Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seaweed Based Fertiliser

• 15-07-2011 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭

Anyone any experience of seaweed based fertilisers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

"God made the world and seaweed made that field"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yep - thanx to seaweed I got a great crop of cabbages, potatoes and carrots on degraded blanket bog over the last few years on my patch in North Mayo:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

No, but I've seen seaweed put out on land here the odd time, seems to do good. I would do it myself except the ould fella would not be impressed with the done up 135 on the beach :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Grecco wrote: »
    "God made the world and seaweed made that field"

"Our father's, father's, father's, father's, father looked after that field boy,
    and your son's, son's, son's, son's, son, will do likewise". :D

Classic stuff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

They use to use it around here all the time in Rush Co Dublin for the sandy fields for early spuds. Only ever see one farmer still use it since the sandy fields now have sprouted houses. Collecting it after a storm was the practice, spreading the Wore(sp?) was the term. Remember my grandfather telling me about times when there use to be fights on beaches between neighbouring towns over seaweed. Also 3 fellows drowned off Skerries when they got caught in the tides coming back from one of the islands after collecting seaweed in the 40s. Has the makings of a JB Keane play!

I know you can get a seaweed based foliar feed that works well on potatoes. Can't think of its name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Tora Bora wrote: »
    "Our father's, father's, father's, father's, father looked after that field boy,
    and your son's, son's, son's, son's, son, will do likewise". :D

Classic stuff!!

Well spotted lad,
    I couldn't resist!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

These people supply seaweed products:

https://fruithillfarm.com/c-7-feed-your-plants.aspx

There may be a problem in that the salt should be removed by washing collected seaweed before spreading.

However: see (5) below

GALWAY COUNTY COUNCIL
    DRAFT BYE-LAWS FOR BEACHES,
    The Council of the County of Galway in pursuance of the powers conferred on it under Part 19 of the Local Government Act 2001, the Local Government Act 2001 (Bye-Laws) Regulations 2006, the Maritime Safety Act 2005, the Control of Dogs Act 1986, as amended, the Control of Horses Act 1996, Local Government (Sanitary Services) Acts 1878-1964 and in the interests of the common good and public safety and to prevent nuisance or injury to persons or damage to watercraft or other property or to protect a natural heritage area and flora and fauna, hereby makes the following Bye-Laws for the beaches, foreshores, piers, harbours and inland waterways referred to in these Bye-Laws and schedule thereto.
    III. Prohibited Acts
    No person shall do or cause any of the following acts on the beach namely:-
    Damage
    1. light an open fire (other than in a contained unit, such as a barbecue) or do
    anything which may cause damage by fire
    2. damage any grass, sand dunes, plants, shrubs, wall, railing or fence on or along
    the beach
    3. paint, write, cut or carve or in any manner inscribe letters, figures or marks upon
    any rock, wall or structure
    4. deposit on the beach any nets, bait, lines, boxes, fishing gear, fish, soil, stones or
    any item of litter as defined in the Litter Pollution Act, 1997 as amended
    5. remove any sand, stones, seaweed or soil from the beach, except in accordance
    with legislation and the consent of the Council
    6. interfere with or damage any life buoy, lifesaving equipment, rope, marker, hut,
    cabin, litter receptacle, sign, flagpole, flag or information board, or any other
    thing placed on the beach by Galway County Council or other Statutory Body.
    7. Bury animals on the beach
    Nuisance
    8. cause a nuisance, annoyance or danger to people on the beach by playing a game
    in such a manner as to cause nuisance, annoyance or danger
    9. play loud or amplified radio, music or musical instruments in a manner as to
    cause a nuisance
    10. cause a nuisance or do any act likely to cause a nuisance on the beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

ceannfort wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of seaweed based fertilisers?

There is a company in Monaghan/Cavan Nutrilog or Nutri something that sell dried chicken manure pellets that contain 25% seaweed. it comes in white buckets, popular with gardeners

Oldtree wrote: »
    5. remove any sand, stones, seaweed or soil from the beach, except in accordance
    with legislation and the consent of the Council

Thanks Oldtree, I emailed G CC about that last year, earlier this year? And never received a reply, good to know my taxes are being well spent :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

johngalway wrote: »
    Thanks Oldtree, I emailed G CC about that last year, earlier this year? And never received a reply, good to know my taxes are being well spent :rolleyes:

Next time you write to the council put the wind behind your sails and state that if you dont receive a reply to your question within a certain time frame that you will consider this as they giving you consent to go seaweed hunting.

Commercial seaweed fertiliser both as micro-ferts and foliar feeds are a waste of time, money and mostly all hope. being there and got the t-shirt which I was expecting to get from the beginning

• Advertisement

Not bad thinking there Bob, might light a fire under them alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I grow stuff in pots in a poly tunnel, so a hobby level really. I put chicken manure in the pots to start with and then use an organic liquid feed as necessary. I have always added a liquid seaweed to the liquid manure as in my mind it is like giving the plants a vitamin, as seaweed has lots of trace elements. Potatoes seemed to like a drop of this mix too, but I have not tried foliar feeding.

Re galway CC

Don't think that the licences allow removal of seaweed at all, licences are for events, etc.

Advertisement