Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Moderator, C.V?

Options
  • 15-07-2011 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi this may be sound bit silly, but just out of curiosity is being a Boards.ie moderator something you would put on your c.v?
    I have no desire to ever become a mod or anything, its just something meself and a friend were discussing and have a bit of a bet on it
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Not unless you are applying for a job as a moderator somewhere else, and I'm not aware of any moderator jobs you have to submit a cv for, much less paid ones. Putting something on your cv that would make employers think you are going to spend half the day on the internet (however true) is a bad idea. I certainly wouldn't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Ah right, cheers! Looks like i owe someone a pint :P

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Hold off on buying that pint!

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere here a moderator mentioned modding forums on their CV. Got them a job and all. Can't remember who though. Sorry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

5starpool wrote: »
    Not unless you are applying for a job as a moderator somewhere else, and I'm not aware of any moderator jobs you have to submit a cv for, much less paid ones. Putting something on your cv that would make employers think you are going to spend half the day on the internet (however true) is a bad idea. I certainly wouldn't do it.
    I've seen paid moderator positions but they are either limited (i.e. 1 or 2h a day) or part of another "larger" role such as community manager.

Outside such a direct connection I'd not be adding it; same reason you'd not add WoW raid leader or top 10 winner of SC2 league X, Y or Z :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I would if I were going for a community related job......or of course if applying for a boards related position. Less relevant for other jobs. So you're both right...

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

I suppose we'll just have a pint each and think of another bet :)

I'd have thought being a moderator would have a positive impact on your c.v, if even just in the hobbies/interests/achievements section. Because being a moderator really is a selfless job, shows how you work for the benefit of the company (or in this case website) and not for yourself etc. Shows you have a passion for something (i.e if you were mod of the gardening forum or something like that).

However im sure if you were applying for a job in i.t, or indeed any job that required you to use a computer, employers would be wary :P

Twould be no good for me though, i dont think being a boards moderator would have any positive impact in my job as a farm labourer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Well I suppose it would show you can follow rules and guidelines or something like that.

Although it would open up to what forum, what username, and then finding that picture of a lolcat you liked in the YLYL thread and all of a sudden they don't take you seriously anymore.

"So why did you accept the moderator position? Responsibility and experience in this field was it?"
    "I did it for the custom avatar."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

kkdela6 wrote: »
    I suppose we'll just have a pint each and think of another bet :)

I'd have thought being a moderator would have a positive impact on your c.v, if even just in the hobbies/interests/achievements section. Because being a moderator really is a selfless job, shows how you work for the benefit of the company (or in this case website) and not for yourself etc. Shows you have a passion for something (i.e if you were mod of the gardening forum or something like that).

It also shows you dick around on the internet a lot....

And then there's the problem of your potential employer reading some of your posts :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Nody wrote: »
    I've seen paid moderator positions but they are either limited (i.e. 1 or 2h a day) or part of another "larger" role such as community manager.

Outside such a direct connection I'd not be adding it; same reason you'd not add WoW raid leader or top 10 winner of SC2 league X, Y or Z :)

I got a CV once where someone listed Playstation under Computer Skills. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Larianne wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere here a moderator mentioned modding forums on their CV. Got them a job and all. Can't remember who though. Sorry.

Gordon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Larianne wrote: »

Didn't do Dav any harm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Not only would I not put it on my CV (since I'm sure most of my posts are sent during work hours...) but I don't think it says a lot - good, or bad - about an individual. Being a mod basically says that you may spend a little more than average time online, and that you are possibly not a nutter. So exactly the same as most boards.ie users. Hardly CV material, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Being a former moderator here came in very handy in and old job where the company i was working for was trying to better use assorted social media.

I ended up in charge of the research behind how best to utilize assorted internet services and the like.

It wasn't on my CV though, it just came up in conversation at the original launch of the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hell no, I keep my professional and private life apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

"So you moderate a Politics forum eh? Well I guess that explains the schizophrenia."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Yes.

Just make sure and point out that 1000s of the hours required by the job were clocked in during office hours.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

well, if you were going to volunteer for this position, i think it would be important to include it on your CV

http://www.activelink.ie/node/5568

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

irishbird wrote: »
    well, if you were going to volunteer for this position, i think it would be important to include it on your CV

http://www.activelink.ie/node/5568

Perfect example :)

Don't forget folks, many regular companies/corporations are jumping on social media - even as an internal communication tool* - so it's turning out that actually, modding boards DOES give you something to put on the CV (and get a good job from) if the job is right.

*your company isn't? Why haven't you suggested it yet? Position yourself by creating the position.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Gordon wrote: »
    *your company isn't? Why haven't you suggested it yet? Position yourself by creating the position.

i suggested that to my company, there is a lot of negative press and misinfomration about us out there and the government department we work for.

we could clear so many problems up in a matter of seconds, i have suggested becomeing a offical represntative on boards and other relavent sites but they are afraid of the internet :mad:

it would make all our lives so much easier

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

nesf wrote: »
    "So you moderate a Politics forum eh? Well I guess that explains the schizophrenia."

Interviewing yourself again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭rocksteady36

From my experience of some mods here I would not hire a mod of any forum lol

The person who asked the question is making a fool out of mods here...

'he/she has no intention of being a mod' the thread starter is just highlighting the fact that mods spend way too much time on this, and it gets them absoultely no where, just satisfying some feeling of authority they cant get in the real world!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

'he/she has no intention of being a mod' the thread starter is just highlighting the fact that mods spend way too much time on this, and it gets them absoultely no where, just satisfying some feeling of authority they cant get in the real world!!!

And this little piece of trolling would have nothing to do with that ban you got a few days ago? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Given the number of boards users, the amount of people banned and the inherent dickishness of bosses I think mentioning being a mod on boards would be for the most part a bad move given the boss has probably been banned here for being a dick before. :P

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There's a proscribed process for dealing with issues arising from infractions or bans. Digging up an old thread and whining about mods is not part of that process.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement