Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolf Hybrid

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

caseyann wrote: »
    In the right hands and right environment,these beautiful animals are a wonderful companion.

If you are a Wolf then I agree. Humans can never be a companion for a Wolf unless, as Shaun does in the video, you live as a Wolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tired insomniac

No need for that.Consider this a first and only warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I would be very interested in what whispered asked and I dont think its a patronising question. I am genuinely curious having worked with wolves before myself and also work with dogs full time. I don't see it as being an issue of doubt, just of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We're speaking to someone about how difficult it is to look after a wolf x - then someone says she has what it takes to look after a wolf hybrid. Don't you think it would be interesting to hear, for instance "I've studied x" or "I've experienced y" so that the OP might see how much research and time was put into gaining that knowledge before feeling confident enough to have one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I could be wrong, but when sons of anarchy first came out, u see loads of people get a sudden interest in motorbikes that doesnt last.

Now that A Game of Thrones is the big thing and there are wolf pets in that I'm suspect that this is just a fad. . .

Sorry if I'm wrong its just what it comes across to me.

• Advertisement

I could be wrong, but when sons of anarchy first came out, u see loads of people get a sudden interest in motorbikes that doesnt last.

Now that A Game of Thrones is the big thing and there are wolf pets in that I'm suspect that this is just a fad. . .

Sorry if I'm wrong its just what it comes across to me.

I think that this does influence people. Certainly with dog breeds films can have a big influence. I sure that ISDW will correct me ;) but it does seem that there are a lot more Husky/Wolf appearance breeds around.

I don't think that this is a new phenomena. I can remember being told that there was a huge surge in Dalmatians after the Disney film. What we need is someone to make a blockbuster about a Pound dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Didn't half the country stop eating sausages when babe came out? :)

A pound dog film - surely there are a few already? Problem is people would want a dog like the one that was taken from the pound, not an actual pound dog if you know what I mean, unless very well written. DD get working on a script. :p

OP not saying you want a wolf due to a film! Just getting a little sidetracked.

Maybe bring back these:

images-3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Discodog wrote: »
    I think that this does influence people. Certainly with dog breeds films can have a big influence. I sure that ISDW will correct me ;) but it does seem that there are a lot more Husky/Wolf appearance breeds around.

I don't think that this is a new phenomena. I can remember being told that there was a huge surge in Dalmatians after the Disney film. What we need is someone to make a blockbuster about a Pound dog.

A pound dog that originated in a puppy farm, that was discarded due to ill health. Or overbreeding. And was bred with a runt to make "micro" versions of itself.

Like all the films like legally blonde that incorporated the evils of animal testing into a comedy. It still got the message across.

Sorry for sidetracking!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭fataltragedy

Have you looked into the Northern Inuit, Tamaskan & Utonagan breeds? I ask because those dogs are bred to specifically look like the wolf. I believe the Tamaskan has wolf somewhere in their lines, but I could be entirely wrong on that - can check it up though, as I know a girl in the States who owns one!

I also know a girl in the states (Texas) who owns a wolfdog, and who is purchasing a pup at the end of the summer. It seems to me the only "reputable" breeders - if you can attach that word to deliberate breeders of wolf hybrids for pets (which I personally don't really but that's just me:)) so you may need ot look further afield; most sales of them in Ire/Uk are scams.

• Advertisement

You would have big problems in breeding a hybrid in the UK, as owning a Wolf would require a license & they are not easy to get. Also if it became known that you were using it to produce hybrids then you would face prosecution.

There is also a problem in some of the "wolf like" working breeds are not suitable for the average dog owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tired insomniac

sorry for my previous post. i didnt mean offence so sorry if i caused any. i just think it was irrelevant. appologies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Hey OP,just have a read of these for your own sake.

I will come back in while to answer whispered :)

http://exoticpets.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=exoticpets&cdn=homegarden&tm=901&f=00&su=p284.9.336.ip_p504.1.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.inetdesign.com/wolfdunn/whate/whate1.html

Wolfdog FAQ - Question # 1
    Do wolfdogs make good pets ?

As a pet, I would say NO. As a companion, YES. These critters are,simply put, NOT FOR EVERYONE. Too few people are willing (or able) todevote the time and energy that wolfdogs require to become goodcompanion animals. "Good companions" is the point here. Companionimplies there is a sense of equality in the relationship - friend,compatriot, comrade. Friends are accepted for who they are, andintegrated into your life. You don't ignore your friends, chain them toa tree or abuse them. You cannot do that with wolfdogs either and expectthat they will become your friends.

http://exoticpets.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=exoticpets&cdn=homegarden&tm=1096&f=00&su=p284.9.336.ip_p504.1.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.inetdesign.com/wolfdunn/wolfdogfaq/

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/wolfdogs/a/wolfdogs.htm

I am getting a security alert on all three of those links.

