Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend in Edinburgh

• 15-07-2011 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Looking for some tips on must-do's in Edinburgh. Some restaurant recommendations would be great too.

Comments

RubyK wrote: »
    Looking for some tips on must-do's in Edinburgh. Some restaurant recommendations would be great too.

The must-dos depend on when you're going and what you're looking for. Group of mates? Family? Travelling with your best friend? Romantic weekend away?

Also, Edinburgh in August is completely different to Edinburgh at any other time of year, so it depends on when you're going.

I'd particularly recommend two restaurants:

Petit Paris, Grassmarket
    Gusto, George Street

The Camera Obscura (Castlehill, almost at the gate of Edinburgh Castle) is worth a visit. I've been to Our Dynamic Earth (Holyrood Road, near the Parliament) a few times, but it's more of a family/kids kind of place. The Castle is worth a visit if you haven't been there before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Cheer Ulysses1874, I should have mentioned we are a couple, no kids. Heading off the end of July. Neither of us have been to Edinburgh, but we have the Castle, and the Whiskey tour in mind.

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations :)

Cheer Ulysses1874, I should have mentioned we are a couple, no kids. Heading off the end of July. Neither of us have been to Edinburgh, but we have the Castle, and the Whiskey tour in mind.

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations :)

My wife also recommends Wildfire, a restaurant on Rose Street. I've never been, but she really liked it. It's a small place, though, and you need to book a few days in advance. You'll find it easily enough on the web.

There's also a tour of Holyrood Palace, which is the monarch's official residence in Scotland. I thought it was more interesting than the Castle, but it depends on your taste.

And to finish with an odd recommendation; if shopping is one of the things on your agenda, Edinburgh is fine, but Glasgow city centre is much better. So if you're there for a few days and shops are your thing it might be worth a day trip. Trains from Waverley to Glasgow are quick and very frequent, and the area between Glasgow Queen Street and Central stations has enough shopping and places to eat to keep you fully occupied for the day.

Cheers.

Many thanks Ulysses for all the info! Have made note of all your suggestions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

climb arthur's seat and do a ghost tour! the best one meets outside st giles cathedral on the royal mile. the castle IMO is not worth anything near the entrance fee. i saw it for free and was more than a bit disappointed. Glasgow is the place for shopping, nothing at all in Edinburgh. cowgate is great fun at night, much more relaxed, fun and down to earth than george street. portobello beach can be fun if you have the weather, not the nicest beach in the world by a long shot, but it's fun.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Deacon Brodies Pub.

Bit touristy, but nice place for food upstairs.

Thanks everyone for all the tips!

Lapin - what part of the city is Decon Brodies pub? We will be based in the New Town.

Ok, one more question - can anyone recommend a good Indian restaurant?

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I've been to the Mother India in Glasgow which was great, they've opened up a Cafe in Edinburgh which gets very good reviews too
    http://www.motherindiaglasgow.co.uk/index.php?action=cms.edin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Lapin - what part of the city is Decon Brodies pub? We will be based in the New Town.

Deacon Brodies is on the Royal Mile in the heart of the Old Town, but everywhere in the centre of Edinburgh is within walking distance of everywhere else.

Thanks for the recommendations!

That pub link you posted looks great. Will be sure to pop in for one or two :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement