Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat & Kids Update

• 15-07-2011 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Ye probably won't remember but almost 12 months ago I had a thread on here looking for advice re our cat and our imminent new arrival to the household
    Thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67606426

Well baba is 7 months old now so i thought it was time for an update

First off thanks to all for the great advice especially The Sweeper

Our cat has been AMAZING with the baby its so cool

From the minute she could focus her eyes she's been watching him, she'd do ANYTHING to get hold of him i reckon but kitty is too cute and keeps well out of reach most of the time
    When she is in her bouncer and he comes up to me for a pet or a treat he either jumps clear over her or keeps just out of reach of her outstretched arms (its like he has inbuilt radar to know how far she can reach) :D

There have been 2 occassions when she got him
    Once by the collar when he wandered too close and he dropped to the ground and stayed still til she forgot him & let it go
    Once she made a grab for his tail as he swished past and he changed direction pronto before she got a grip! :rolleyes:

BUT the positive things have really surprised me
    She was wailing in her cot one day I was otherwise engaged and couldn't run up immediately after 2 minutes there was dead silence and when i got upstairs there was kitty standing on hind legs staring through the bars of the cot at the baby & baby in cot stunned into silence staring out at him!

The other night I went to bed & forgot to turn on the monitor she woke at 6am ish and I was woken by kitty licking my face (which he never does) I'd swear he was waking me to alert me to the babs!

In the garden when I have her out with me on her playmat he goes into guard cat mode & chases the butterflies & wasps & garden flies away from us (very handy)

In the house when babs is in the playpen he sits outside staring in at her for hours and even sleeps beside it sometimes

When she arrived last Christmas he was very curious about her it must be said and was constantly sniffing her but now I've had her on the floor a few times to change her and he'll sneak up from behind and give her a quick lick on the head before going into prompt retreat before she realises he's within reach!

All in all I very successful integration I think! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Aw great story OP....next stop is to post pics!!!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

That's such a lovely story, thanks for the update.
    Animals really are amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

cute, thanks for posting this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Little_Focker

Thats brilliant - I think a lot of the time people fret about cats or dogs around new babies! Im due a baby soon and have 3 cats and the amount of people that say to me "when am I getting rid of them"? "shur you couldnt have them around a baby" :mad::mad: Well it didnt do me any harm when I was a baby!!

Was talking to a girl in a shop today and happened to mention that I have cats and she says "uurrrggh I hate cats" I said well obviously I dont or I wouldnt have 3 :rolleyes: She then looked at my bump and said "And what will you do when the baby arrives" I was like "what do you mean what will i do, I wont do anything!! She then said that her brother's wife was pregnant and the husband told her the cats had to go as you couldnt have them around a baby :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Where the hell do people get these mad ideas from????

Advertisement