But I could never take someone seriously who uses the word "critters".

And AFAIK "Wolf Dogs" don't exist except as term for a male ie Dog Wolf.

I am getting a security alert on all three of those links.

But I could never take someone seriously who uses the word "critters".

And AFAIK "Wolf Dogs" don't exist except as term for a male ie Dog Wolf.

You are sorry,thats weird.
    Its basic knowledge anyway and telling people to stay away from Wolfdogs.
    I will pull some of the info out later.
    And while i said i am capable and have the knowledge to take one as a rescue case.I would never be saying i am anyway an expert wolf dog person.I would have to be in my 60's before that can be achieved.(thats after years and years of study and interaction with them) I still would say have to be well into 60's before you can say expert on these types of breeds.Its a learning process for your whole life.
    You even see the lion man etc.. confidence but never ever underestimating what they can do.

Oh and the critters comment was from someone who owns one not actual expert.

Good questions for op to ask himself.

Why do I want a wolfdog, as opposed to a similar breed such as a husky or malamute? What would I be gaining, besides the ability to brag that "he's part wolf"?
    The novelty of that will wear off, and you'll want to be sure that when it does, there are enough things you love about these animals to take its place.

How much wolf content is best for me?
    You might be thinking "the more wolf, the better! I'd get a pure if I could find one!" Think again. If you've never had a dog before, you don't want a wolf. (In fact, you don't even want a wolfDOG, of *any* content.) If you've never lived with a "tough" northern breed (and loved it!) you definitely aren't ready for a high-content wolfdog. You might enjoy SAYING you have a "pet wolf", but trust me, it is the ONLY thing you will enjoy... and the animal will pay the price.

What is your home situation? Do you have young children?
    Again, I would not recommend a high content animal.

* How secure is your fencing?
    A low content GSD/wolf might be fine with a 6 foot perimeter fence... a husky/wolf or high content probably will not.

What do you plan on doing with your new companion?
    A high content-- with a lot of work-- might be great company for someone who spends lots of time at home... but if you are looking for a dog to do high-level obedience, or to greet customers who come into your store or office...you would be better off with just that-- a DOG. Remember also that not all high contents can ride in the car, even if started on it very young; severe carsickness is common in these guys.

How about YOU--your physical strength, and your strength of character? These animals are extremely powerful. If you are a petite gal of 115 pounds, you will be much better able to control a 70# wolf/husky, than a 125# wolf/mal or high content. In addition, your wolfdog will test you repeatedly... and the more wolf in your animal, the more frequently and intensely he is likely to test you. Are you very secure in your alpha-ship? ;)

* Do I know how to tell if the animal is really 94% wolf, like the breeder says?
    Have you done your homework? Many breeders don't know what they have, or will misrepresent the content to sell the pups for more money. Can *you* tell an almost-wolf from an almost-dog?

Do I know what I'm getting myself into?
    This is the biggie. Depending on the amount of wolf, and the breed(s) of dog, there is a wide variation in behaviour from one wolfdog to the next. Wolfdogs often have a lot of bad points that will, to many people, outweigh their good ones. Not all animals will display all of these bad habits...however, YOUR wolfdog could display any or all of them, so it is important to consider the worst case scenario. If your cute little Wolfie grows up to do all the things listed below, will he still have a place in your family?

They are highly destructive... we're not talking sneakers and the kids' action figures, we're talking upholstery and woodwork.
    ~Difficult to housebreak. It [may] take longer; and they may never be 100% reliable.
    ~Many are not good with small animals (including cats), or small kids. [Some] have a strong prey drive, and [should not] be left unattended with either.
    ~Did you want a watchdog? Forget it. [Most] don't bark, and they will not defend you or your stuff. YOU are the alpha, that's your job. Many are downright afraid of strangers and will run away if they approach.

Did you have a nice yard? (Past tense) It will soon look like a mine field. And keeping them IN that trashed yard is another challenge...they will dig under, jump, climb over, or break through the average "suburban" fence. Getting them a buddy will help-- a lot! --if you are willing to have multiple dogs. Chaining them is absolutely OUT.

~They howl, and it carries for miles. You might think it's beautiful... I do... but will your neighbors think so at 3am?
    ~Chances are, you'll never have a reliable recall, or a fully obedient dog. Much like cats, they tend to obey you 'when they feel like it'. They CAN be trained, but it takes more work and time and dedication than with a domestic dog.
    ~Are you willing to provide a better diet than grocery-store kibble? Wolfdogs need a meat-based, high-protein, non-corn/soy, low grains diet, which should be at least supplemented with raw meat and lots of bones.

Can you find a veterinarian who will treat your little bundle of joy? Many will not.

You will never find a breeder who is reputable in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

I would have to be in my 60's before that can be achieved.(thats after years and years of study and interaction with them) I still would say have to be well into 60's before you can say expert on these types of breeds.

Watch the youtube videos of Shaun Ellis - he might look old & haggled but he isn't really. There is one episode when he is invited to Yellowstone to advise on preventing Wolves from entering habited areas. One guy who has been studying Wolves comments that Shaun has learnt more in three years that he has learnt in a lifetime. Now he did lose his wife, nearly lost his life & his sanity but he thinks it's worth it - he even has a girlfriend !. The episode where she has to learn to be a Wolf cub nanny is amazing.

The truth is that an awful lot that has been written about regarding Wolves turns out to be hogwash. A proper 50:50 Wolf hybrid won't be a Wolf or a dog. It will be like a chimera that is totally confused. Hopefully the Animal Welfare Bill will make any cross breeding with wild animals illegal.

In answer to whispered question before.
    I have been very lucky over the years to have interacted with wolves in captivity and in wild areas of Europe.I have studied wolves from a very young age,My interest stemmed from childhood.I have also studied and interacted with hybrids over the years.And have many a friend who have them.

I personally would not advise anyone to get one.

Watch the youtube videos of Shaun Ellis - he might look old & haggled but he isn't really. There is one episode when he is invited to Yellowstone to advise on preventing Wolves from entering habited areas. One guy who has been studying Wolves comments that Shaun has learnt more in three years that he has learnt in a lifetime. Now he did lose his wife, nearly lost his life & his sanity but he thinks it's worth it - he even has a girlfriend !. The episode where she has to learn to be a Wolf cub nanny is amazing.

The truth is that an awful lot that has been written about regarding Wolves turns out to be hogwash. A proper 50:50 Wolf hybrid won't be a Wolf or a dog. It will be like a chimera that is totally confused. Hopefully the Animal Welfare Bill will make any cross breeding with wild animals illegal.

I think i know of him.I will check it out thanks.

Hopefully it will.But wouldn't you rather people registered and vetted so they can make sure they dont go underground?And then these animals turn up in shelters and destroyed?

But if they have their head set on one to have one,better to give them as much advice and not shout them down,and tell them how wrong they are and point them in right direction?

Hopefully it will.But wouldn't you rather people registered and vetted so they can make sure they dont go underground?And then these animals turn up in shelters and destroyed?

If you have any interest in Wolves I would be surprised if you hadn't heard of Shaun - he is the only person to live with a pack as a Wolf !

I very much doubt if there are many Wolves in private properties in Ireland that the authorities are not aware of. They are not exactly the quietest of animals & a pack needs a serious amount of space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

you can purchase wolf x rothwellier in portlaoise...100euro... i dont have one but know of one...looks lyk akita except sheds constantly..

• Advertisement

john t wrote: »
    you can purchase wolf x rothwellier in portlaoise...100euro... i dont have one but know of one...looks lyk akita except sheds constantly..

Probably 2% Wolf & 98% Rottie. There may be more Wolf in a pure bred Rottie. Such a great idea to combine Wolf's natural fear of man with the power of a Rottie :rolleyes:

The sad part is that when the dog attacks it will get the blame. The idiot that bred it will be well gone.

Hybrid owner i met said he saw both parents, i dont dispute wat people say.. only comment on dog... like i said it sheds lots..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The ad on done deal says they are €50, who seriously thinks they'd get a wolf hybrid for either €50 or 100, I met a Rottie x GSD pup once and it honestly couldn't look more like those pups. A fool and his money are easy parted!

I could show you a dog that looks uncannily like a Wolf but it definitely isn't. People get conned very easily. If you took say a female Rottie & a Male Wolf you would very likely end up with a nightmare on four legs.

I have been very close to EGAR's hybrid, which is a true 50:50 & he looks pretty much like a GSD but don't try to remove his dinner !

Going back too op, im not giving lecture.. or advice... so im outa here...

Advertisement