Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Implications from changing from concrete frame to steel fram

• 15-07-2011 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi all,

Im an Arch Tech who has moved to London and spent the last 10 months trying to get work. I finally got an interview and part of the interview is a scenario discussion.

The scenario is the D & B contractor wants to change from a concrete frame to a steel frame can you discuss the implications of such a switch?

Its just passed planning and is a bio chemical research lab. You guys have been great in the past with advice before i left and on any other queries so i came here as i dont know any architects over here to discuss it with.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi all,

Im an Arch Tech who has moved to London and spent the last 10 months trying to get work. I finally got an interview and part of the interview is a scenario discussion.

The scenario is the D & B contractor wants to change from a concrete frame to a steel frame can you discuss the implications of such a switch?

Its just passed planning and is a bio chemical research lab. You guys have been great in the past with advice before i left and on any other queries so i came here as i dont know any architects over here to discuss it with.

Thanks
    i've highlighted the key words as i see them

steel is faster to construct but may have longer lead in times. (end project times wont be much different, just may get the building roof on quicker) .steel will reduce some of the wet trades on site, which may suit earlier fitting times

it would be worth checking the BREEAM green guide to specification regarding the floor constructions rating if changed from (example) conc instu flat slab or steel decking and screed

there's plenty more considerations.... fire, perceived security, probably some tricky stuff regarding bunds etc of chemical plant best handled by concrete?

have you googled conc V steel? also I find the CIOB a useful resource and the Architects Journal and building.co.uk .. there's plenty more

tell us more about your job hunt, is it really that difficult to get work sorted in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Joxer Brown

i was promised jobs with irish property dev companies from getting to know people but they are tied up with irish banks so it could be any time before they go to site.

Things are starting to improve in the last few weeks even im seeing more jobs advertised and getting feedback. i was applying for jobs for 9 months without reply.

Revit is big here so if you are good at revit it makes life easier. i have only 1 years experience as well which is a stumbling block but anyone that has looked at my portfolio has said its to a very high standard and that irish professionals are held in high regard in this sector.

I was apprehensive about the different codes and regs etc but regs seem to be the same. Part B fire, M disability , k stairs etc. building control reports would be new to me but only one way to learn!

Thanks for the info (C v S) anyway much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Just a point, if your building is multi-storey you will probably end up encasing the steel frame in concrete up to the top floors anyway for Fire Safety - Structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Joxer Brown

interview thursday so im putting my case together tomorrow any final help would be great thanks lads!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

suppose just to summerise:

1. ensure that the change from conc to steel doesnt impinge on planning by ensuring the same external facades. otherwise new planning may be required

2. implications to building regulations. check here for a list. the obvious implications are significant changes to Part B, fire safety. Its quite possible a new approval would need to be sought from building control as the change impacts fire spread of the structure, structural stability, etc.

3. typical construction design changes required is cladding to steel frame as opposed to conc frame. mech and elec changes. etc

4. internal environmental changes. Implication to BREEAM and SBEM . Possible a new SBEM application will be required. Brush up on your iSBEM here. thermal mass will be affected. Possible bring passive design principles into this.... perhaps reference tesco store in tramore

5. changes specific to bio chemical usage. Is it more economically viable to service bio chemical labs with steel than cocn? if so why? look at ventilation, fire prevention systems, deconamination units etc.

6. then look at on-site implications... project schedules improved, lead -in times etc as per bryanf's post. perhaps mention current steel prices...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hank jw

Joxer,

I'm also an AT heading across the water in search of work soon. How did the interview/scenario discussion go?

I know from D.I.T especially students have been exposed to Revit for quite a while now and is being promoted heavily. English firms seem to be taking to BIM a good deal quicker than firms here.

Advertisement