Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom tech advice to me? Google it!!!!

Options
  • 15-07-2011 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

What a joke,we are new broadband buisness customers with eircom.They sent us the router to set up,which we did and the internet is fine,just some issues with our incoming/outgoing mail server which is very important to us.Basically I spent a couple of hours yesterday and today being passed around from section to section to section just looking for a static ip address for the router which I'm now told we have to pay for!,(this was never explained to us by our weekly sales visitor the "desperate for our buisness" Eircom salesman).He has now departed the scene.This kind of hidden charging really pees me off.I was told yesterday the Ip address was free but it was an admin charge!!Whats the difference?,it still has to be paid for.
    Anyway when I asked another question about port forwarding with the router they sent me I am told they do not offer support for this router!This is the same router EIRCOM sent me that has a big EIRCOM logo on it and EIRCOM tell me they do not offer support for it.The technicians on two occasions told me to Google it!!
    What a joke Eircom, I'm sure it'll all be fine but the support and call centre system seems to be all over the shop.You know it would be nice to deal with one person who handles your issues instead of constantly holding and re-expaining you issues over and over again.
    Rant over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

igorbiscan wrote: »
    What a joke,we are new broadband buisness customers with eircom.They sent us the router to set up,which we did and the internet is fine,just some issues with our incoming/outgoing mail server which is very important to us.Basically I spent a couple of hours yesterday and today being passed around from section to section to section just looking for a static ip address for the router which I'm now told we have to pay for!,(this was never explained to us by our weekly sales visitor the "desperate for our buisness" Eircom salesman).He has now departed the scene.This kind of hidden charging really pees me off.I was told yesterday the Ip address was free but it was an admin charge!!Whats the difference?,it still has to be paid for.
    Anyway when I asked another question about port forwarding with the router they sent me I am told they do not offer support for this router!This is the same router EIRCOM sent me that has a big EIRCOM logo on it and EIRCOM tell me they do not offer support for it.The technicians on two occasions told me to Google it!!
    What a joke Eircom, I'm sure it'll all be fine but the support and call centre system seems to be all over the shop.You know it would be nice to deal with one person who handles your issues instead of constantly holding and re-expaining you issues over and over again.
    Rant over.

Hi igorbiscan,

Thanks for contacting eircom on Boards.

Apologies if you were not advised on purchasing your static IP address.

In order to obtain a static IP, the only option is to purchase this through our Broadband Sales - 1800503303 (freefone).

As far as Technical Support goes, they offer standard Broadband connectivity support through eircom and non-eircom routers. In general terms, this involves a PPPoE login across our Authentication Servers. The eircom modems are pre-configured by default, and hence there is no need to make any changes. If it is a non-eircom modem, the PPPoE settings are generally easily changed so Technical Support can direct you to change these to connect to eircom's broadband.

Regarding Portwarding. It can be difficult for an ISP to support a customer's port forwarding for a third party device or game or mailserver. It is mainly because eircom won't have all the 3rd party settings. Apart from this, it can depend on what requirements an individual vendor specifies. This is why Technical Support will usually refer to the manufacturer or vendor of the device or game. Though certainly, Technical Support can show you the location of entering the Portwarding options. . For e.g : if redirecting a bit torrent client or game (Xbox, PS3, etc), then Technical Support would need to know the these indivual settings for each client setup.

I find the following website is by far the best stop for help on portwarding with eircom modems. You can also find similar illustrated help for other types of modem on the same website :
    If using the eircom Netopia Modem - LINK
    If using the eircom Zyxel Modem - LINK

Please remember to select the service you require, and it will show you where to place your settings on the router. Also, skip over any web advsertising page.

Note also, that the eircom IP address of their router web interface is : 192.168.1.254 and not 192.168.1.1 (as may be illustrated on some of these forums, or sources).
    Also, if prompted for a login password for the Zyxel router, simply type : broadband1 (in small letters)

As pointed out by Technical Support, valuable sources of support for portwarding and other LAN and networking are found online. If you're not a network administrator, you can find sources like Youtube excellent - for example the following illustrates how to port forward torrents using a client - LINK

I hope this may help. Let me know if I can advise further.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Hi Ant ,thanks for the speedy reply and thank you for the apology.
    Of course I understand that when it comes to third party programs or when the Eircom technician cannot possibly be in possesion of all the settings,etc then it is unreasonable to expect them to solve all my issues.
    However I would expect an Eircom trained technician on an Eircom tech support line for Eircom Broadband support to have the capacity to answer a general question on an Eircom branded router.This surely is not too much to ask of a support line is it?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

igorbiscan wrote: »
    Hi Ant ,thanks for the speedy reply and thank you for the apology.
    Of course I understand that when it comes to third party programs or when the Eircom technician cannot possibly be in possesion of all the settings,etc then it is unreasonable to expect them to solve all my issues.
    However I would expect an Eircom trained technician on an Eircom tech support line for Eircom Broadband support to have the capacity to answer a general question on an Eircom branded router.This surely is not too much to ask of a support line is it?.

Hi igorbiscan,

taken on board what you say and I'll ensure to relay your comments; which will be useful to all of us. We forget sometimes, and again I apologise if you had a bad experience.
    Let's know how things turn out with the port forwarding. Any hints here for posters, always greatfully received..
    I hope everything goes well for you.
    All the best,
    ant

Advertisement