Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can hotel stop you from eating your own food in the room?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

whiterebel wrote: »
    Book a room in a 5 star hotel, but eat takeway food in the room?
    Just book a 3 star and eat in the restaurant......;)

You get really sick of restaurant quality food if your doing hotels for any length of time. A takeaway is a nice break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i have to chip in here and say that i for one couldnt recommend the Jury's Croke Park hotel in Dublin highly enough as far as staff bending over backwards to oblige goes, i stayed there on one occassion and there was a film on tv that night so i popped down to the nearby Centra shop and bought myself some microwave popcorn and a large bottle of coke, got back to the hotel and asked the manager could i ask one of the staff in the restaurant to pop it in the microwave for me, he brought me down to the kitchen and asked the chef would he mind. twenty minutes later i had a big bowl of warm popcorn delivered to my room!

i have to say all the staff i encountered were very pleasant and obliging, even the receptionist who when i asked where was a good place to go in dublin he recommended copperface jacks, i knew from the glint in his eye that CFJ probably wasnt my cup of tea, so ten minutes googling later (i wasnt charged €5 for wifi access either, clarion take note!) i ended up getting a taxi out to a club called barcode, jesus was THAT an eye opener, lol, (same teeny bopper crowd as CFJ) but i'd a good night, nothing mad happened, and i got back to the hotel in one piece at least! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A hotel has no power to fine anyone. Only the Gardaí and the courts can do that. Is this hotel a statutory body with the power to issue fines?
    I would simply laugh at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

bcirl03 wrote: »
    How would they even impose the fine?

If they added it to the bill I wouldnt be paying it and would also copy up to Trip Advisor.

Any chance ya can name n shame?
    i thought this was the policy of nearly ever hotel in the world :eek:
    i nearly always notice that you cant eat your own food! ive seen it in ireland and abroad. think i usually see it in the hotel information book in the room.

sure you guys just havent realised thats the rule because ye havent read it?

doesnt stop me bringing it in and eating in. just bring it in a shopping bag and throw it out the next morning

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭ted1

are you booking a deal, wher ethe deal states that you must spend x amount on food while staying there.

if so then it makes sense.

examples of these type deals are the applegreen breaks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

A hotel has no power to fine anyone. Only the Gardaí and the courts can do that. Is this hotel a statutory body with the power to issue fines?
    I would simply laugh at them.

They could apply a soiling charge.

IMO, these rules are there to stop people creating a mess in the room with certain types of food and covers the hotel if they have to do extra cleaning. - The "fine" can just be a soilage charge, similar to taxis.

But if you're careful and don't leave a mess, they probably won't have an issue.

At the end of the day, the rule is brought in for a reason - and probably because some people simply abused the room and caused far too much damage to sheets / carpet etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

As far as I am concerned you are in a hotel to rent a room for the night. If they want to stipulate no food in that room etc they'd better put it in the contract from the get-go otherwise they can bugger off for themselves.

SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Thomas1981

I think if you do it discreetly and don't be obvious about brining food up to your room then it is fine. hotels can't surely be that sticky given the currently economic environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭oldmantime

StudentDad wrote: »
    As far as I am concerned you are in a hotel to rent a room for the night. If they want to stipulate no food in that room etc they'd better put it in the contract from the get-go otherwise they can bugger off for themselves.

SD

100% right, contract is formed when you hand over money, they can't amend it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

oldmantime wrote: »
    ... contract is formed when you hand over money...

Not so. It is formed when agreement is reached. That might be marked by the handing over of money, but it might equally be marked by other actions (think, for example, of a credit sale).
    they can't amend it afterwards.

Generally true. But if there are T&Cs flagged, and one party has failed to read or has failed to understand them, it might not be a change after the event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

Generally true. But if there are T&Cs flagged, and one party has failed to read or has failed to understand them, it might not be a change after the event.

Yes, there is often a condition on the website that you agree to the hotel rules. It would then be up to the person to contact the hotel and find out what the rules are. Obviously most people don't go to the trouble of checking the rules, so they take their chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭oldmantime

Not so. It is formed when agreement is reached. That might be marked by the handing over of money, but it might equally be marked by other actions (think, for example, of a credit sale).

I'm not saying money is the only thing, once offer, acceptance, intention to create legal relations and consideration (which in the case of a hotel room is money in some form or another) are present, the contract is formed

That's not what I was saying, you make your contract based on an agreement, that agreement is made when the contract is completed. They can't add to it afterwards, which, if they in this case, informed the guest when they arrived that they couldn't bring food up, that is altering the contract which they are not entitled to do.

If it has a "subject to terms and conditions", it may be valid, it may not, it depends on how it's presented, if it's presented in a way that makes it easy to miss or discourages you from reading it, it may not be valid.

edit: "but heard that they have a sign in the room saying that people who eat food in the room that was not purchased from the hotel will be fined" - having the sign in the room would amount to adding conditions after the creation of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Worked in hotels for years and stayed in hotels alot. Even worked as night manager and the only policy we had regarding outside food was that you are not allowed to eat it in public areas.
    And this was in 4 star chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

So they don't wash the sheets when the next guest books in? Classy place :D
    or possibly just that grease is impossible to properly clean off sheets....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭julyjane

phill106 wrote: »
    Worked in hotels for years and stayed in hotels alot. Even worked as night manager and the only policy we had regarding outside food was that you are not allowed to eat it in public areas.
    And this was in 4 star chains.

That's fair enough IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

Would love to seem them try to enforce this!! Have worked in 4 & 5 star hotel and as far as I know, this role originally came from large events/weddings where under HACCAP food safety rules, we would have to verify that any food "served" to guests was at an appropriate standard etc etc. You would have no way of verifying this unless you made it yourself. Wedding cakes were the exception as they were cold food with little risk of food poisoning and usually bought from reputable suppliers that you could refer food poisoning claims to.

For example, if it was your mams dodgy cocktail sausages that gave you food poisoning, whats to stop you suing the hotel and or/thinking it was the main meal you had in the restaurant?

But food bought by an individual from an outside supplier for consumption by that person in the privacy of their own room?? Cant touch you!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chi Force

The reason 5 star hotels in Ireland are rubbish is becuase the staff get paid regardless, whereas other Countries part of their wage is tips.

Well I can't speak for all of them but in one of the biggest ones, tips certainly make up a significant and important part of many employees' overall incomes and go some way towards compensating for the notoriously crappy wages paid in the sector, management aside.

I don't work for them or any hotel btw.

Perhaps your brush could be changed between tarrings? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

maglite wrote: »
    You get really sick of restaurant quality food if your doing hotels for any length of time. A takeaway is a nice break.

I get really sick of looking at hotel rooms, and prefer a break by eating out. I particularly prefer to go out if there's a stink of takeaway left in a room.

Advertisement