Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How annoying is Dave Fanning's voice?

• 15-07-2011 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Is it the most annoying voice on radio today?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

I have no problem with his voice, keep doing what you do dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

miketv wrote: »

me either, i like dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

QDog10 wrote: »

He's a smug git.never liked him...gotten worse over the years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

he's a legend. very knowledgable and an all round nice guy. not like so many of those other twats who seem to think they're the worlds greatest comedians just cos they're on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

miketv wrote: »

Same as.
    Nothing wrong with Dave's voice, and he has adapted himself well over the years to a number of different roles.
    Don't know the man, but he seems to be a decent personable chap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

What is there to be annoyed about? Does he stammer and trip over his words? NO. But there are plenty that do. Does he take noisy rasping intakes of breath, right into the mic, between every two words? NO. Try Mornings on Lyric for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

I don't like Dave. I don't share any of his interests (or at least those I've seen) and I would find him an absolute bore to talk to of all his passions revolve around music and movies.

I do, however, respect the guy. He is passionate and articulate about what he's interested in. He can be inspiring and he treats his guests, as far as I have seen, with the utmost respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Whats more annoying is how he compares every new band to the Boom Town Rats.
    Whats that about??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

At least when he's on the radio I don't have to listen to Rihanna and the Black eyed peas on replay. He may be a bit smug but his taste in music is better than the average DJ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I don't mind the chap at all. Passionate about radio, and the things that interest him. Always thought the Pet Sounds role on Today FM would have suited him, but it has been well filled.

Far from the worst on RTE Radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

He is far superior to Tubridy on the 9-11 slot. They should replace Tubridy with Fanning without any fanfare at all. Would make 100% sense.

He should have been drafted in soon after Gerry Ryan died. He was filling in for him for over 20 years anyway and always done a great job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Dave Fanning is a cool dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Really enjoying the podcasts of the Tubridy show since Dave took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Really good on the radio and has an excellent taste in music IMO.........BUT i really cant stand when he interviews somebody!! For some reason i always feel the interviews he does are extremely cringe-worthy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

His passion and knowledge is great - but I'm afraid his delivery and mic technique are awful!

A.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

No, but perhaps the most annoying accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I think he doesn't try to have a DJ persona, he just does what he does, and sometimes forgets to pause for breath and delivers a sentence too long for himself to keep up with, but I'd rather this over some retard fruit alarm breakfast DJ or whatever doing a faux-American accent and trying to be a comedian and everyone's cup of tea, claiming to be into kooky new bands while playing Lady Gaga and Rihanna ad nauseum and not knowing the difference from his arse and Elbow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭magic roundabou

I have enjoyed him for years-don't like his music choice but like his sat shows where he does interviews and general chat -I have followed him from 2fm to radio 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

He started off as a John Peel wannabe. But if you are aspiring to be like someone great they don't come greater than Peel.

In recent years I just find him profoundly annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I like him but to be honest he has a very dull voice. He could make a fortune doing children's audio books, they'd be asleep in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭WASP0

I don't find Dave's voice annoying, I think that Irish radio would be alot duller without him, and he's excellent at interviewing musicians/movie stars, always very knowledgable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Not half as annoying as Ray Shah!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I think they only knock id give him is the speed he talks. Other than that, Dave is grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

replace the words dave fanning with rick o shea and i agree with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

irishh_bob wrote: »
    replace the words dave fanning with rick o shea and i agree with you

Dave is obsessed with U2 and David Bowie. He's hard to listen to sometimes. Needs to take a deep breath every now and then. PR¡ck o shea has to be the worst ever. Mumbling on about stupid stuff. Playing Black and Gold, and Cher Believe every day. And dont forget his obsession with Bruce Springsteen. Why cant he listen to him on his own time? And that dork Battle he has on with him, he's just a fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Dan Dare

I like Dave Fanning, he knows his stuff, is enthusiastic and doesn't have that DJ Superego that many of them have. I was a big fan of John Peel.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kevinmcm

Fanning is fantastic on the radio. He should be given Tubridy show. Been listening to him since was in school in the 80's. He has fantastic taste in music, the quality of music being played every morning has increased a hundred fold. Love the fact that he has made a career out of his love of music and movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Refreshing to here a broadcaster on RTÉ 2FM between 9 and 11 each morning it is a pity he is followed by Fiona Looney who I listen to as she wonder if it was right that Darren Clarke went on the piss. Well done darren as the caller said there is nothing worse then hearing a reformed whore preach!

In answer to the OPs question not half as annoying as Fiona Looney's.

Rick O'Shea's show is just sillyness but he does it far better than the 98fm show on TodayFM. Cormac Battle I used to think was trying to be Dave Fanning but he has really improved on Sunday nights with the Battleaxe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Dave Fanning - National Treasure. Love how fast he talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I would MUCH rather Dave then Ryan.

I sometimes find myself taking a breath for him though lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jaydeep

Then don't listen to him:mad: .... jesus people are f*cking stupid.

Fanning is a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

MJ23 wrote: »
    Dave is obsessed with U2 and David Bowie. He's hard to listen to sometimes. Needs to take a deep breath every now and then. PR¡ck o shea has to be the worst ever. Mumbling on about stupid stuff. Playing Black and Gold, and Cher Believe every day. And dont forget his obsession with Bruce Springsteen. Why cant he listen to him on his own time? And that dork Battle he has on with him, he's just a fool.

i find the guy plain weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Like Fanning a lot but I do find his voice getting weaker and more horse these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Okocim

Dave Fanning is great in the slot, should be given it full time and a better long term replacement fit for Gerry Ryan I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

No. Mary Kingston is the most annoying voice on radio. End of story.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 141 ✭✭moomooman

Dave is a leg end.

I dont find his voice annoying but I wrote him off as a dik after one of his "interviews" with Phil Lynott. He just loves to hear himself talk, if hes not into a band then they have no artistic merit whatsoever, the kind of musical snob that dominates in the small pond that is the irish media.

Advertisement