Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper insurance on less than 1.8m

Options
  • 15-07-2011 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, anyone got camper insurance for a camper than is less than 1.8m internal height.

Looking at both Dolmen and Stuarts their T&C state the old 1.8m height rule.

Is there any other options or do they now allow these once registered as a motorhome with Rosslare?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sam.b

Really no one with a pop top van on this forum? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

sam.b wrote: »
    Really no one with a pop top van on this forum? :confused:
    That's a different question to your original post!

Stuarts and Dolmen always covered pop-tops as far as I'm aware, even when revenue wouldn't allow them for tax classification purposes. If it's a tin top, they're the only ones that can confirm.

For what it's worth, I found both of them responded to emails with questions I had when I was weighing up options, if it's not convenient to phone them.

Sorry, should have been more clear in my intial post. I was basing the 1.8m on the roof closed rules as that what was stopping me getting registered in the past.

Should i take for insurance they mean over 1.8m with the roof open?
    Dolmen got back they were very polite and helpful and also suggested some alternatives to try but

"We have queried this with AXA before and as it stands under their criteria the internal height requirement is still 1.8m for the scheme."

Waiting on response from the others..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

You have to just go on the insurance companies tbh. They should come back to you. Maybe clarify you have a pop top, if you hadn't?

We're with Dolmen and it has a pop top, but it is/ was registered as a motorcaravan, and was a purpose built camper not a conversion - both of which could make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Sorry, should have been more clear in my intial post. I was basing the 1.8m on the roof closed rules as that what was stopping me getting registered in the past.

Should i take for insurance they mean over 1.8m with the roof open?
    Dolmen got back they were very polite and helpful and also suggested some alternatives to try but

"We have queried this with AXA before and as it stands under their criteria the internal height requirement is still 1.8m for the scheme."

Waiting on response from the others..

Just for the record did you get any clarification on this?

• Advertisement

paddyp wrote: »
    Just for the record did you get any clarification on this?

As far as I could tell from initial inquiry’s the rule stands as per the policy wording, however pop-tops are included in the over 1.8.

I am planning to get a pop-top fitted anyway but its an expensive extra if you don't want one for other reasons than insurance.

If anyone knows of an insurance company with different rules please post here too..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

As far as I could tell from initial inquiry’s the rule stands as per the policy wording, however pop-tops are included in the over 1.8.

I am planning to get a pop-top fitted anyway but its an expensive extra if you don't want one for other reasons than insurance.

If anyone knows of an insurance company with different rules please post here too..

phone one of them and ask!

phone one of them and ask!

I phoned 5 of them and asked... hence the post in response to paddyp request for clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I phoned 5 of them and asked... hence the post in response to paddyp request for clarification.
    OK sorry didn't know. What camper is it, you could try joining the Motor caravan club or

http://www.iccc.ie/

http://www.motorcaravanclub.net/

if it's a VW then type2ireland

the motorcaravan club would have the most pull but they won't help you unless you join first and I wouldn't even call them till you join - thats just the way they are.

Also try a broker, espically a smaller Kennedy and Co in Arklow 0402 91096
    or

Insuremyvan.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭philahern

Would be keen to know if anyone has insurance on a camper under 1.8m too. I am thinking of converting a small type van so would be good to know before I buy. Hard to get answers on quotes when you don't even have a van yet.

One other thing. If you can't get camper insurance, presumably there's nothing stopping you getting normal insurance quote for the van?

• Advertisement

I have contacted a few places now and they all seem to be underwritten by the same people and none of them so far accept anything under 1.8m :-( Stumble at the last hurdle.

Ok, just to let you know I contacted the http://www.motorcaravanclub.net/ and they will insure it in their scheme as long as it's a good conversion. The guy is sending me out the info pack by mail. Happy days!

Just to update Domlen confirmed this morning that the insurance has caught up with the revenue on this now.

"Hi Sam,

You can insure the camper as a camper now if it is under 1.8 m as the height restriction is no longer in force.

Kind Regards

XXXXXXX"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Super news made my day thanks pints for you should we cross paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dowey

I asked Dolmen last week about insuring for a van under 1.8 and was told they wouldnt insure it.
    Has anyone insured with them for such a van?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Going to check tomorrow myself..has any got insurance anywhere????

Advertisement