardive to FAT32 (dont worry its a user friendly program it,ll be simple and fast)

3-Put a song (mp3 format) or a movie file (AVI format) on the hardrive (the 360 only reads these and a few other formats until you install an optional free media update.

4.Plug your external hardrive into any USB port on the 360 and go open the file which should be on portable device instead of hardrive when you click into your library.

5.sit back and enjoy a crapload of Hd movies and music on your 360:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

denballs wrote: »
    ok, well heres an easy tutorial on how to get 1 terabyte+ more memory for your 360 cheap.

Gonna try keep this short and basic...but if theres many users needing help or wanting more info ill add more to it.

Note- This memory is purely for media purposes, music, video, pics...etc.....not for saving games or DLC.

STEPS
    1-Get an external hardrive....it doesnt really matter what size...I got a terabyte (1000gb) from harvey norman blancherdstown about a week ago for 57 euro.

2-your external hardrive will more then likely be in NTFS format (a modern storage type that is more efficient then the old type FAT32).The problem is that an xbox 360 reads/writes in FAT32 so we are gonna need to convert it from NTFS to FAT32

Go here and download the free Easus partition software. (most well known/legit free download site online...you can just google easus partition if you want)

Now use this to convert your external hardive to FAT32 (dont worry its a user friendly program it,ll be simple and fast)

3-Put a song (mp3 format) or a movie file (AVI format) on the hardrive (the 360 only reads these and a few other formats until you install an optional free media update.

4.Plug your external hardrive into any USB port on the 360 and go open the file which should be on portable device instead of hardrive when you click into your library.

5.sit back and enjoy a crapload of Hd movies and music on your 360:cool:

Welcome to 3+ years ago. It has been possible to use a 360 for read-only access for media playback from a USB drive for at least that long. I'd be more interested in a way to add 1000+GB of storage for read/write access for the likes of game and profile storage, DLC, etc, but MS have put a cap (16GB?) on the amount of a USB drive that can be used in this manner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

cython wrote: »
    Welcome to 3+ years ago. It has been possible to use a 360 for read-only access for media playback from a USB drive for at least that long. I'd be more interested in a way to add 1000+GB of storage for read/write access for the likes of game and profile storage, DLC, etc, but MS have put a cap (16GB?) on the amount of a USB drive that can be used in this manner.

well actually you can flash a hardive and use it to replace an existing hardive in 360,s...but doing so breaches several minor international laws...so i cant help you do that...but im sure google can :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

well actually you can flash a hardive and use it to replace an existing hardive in 360,s...but doing so breaches several minor international laws...so i cant help you do that...but im sure google can :D

what laws apart from overcharging customers?

I'm well aware of that option, but you're still limited (by all accounts I've seen at least) to capacities that MS has officially released with the xbox 360, e.g. 20, 60, 120, 250 or 320GB thus far. Still a far cry from adding a terabyte of storage ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Here's how I added 1TB to mine (JTAG only though folks)

n2bak3.jpg

2rnfqr6.jpg

2e5mt1y.jpg

1zqpipu.jpg

2u469ab.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

EnterNow wrote: »
    Here's how I added 1TB to mine (JTAG only though folks)
    (...)

I used the same method. Half an hour of soldering, testing etc and jobs done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

My method to get it working was to update my xbox firmware about a year ago. Never had a problem with multiple terabyte drives hooked up to it

Dermo wrote: »
    My method to get it working was to update my xbox firmware about a year ago. Never had a problem with multiple terabyte drives hooked up to it

Doesn't that update only allow the console to use the first 16GB of a drive though?

Doesn't that update only allow the console to use the first 16GB of a drive though?

We have loads of hard drives around the house (4 nerds in 1 house), never had any problems accessing all of the data on the drives when watching tv shows/movies etc
    The Xbox itself is an Elite that's nearly 2 years old now.

I remember talking about this on a thread on here a while back but I can't find it now.

We have loads of hard drives around the house (4 nerds in 1 house), never had any problems accessing all of the data on the drives when watching tv shows/movies etc
    The Xbox itself is an Elite that's nearly 2 years old now.

I remember talking about this on a thread on here a while back but I can't find it now.

Aye but thats read access isn't it? Have you got write access to more than 16GB on any given drive? You may have, I'm a bit out of touch with updates at the mo

• Advertisement

Aye but thats read access isn't it? Have you got write access to more than 16GB on any given drive? You may have, I'm a bit out of touch with updates at the mo

sorry, yes, read access. I have no use for write access. Just use them for ease of use to watch movies and tv shows, nothing complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

EnterNow & Docentore have full access to the 1TB for installing games, DLC, savegames, trailers etc etc :)

As mentioned on thread - the only way to add more storage to an unmodifed console is to either purchase an MS hard drive (or buy a Western Digital Scorpio Series hard drive and use HDDhackr to flash the firmware on the drive so it reports as being a legitimate MS hard drive) or to use the Dashboard to format a partition on an existing drive into FatX format which is limited to 16GB because of addressing issues in the hardware. Once again, you're limited to sizes Microsoft have released if you buy a new drive or purchase a WD once so if you do this there's no point in buying a 500GB or 1TB drive since the biggest Ms drive atm is 320GB.

Plugging in an external hard drive to watch movies cannot be considered adding storage space to your xbox 360 console.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Could it be?

as for peoples opinions that adding 1000gb through external read only is useless....well the majority of users hav,nt got theres jtagged and unless you have it jtagged your only gonna need 1000gb for things like music and movies.......unless you save every game to your HDD....which in my opinion is pointless unless its some limited edition game or somthing.

and...for those who seem...almost angry that i wrote the thread....well...relax....i hav,nt wrote it for people who jtag consoles or use hacking programmes...ive wrote it...for those....who...are,nt as knowlegable as you....and want to put more music or movies on their 360

.........if im gonna write tutorials on how to do more complicated.....and possibly legislation breaching stuff...im gonna write it on xbox scene not here....

