Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bats ?

• 15-07-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Have read the charter and hopefully my query isnt breaking any of the forum rules , got bats in the attic at the moment and they are breeding , they have gotten into my bedroom and im anxious to get rid of them . I dont want to harm them ,i would like to get rid (as in move them ) in the most humane way , any suggestions ? I understand they are an in dangered species and that is an additional reason why i wont want to cause them too much disruption , also do they carry any diseases as there is droppings round the house and i have kids ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

I know how you feel seres. My sister had bats in her attic a few years ago and she'd often open the hotpress to find one or more of them sitting there looking at her. They'd fallen down through the holes for the pipes into the attic. She had to pick them up and bring them back up to the attic with monotonous regularity. There was quite a bit of guano up there and the smell was a bit strange too.

Have a look at www.batconservationireland.org as there's some good information on there.

A lot of bats are on the endangered list and can not, by law, be harmed.

And if they are breeding you are not allowed, by law, to move them or harm them in any way.

Once they have finished breeding they will move on but may return again next year. Once they have moved, you'll need to locate all the holes in the roof that they may have used to get in and shore everything up so they can't get in again next year.
    If you were so inclined, you could also put bat boxes underneath the gutters so that they'd have a ready made home the next time they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

MaryK666 wrote: »
    I know how you feel seres. My sister had bats in her attic a few years ago and she'd often open the hotpress to find one or more of them sitting there looking at her. They'd fallen down through the holes for the pipes into the attic. She had to pick them up and bring them back up to the attic with monotonous regularity. There was quite a bit of guano up there and the smell was a bit strange too.

Have a look at www.batconservationireland.org as there's some good information on there.

A lot of bats are on the endangered list and can not, by law, be harmed.

And if they are breeding you are not allowed, by law, to move them or harm them in any way.

Once they have finished breeding they will move on but may return again next year. Once they have moved, you'll need to locate all the holes in the roof that they may have used to get in and shore everything up so they can't get in again next year.
    If you were so inclined, you could also put bat boxes underneath the gutters so that they'd have a ready made home the next time they arrive.

Good luck if you are trying to contact 'bat conservation ireland', I had a problem with bats two years ago and tried to contact them for advice, no one answered the phone and I never got a reply to the query I sent them via email. I hope their service has improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My uncle has them in his attic too, he lays sheets of plastic (the plasters use it comes in rolls) on the attic floor, and has bunged up an holes in the rooms in the attic. He removes the plastic every autumn and replaces for next year.
    He's delighted to have them as they eat insects so he can sit out in the evenings without moths and bugs all over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 holmum

we have moved into our new home, and three months in we appear to have bats. We found one in our bedroom (which is below the attic) and one this morning a smaller one downstairs at the bottom of the stairs cant figure where he came from (my hubby removed him outside)

Now I know they are harmless but I am absolutely petrified and cant relax.I walk into a room in the house and have to scan it before I can do anything. I am dreading going to sleep 2night.

We have a 3 children including a four month old and I now hear that there is a fear that bats are now carrying a virus. I am a woman on the edge. Help!

What can we do to move them on?

Advertisement