Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can hotel stop you from eating your own food in the room?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Could you bring a bag of crisps, a bar of chocolate etc? That's food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

I'm not sure. I was told if a person is eating an apple or an orange at reception they won't ask you to leave the hotel. Not sure about a Mars bar though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

smeedyova wrote: »
    I'm not sure. I was told if a person is eating an apple or an orange at reception they won't ask you to leave the hotel. Not sure about a Mars bar though.

Lol must be watching too much Fawlty towers...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ah yes ... the ol' was it a Bin or Toilet after a few jars on a night out. ;)
    For this reason, you should never really use the sink if it's in the same room as the beds; "the toilet was too far away"...

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

Hi all, was thinking about booking a break in a 5 star hotel in Ireland but heard that they have a sign in the room saying that people who eat food in the room that was not purchased from the hotel will be fined. I thought that if you paid for a hotel room it was yours for the duration and you could do anything, legal, that you wanted in it...Is anybody better informed? Thanks.

Please name and shame the hotel in question. In reality, it's completely unenforcable unless it's among the rules you signed agreement to upon check-in or booking. If you are fined, simply refuse to pay it and say 'show me where I agreed to that'. Conditions can't just be added after you are shown to your room - the agreement is made on booking or check-in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

spoonface wrote: »
    Please name and shame the hotel in question. In reality, it's completely unenforcable unless it's among the rules you signed agreement to upon check-in or booking. If you are fined, simply refuse to pay it and say 'show me where I agreed to that'. Conditions can't just be added after you are shown to your room - the agreement is made on booking or check-in.

You could have agreed to it without it being specifically stated in the conditions. There might be a general term saying that you agree to be bound by the hotels rules. If you are particularly concerned about what the hotels rules are, it's up to you to contact them and find out before booking. Obviously most people don't bother doing that and just discover the "rules" when they arrive in the forms of signs etc.

I suspect it's something that is not enforced too often, but just a tool they like to have in their backpocket in case a guest starts taking the p$ss e.g. has something that smells awful or spills 4 takeaways on the carpet and doesn't want to pay for the cleaning. I suppose the few that take it seriously will spend more on the premises too.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,878 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    A friend has a B&B, she doesn't allow food in the bedroom, but has no problems setting a table downstairs for takeaway etc. There's no where suitable to eat up stairs so when other guests ate chipper food there, they got grease on the bed sheets.

So they don't wash the sheets when the next guest books in? Classy place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

no, the sheets were stained so they were replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

maxer68 wrote: »
    So how come Loch Eske Castle in Donegal won best luxury hotel in the world?

Also 5 star means different things depending on location. 5 star in a city would be 5 star business service, whereas 5 star in a resort area would mean 5 star holiday service. So comparing a resort hotel in Dubai with a business hotel in Dublin can't be done.
    Indeed loch Eske is a fine hotel and maybe the best 5 star in Ireland but its never the best luxury hotel in the world,i have stayed in luxury hotels from Mexico to china and have worked in a few as well that would put any hotel in Ireland to shame .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

spoonface wrote: »
    Please name and shame the hotel in question.

Please don't name the establishment in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,566 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

5500 wrote: »
    This actually happened me awhile ago in a hotel in bray (not sure about naming names but it has a simular name to the monarchy) On my way back to the room at about 11.30 I was stopped in the lobby with my big bag of chips and told by a porter that I couldnt bring them into the hotel (no food was available in the hotel at that time either)

I asked for the manager and apparently said porter was in charge that night and what he said went. I politely told him where to go and went to my room with my grub.

I didnt see any signs of it being policy in the hotel, and the next morning checking out he was nowhere to be found nor was a manager. I followed it up with an email but never heard any reply from them.

Stayed in that hotel 5 times about 2 years ago. Never a problem with the night porters regards food etc. Found them to be really sound actually.
    Management however was a different story. On our final visit there our room was a disaster (fan buzzing outside window from 3am, no hot water etc.) We mentioned it on leaving to reception and the duty manager who was hovering (not hoovering) came over with the helpful remark 'what do you want me to do about it? If you really need a shower you can use one of the other vacated bathrooms before we clean the room' as he pointedly looked at his watch.
    We also emailed the hotel but no response. Needless to say it was our last visit there.
    Back on topic I presume the food rule is just in case somebody messes up the room too much so the hotel can cover themselves, same as the group deposits etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Hi all, was thinking about booking a break in a 5 star hotel in Ireland but heard that they have a sign in the room saying that people who eat food in the room that was not purchased from the hotel will be fined. I thought that if you paid for a hotel room it was yours for the duration and you could do anything, legal, that you wanted in it...Is anybody better informed? Thanks.

That would be very Irish alright..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's a coverall rule OP.
    I've stayed in hotels for six weeks straight for work and worked on the other side as a porter.
    Taking a pizza up to your room is no issue at all and the staff will take away the box in the morning as rubbish

But a gang of ye can't sit in the lobby eating pizza. It looks bad and it's not the hotels food. So that's fair enough and you didn't mention it

Joe Duffy had a segment on a guy drinking wine in his room and the hotel charged him corkage, outrageous! The manager came on the radio, apolgogized and gave a voucher.
    But the rule was there as drinking in your room is cool but six or more lads buying a slap and drinking in a room is not on and the night porter would sort that out, did it myself.

I realize I've given examples that didn't happen here.
    My point is there are catch all rules that are to deal with messing and parties in rooms but some hotel staff fail to use discretion and hassle the quiet single person causing no trouble

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Book a room in a 5 star hotel, but eat takeway food in the room?
    Just book a 3 star and eat in the restaurant......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I've stayed in hotels before where the front desk has take away menus and will recommend places you should order from. In a hotel I stayed in in NYC, take away menus were often slipped under the door of the room. In Vegas, one night when we were really tired we got takeout and had it in the room too.

Generally I get takeaway food in a hotel when I'm really tired or in a slightly isolated location. Takeaway is generally nicer and cheaper than the hotel restaurant too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Hi all, was thinking about booking a break in a 5 star hotel in Ireland but heard that they have a sign in the room saying that people who eat food in the room that was not purchased from the hotel will be fined.

I don't think any of us read the OP properly.

Re-reading it - he/she "heard" - heard from who? Have they even bothered to ring the hotel and check the policy?

Possibly there may be a sign regarding certain types of foods - such as late night takeaway type stuff and this would be more because of the mess and smell it can leave behind.

If you read the rest of the thread it will be clear that I did "bother" to ring the hotel and they confirmed that the sign exists and that it applies to all foods, except perhaps an apple or an orange that one might be eating on check-in.

I became aware of it first through a friend and then I read same on Tripadvisor, where a person who had stayed at the hotel had complained about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

If you read the rest of the thread it will be clear that I did "bother" to ring the hotel and they confirmed that the sign exists and that it applies to all foods, except perhaps an apple or an orange that one might be eating on check-in.

I became aware of it first through a friend and then I read same on Tripadvisor, where a person who had stayed at the hotel had complained about it.

apologies - but then it probably to do with problems they have encountered by other guests. Unfortunately there are quite a few people who treat other peoples property with total distain and it casues problems for everyine.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Got a link to Tripadvisor review you could share with us?

I don't think I'm allowed to name the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

I don't think I'm allowed to name the place.

dudara, maybe you can provide some guidane here?

All be it without evidence the name should not be posted here but if it's all ready in the public domain then surely there is no harm in providing a link to the website?

I already requested that the hotel not be named - unless you can find the information on the hotel website. Anything else is unvalidated.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭macman2010

What next, no sex in the room unless you use a condom which has been bought in the hotel toliet:eek:

macman2010 Please stick to the topic at hand

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Take no notice and enjoy your meal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

dudara wrote: »
    I already requested that the hotel not be named - unless you can find the information on the hotel website. Anything else is unvalidated.

dudara

You've two sources, the OP (verified by phone call) and a tripadvisor review.

The hotel should be named.

jimogr wrote: »
    dudara wrote: »

dudara

You've two sources, the OP (verified by phone call) and a tripadvisor review.

The hotel should be named.

Neither of which come from the hotel directly.

If you wish to take this further, then please do so off-thread and do not add further noise.

dudara

Well, I'll be staying in the hotel in a couple of weeks. If I take a picture of the guidelines in the room can I name it then?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Well, I'll be staying in the hotel in a couple of weeks. If I take a picture of the guidelines in the room can I name it then?
    I for one would love to see your holiday snaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

After all that you are still staying in the hotel?? I'm sorry but that is so Irish! There are plenty of fab hotels out there, crying out for business and this hotel which has a ridiculous policy will continue to get custom.
    OT I know, but that is the problem in this country, we whinge and complain among ourselves but when it comes to actually doing something about an issue we walk away. Doing something in this instance would have been simply going a different hotel and mailing the original hotel and explaining why.

Advertisement