Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James Joyce - Pub free route across Dublin?

Options
  • 15-07-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

I know a young guy recently worked out a way of crossing Dublin without passing a pub. I'm not sure he's right though. His route went from the Grand canal down Harcourt st and along Stephens Green, turning left before reaching the old 'Rice's pub'.
    My question is, do any of you older guys remember a pub at the corner of Cuffe St. and Stephens Green? My memory is that there was quite a big pub there and it disappeared when they widened Cuffe st.

Your comments appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

The first line of your post confuses me, he worked out a way to cross Dublin and not pass a pub or his intention was to pass pubs. Sorry for the confusion,if it's the former he failed on Harcourt st,there's several,also a couple on South Richmond st and not to mention the Barge. So he either started at Lesson or Sally's bridge?..... I'm intrigued, even on the bottom of Harcourt st,the stephens green hotel,it has a bar, if you continue on to the west side of the green there's another Hotel just after the old church, are bars in hotels not included as pubs?

Sorry for the ramble,I'd love to know the route he took, perhaps it's possible not to pass a pub if hotel bars were not included, it would certainly be difficult if they were:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

dubtom wrote: »
    The first line of your post confuses me, he worked out a way to cross Dublin and not pass a pub or his intention was to pass pubs. Sorry for the confusion,if it's the former he failed on Harcourt st,there's several,also a couple on South Richmond st and not to mention the Barge. So he either started at Lesson or Sally's bridge?..... I'm intrigued, even on the bottom of Harcourt st,the stephens green hotel,it has a bar, if you continue on to the west side of the green there's another Hotel just after the old church, are bars in hotels not included as pubs?

Sorry for the ramble,I'd love to know the route he took, perhaps it's possible not to pass a pub if hotel bars were not included, it would certainly be difficult if they were:pac:

Apologies Tom - I assumed everyone knew about this famous puzzle from Ulysses. Anyway hotels are excluded from the exercise.

Advertisement