Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable company for my Lab/Boxer

• 15-07-2011 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi there,

We have an extremely playful Lab/Boxer, just gone 15 months. I'd like to get a smaller dog as well, but it'd have to be strong like a Staffy. My biggest fear is that the 2 dogs would bond into a mini-pack and go chasing livestock, as we live in the middle of an extensively worked farming area. There are always lots of calves around, which are already very tempting for our dog on his own.

The logic, if any, for getting a 2nd dog is to keep them busy together instead of going after livestock. However, a dog breeder I knows says the risk of them chasing livestock skyrockets to 10 times more likely, rather than doubling, when there are 2 dogs together.

So I suppose my question is, what breed of dog definitely doesn't have any interest in livestock? We tried a cat (:D), and they were getting used to each other; but the cat was too wild to keep in the house to be honest, so we gave her back!

Thanks for reading,

e.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

HiKite wrote: »
    However, a dog breeder I knows says the risk of them chasing livestock skyrockets to 10 times more likely, rather than doubling, when there are 2 dogs together.

Rubbish. I have three dogs that have all had to learn about livestock. My newest youngster Lab\collie has been introduced to horses, cows & sheep. He has been taken into fields, on lead, so that he knows what they are.

Your first job is to ensure that your existing dog is bombproof with livestock. I have a Saluki that is an ex coursing dog & I can walk her through a field of rabbits off lead.

I would constantly walk him through fields of livestock on lead so that they become the norm. Put him on a 24 flexi lead & praise him when he doesn't chase. If you still have problems then come back here & people will recommend a good trainer.

Once he is sorted then get a companion & simply repeat the process. Two dogs are much easier than one & they bond with you rather than forming a pack.

Also always speak to local farmers so that if he does chase they know that you are nearby & that their livestock is not at risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Do you have some sort of aversion to fences or something :confused: You are required by law to keep your dog on your own property at all times anyway unless you are fully in control of it so I see no difference between one dog and two. Unless you keep livestock in your garden they aren't likely to go chasing any :D

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭HiKite

Well EXCUSE me ;)

I'd prefer if our garden was totally escape-proof, but it's massive and we're renting here, so I don't envisage us ploughing a wad of cash into it. We have a 30 foot line we use to restrict his movements, but he's not ALWAYS on it.

discodog gave some helpful advice, I'll start there.

Do you have some sort of aversion to fences or something :confused: You are required by law to keep your dog on your own property at all times anyway unless you are fully in control of it so I see no difference between one dog and two. Unless you keep livestock in your garden they aren't likely to go chasing any :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Your excused,

No offence was intended either, I own horses and if I found someone's dog on my property regardless of what it was doing there it would go straight to the pound. My neighbours dogs have already killed a horse, it cost him the guts of 6 grand, and he got off a lot more lightly than he would have were it one of mine. He'd have built a truly amazing fence for the cost of 6 grand.

So why don't you start there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭HiKite

We'll be OK without the fence, thanks. I will definitely step up the animal socialization though, we've a good rapport with the farmers who own the land around us. Sorry to hear about your neighbours horse, sounds horrific. Nothing like this situation, thankfully. Forgot to mention that he's an indoor dog, and isn't let run wild; it's just that we are on a farm house in the middle of fields of livestock. Let the training begin..
    Your excused,

No offence was intended either, I own horses and if I found someone's dog on my property regardless of what it was doing there it would go straight to the pound. My neighbours dogs have already killed a horse, it cost him the guts of 6 grand, and he got off a lot more lightly than he would have were it one of mine. He'd have built a truly amazing fence for the cost of 6 grand.

So why don't you start there ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement