Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent pub grub in city centre?

Options
  • 15-07-2011 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm going out to lunch or dinner with a foreign couple (tourists) next week, and I'm looking for a place near the city centre - doesn't matter if it's northside or southside - that serves decent food and is not too expensive. They hate Temple Bar, and don't really want pizza or burgers.. so a nice pub would probably do. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

These two are both really good :)

http://www.messrsmaguire.ie/

http://www.porterhousebrewco.com/beers.html

And they are both really central in town. Mssrs Maguire is right on the Liffy and the Porterhouse restaurant is just next to Trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

le bon crubeen on talbot, nice and reasonable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

The food in Grand Central Bar on O' Connell Street is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Grand Central or the Church Bar near the Jervis centre.

The Church bar is well worth taking a few tourists to for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

I really like Doheny & Nesbitts, Baggot Street for lunch. Lovely pub, lovely staff and a decent bite to eat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

O'Neills, Suffolk Street or Sinnotts, at Stephen's Green - get yourself some carvery. Enough food to keep you going for 2.5 days for ~€11 iirc. . .bloody tasty too

If I had to choose one, I'd say Sinnotts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Bull and Castle, Dame Street

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

The Exchequer on Sth William St is a great spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

CucaFace wrote: »
    Grand Central or the Church Bar near the Jervis centre.

The Church bar is well worth taking a few tourists to for dinner.

i had dinner there a short while ago and the 3 of us agreed the food wasnt very nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The Czech Inn in Temple Bar does a decent sized portion of food, lots of meaty dishes. And the beer is great. Just not the music.

http://www.czech-inn.org/food/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

O'Neills on Suffolk Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Foley's on the corner of Merrion Row is pretty nice for lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The Oval on Abbey St. (beside Easons) is good. It's great if the sun is shining and you get seats outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

As mentioned above, Le Bon Crubeen does some of the best value food in the city.

Bull and Castle does good food as well, and has a great range of Irish beers on tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

if you're willing to take a stop or two on the luas or walk to stoney batter l mulligrans grocer best "pub grub" in Dublin I'd say

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

ntlbell wrote: »
    if you're willing to take a stop or two on the luas or walk to stoney batter l mulligrans grocer best "pub grub" in Dublin I'd say

Forgot about this, definitely one of the best in the city. Pity it's so far away from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

Excellent suggestions, thanks everyone. I think I need to do a pub lunch tour now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

What would people's recommendations be for nice big huge portions of food, American style?

Advertisement