Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polytunnel questions

Options
  • 15-07-2011 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

I have my materials for a self-build and have a question on ventilation in hot weather.

I am building this on an allotment so there is just no way I can get up there every morning to open the doors before work. The allotment gates only open at 8am. But I should be able to do it 3 days a week, maybe 4. I should be fine for most of the summer with the doors shut day and night as I will have mesh on the doors permanently. This should be fine for summer night temperature drops. In Winter time I'll place poly covered panels on the doors.
    But what can I do about spring when night temps can get very low? I am thinking or putting a separate window in above the gable doors with a greenhouse automatic vent opener. Would this work?

Appreciate any concerns and suggestions as I'd like to get this clear in my head before I start to assemble it.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

redser7 wrote: »
    I have my materials for a self-build and have a question on ventilation in hot weather.

I am building this on an allotment so there is just no way I can get up there every morning to open the doors before work. The allotment gates only open at 8am. But I should be able to do it 3 days a week, maybe 4. I should be fine for most of the summer with the doors shut day and night as I will have mesh on the doors permanently. This should be fine for summer night temperature drops. In Winter time I'll place poly covered panels on the doors.
    But what can I do about spring when night temps can get very low? I am thinking or putting a separate window in above the gable doors with a greenhouse automatic vent opener. Would this work?

Appreciate any concerns and suggestions as I'd like to get this clear in my head before I start to assemble it.

Thanks

Big concern is that you won't be there 7 days a week in the summer, not just to open the doors but to irrigate whatever you plant unless your going with low care crops. Greenhouse/Polytunnel crops require more careful management in my opinion. So if you go ahead make sure you put in a sprayline or something similiar that when you get there in the evenings you can give a 10-15 min shower of water by attacting a hose to the end and go off to do some harvesting or weeding in your outdoor plot.

On warmer sunny days too I struggle to keep the temps contollable, it reaches above 100F in my glasshouse at times and that includes opening the door fully and all the vents(windows) in the roof so a quick spray of water in the early morning can help cool the crop during the hotter part of the day.

You never know you might get friendly with someone in the same allotment that could open up your tunnel the odd morning for you.

What crops do you plan to grow in spring in the polytunnel?

redser7 wrote: »

Thanks

Big concern is that you won't be there 7 days a week in the summer, not just to open the doors but to irrigate whatever you plant unless your going with low care crops. Greenhouse/Polytunnel crops require more careful management in my opinion. So if you go ahead make sure you put in a sprayline or something similiar that when you get there in the evenings you can give a 10-15 min shower of water by attacting a hose to the end and go off to do some harvesting or weeding in your outdoor plot.

On warmer sunny days too I struggle to keep the temps contollable, it reaches above 100F in my glasshouse at times and that includes opening the door fully and all the vents(windows) in the roof so a quick spray of water in the early morning can help cool the crop during the hotter part of the day.

What crops do you plan to grow in spring in the polytunnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks Corsendonk. Certainly a lot to consider. The ideal thing would be to come to an arrangement with someone to open the doors on days when I can't and vice versa. I'll ask around and see what turns up.
    Havn't decided yet. Probably standard greenhouse fair. Toms will definately feature. As will bedding plants. That will be the main benefit for me. Plus being able to grow out of season stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Or invest in one of these?

Cheers Nonmonotonic, that's the very thing I was talking about in the OP. Think I'll invest.

• Advertisement

Or invest in one of these?

Would do the job but you would need more than one depending on the polytunnel length and on each side of the tunnel roof.

Cheers. Yeah I'd have one each end built into the doors. Bit like stable doors, one half of each would open and close automatically. And above the door would be a narrow permenant vent to release the hottest air. Can't put anything on the sides unfortunately as I would have the cover stretched down over the hoops. Only place to do the ventilation would be the gable ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Apologies Redser, I dident fully read the post ( well past my bedtime! ). Maybe you can orientate your tunnel to create a natural flow of air through your 'gable ends'.

No worries, that's actually better than the ones I had seen as the temperature sensor arm is in the main arm, whereas the other ones have a long sensor arm sticking out.
    Yes I'll orientate it with the prevailing wind, problem is not being able to get up to it every day to open and close the doors to let the wind through. Hopefully a mixture of a small permenant vent plus the auto opener will see me through on days when I can't get up there.

Advertisement