The thing is, you aren't adding music or movies on the 360. You're adding movies/music to an external hard drive and then just using the 360 to play them. The two things are worlds apart. You cannot use this 1000gb external storage from the console properly - you cannot save games to it, you cannot save any xbox content to it at all; You have no write-access to the external hard drive via the 360 unless you create a partition and use the console to format it, then you have 16GB of extra space in the FatX format.

It's pretty much common knowledge that you can use an xbox 360 to play [a limited selection of] media from an external drive at this stage, as another poster said - Welcome to 3 years ago.

The misleading thread title and your failure to acknowledge what is said on the thread (that "adding 1000GB to your 360" is impossible without a JTAG) is actually quite something

as for peoples opinions that adding 1000gb through external read only is useless....well the majority of users hav,nt got theres jtagged and unless you have it jtagged your only gonna need 1000gb for things like music and movies.......unless you save every game to your HDD....which in my opinion is pointless unless its some limited edition game or somthing.

and...for those who seem...almost angry that i wrote the thread....well...relax....i hav,nt wrote it for people who jtag consoles or use hacking programmes...ive wrote it...for those....who...are,nt as knowlegable as you....and want to put more music or movies on their 360

.........if im gonna write tutorials on how to do more complicated.....and possibly legislation breaching stuff...im gonna write it on xbox scene not here....

The thing is, the thread title is completely misleading. Your not adding storage capacity to your console, your plugging in a hdd with read only access - there's a big difference.

The reason I showed how I did it, is to show people that to have write access outside of MS capacities, you need to have a jtagged machine. Nobody here is 'angry' about your thread, it's simply irrelevent. Also, if you think you recieved a frosty recpetion here for posting three year old information, your in for a bit of a shock over on xbox scene.

your adding 1000gb of storage for media......just because it plugs in with the usb...makes little difference.....people frequently use an xbox hdd connecter cable to connect their hdd to their pc...with an external drive it is both easier and faster.........i did mention it was just for media.........if your saying i shouldve mentioned that in the title........well...i think the title is long enough....or would you have me just write the entire post in the title ...

also..if your going to try argue with me yet again...could you please just answer a simple question.....on a non jtag...why would you need over 250gb if not for media....are you really gonna buy that much dlc...or save that many games?.........

your adding 1000gb of storage for media......just because it plugs in with the usb...makes little difference.....people frequently use an xbox hdd connecter cable to connect their hdd to their pc...with an external drive it is both easier and faster.........i did mention it was just for media.........if your saying i shouldve mentioned that in the title........well...i think the title is long enough....or would you have me just write the entire post in the title ...

also..if your going to try argue with me yet again...could you please just answer a simple question.....on a non jtag...why would you need over 250gb if not for media....are you really gonna buy that much dlc...or save that many games?.........

Just for arguments sake, your plugging in a hard drive for read only access. Yes thats fine for media etc thats already on the drive - its no good for saves dlc etc etc.

The post is only misleading because your not adding 1000GB to the Xbox, your adding nothing barring 16GB.

The uses for 1TB are identical for a jtag and a retail console. I don't make a distinction, its simply storage space.

your adding 1000gb of storage for media

No, you are adding no storage space to the 360. The 360 cannot write to the drive, it is not added storage space. If somebody opened my PC and added 3TB of read-only hard drives I wouldn't called it added storage because I can't store anything on it; I can only read what's on it already.

This is why your thread title is misleading - you are adding 0GB to the 360. You can do absolutely nothing with FAT32-formatted external USB drives except read limited forms of media off it.

your opinions have been noted ...i just view them as comically and obviously incorrect

• Advertisement

your opinions have been noted ...i just view them as comically and obviously incorrect

There's a simple test you can do here. Plug in your hard drive & install a 360 game to it. You'll find the results interestingly funny. The day Touching Virus is wrong about 360 technicalities, I'll eat my hat.

There's a simple test you can do here. Plug in your hard drive & install a 360 game to it. You'll find the results interestingly funny. The day Touching Virus is wrong about 360 technicalities, I'll eat my hat.

Jaysus, I wouldn't go that far :P But I know that everybody except the OP is right on this occassion :D

Ok, if your opinion/post is correct, maybe I should put up a post explaining how putting a burned CD or DVD into the optical drive on your xbox adds 700MB/4.7GB/9.4GB/whatever "storage" to an xbox. Or are you going to tell me now that there is some difference in having read only access to a hard drive, as opposed to reading from an optical disk? Seriously, you posted old news, with a misleading title ("How to play media from external HDD on xbox 360" would have been much more apt), and got called on it. At least have the cop on and respect for other posters to admit it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ah c'mon Denballs was just trying to help out by sharing info with us; enough of us have explained to him about the misleading title now. Mate, consider changing the thread title to "Media playback on your 360 with an ext. HDD" or something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭AndywK

I'm more angry at your use of the English language to be honest.

AndywK wrote: »
    I'm more angry at your use of the English language to be honest.

that topic is a different thread...entirely.......i talk like this....you talk your way......the english language was originally designed in a way to be used differently then both of us deem proper............you use the common adaptation...iu use a more efficient version................move on.........:D

I think this thread has run its course...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

I think this thread has run its course...

I agree, I'm locking it down.

Thread closed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement