Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to work in the US

Options
  • 15-07-2011 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭

Not sure how to go about this, would it be wise to go to college and have some form of qualification before going over there?
    I was thinking of doing forestry, on completion would this cert be recognised by American employers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You can't just go over, you need a visa. Work visas are difficult to get, and you usually need to be highly skilled (have a Masters in something like science etc). One option is to study over there (F1 student visas are easy to get, but US university fees are expensive), then make connections with employers that might sponsor you. Another option is to study in Ireland and then go over for a few months or a year on a J1 intern visa. I don;t think forestry would be a rare enough occupation to get a work visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

I'd agree with silja-go to college here, get an F1 next summer and a job offer from anyone involved in landscaping or forestry, then you'll get a social security number. Once you qualify, if you can find a sponsor for employment there, I think it will be even easier to get in to work there, and the authorities will be delighted if you already have a Soc Sec number. Great country, fundamentally good, fair people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭greenmachine88

thanks for the information, I'll look into both options. Any more help appreciated!

Advertisement