Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer keg smoker

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Which in your opinion would be a better heat source internal or external ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

damagegt wrote: »
    Which in your opinion would be a better heat source internal or external ?

I honestly don't know enough to say.

Try this site - http://bbq.about.com/od/customsmokers/Custom_Smokers_Build_your_own_Smoker_and_Get_Exactly_what_you_want.htm

i think ill stick with an external source for now.Ill change to a grill rack with stainless hooks under it instead of stainless rods so ill have the best of both worlds.

i think ill stick with an external source for now.Ill change to a grill rack with stainless hooks under it instead of stainless rods so ill have the best of both worlds.

Let us know how you get on!

trackguy wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on!
    ill document it all and upload it as a tutorial.Hopefully ill be starting it this week ,im just awaiting a few parts to arrive in the post.Would there be anything i could paint it with ? Or would it be like a stove and id have to use enamel ?

• Advertisement

ill document it all and upload it as a tutorial.Hopefully ill be starting it this week ,im just awaiting a few parts to arrive in the post.Would there be anything i could paint it with ? Or would it be like a stove and id have to use enamel ?

I'd say go with the enamel. The manufacturer I bought from recently began coating their smokers in porcelain to improve the finish and heat retention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

If you come accross good site for hinges and grates etc will you post the links. Gonna try this myself with a steel barrel.:D

Guill wrote: »
    If you come accross good site for hinges and grates etc will you post the links. Gonna try this myself with a steel barrel.:D
    I havent come across hindges as i dont think ill be using them,I have found many grates.What size and shape were you thinking about? Iv found them from 4" to 25".Ill be using a 14 1/2" with four 5" stainless steel meat hooks hanging under.Which will give me 2" clearence from the grate to the wall of the keg.

Inspired by this thread, i made an attempt at a smoker, haven't used it yet (tomorrow).

I used:
    2 x Barrels - free
    50 pop rivets - 3 cent each.
    3 latches - 2 euro each
    6 hinges - 1.50 a pair
    2 oven racks - free
    1 oven tray - free
    Pop rivet gun - 9 euro.
    grinder - 20 euro

total cost = 41.00, 12.00 if you don't need to buy tools.

Im waiting on my bottle green enamel paint and my chimney cap to arrive and ill be all done.I cant wait.Whats going to be your first meat to smoke ?

• Advertisement

Might try and get a whole fish tomorrow, that or else a chicken.

Smoked a whole chicken, it was savage!

Advertisement