Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gear Shifters on the down tube

• 15-07-2011 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

My road bike was stolen, it had entry level sti shifters (SORA)

I need a bike, something cheap, something which wouldnt be of great value as it might be stolen again.

I was looking at a bike on ebay with shifters on the down tube, its a Trek 1200 from maybe 15 years ago in good mechanical order, it would serve its purpose as a fitness bike and a commuter.

The one thing I hate is the downtube shifters, I never used downtube shifters before......are they something to avoid ?

I'd imagine that people with downtube shifters dont change gear as often as people with sti shifters. Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260816992594&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&autorefresh=true

Actually I just won the auction, is it a pile of sh-ite ?

It was cheap, thats for sure, I need a seatpost, can someone send me a link to a seatpost which will work with this bike !

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

MungoMan wrote: »
    My road bike was stolen, it had entry level sti shifters (SORA)

I need a bike, something cheap, something which wouldnt be of great value as it might be stolen again.

I was looking at a bike on ebay with shifters on the down tube, its a Trek 1200 from maybe 15 years ago in good mechanical order, it would serve its purpose as a fitness bike and a commuter.

The one thing I hate is the downtube shifters, I never used downtube shifters before......are they something to avoid ?

I'd imagine that people with downtube shifters dont change gear as often as people with sti shifters. Any thoughts ?

Although the retro-bike loving part of me loves the down-tube shifters, for commuting I don't hink I could handle using them. I find that in the city I change gears to often and quickly that moving my hand off the bars would not be practical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

justo wrote: »
    Although the retro-bike loving part of me loves the down-tube shifters, for commuting I don't hink I could handle using them. I find that in the city I change gears to often and quickly that moving my hand off the bars would not be practical.

Didn't Stephen Roche win the Tour de France in 1987 on a bike with downtube shifters ? Or am I wrong ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Im a fan of down tube shifters too but for around the city they can be a pain as stated above, you could always convert it to a flat bar with some cheap levers and shifters though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I've just come from a bike with the down tube shifters. Bit of a pain in the arse to go back to it having had a taste of the brake shifters. You're right on the frequency of gear change, but that doesn't make a huge difference IMO. You just have a more steady cadence with the better shifters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Ive been using non-indexed DT shifters on my bike up in dublin the last few months and have no problems with them anymore and dont mind them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

They're still for sale new (it was surprising to me anyway!), Dawes do one with downtube shifters
    http://www.dawescycles.com/p-439-giro-200.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Buy a set of second hand sora shifters and convert it. Id say 70 euro all in all should do it. You just need cable stops (10e) new cables (5e) and sti shifters. Do you know what speed it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I moved my downtube shifters on my old bike up to the stem. Much more accessible...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Moreofthatjazz

down tube shifters are still popular with them's that likes to tour, either those or bar end shifters for simplicity and ease of replacement... don't think i would go back to them myself though i do have a pub-bike with them on and always carry a non-indexed on the touring rig in case of a crash fecking up the ergo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Given the choice I'd go with integrated levers because of their convenience to use, however downtube shifters are fine. The biggest disadvantage of downtube shifters is that taking a hand off the bars to change gear isn't always desirable/possible to do in certain road conditions (slippery, bumpy, etc.), but otherwise I always found them fine. Changing back and forth between bikes that have the two types of gears though is a right pain because you can find your hands looking for the levers in the wrong place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

i have just changed over from downtube shifters to sti's on my old steel bike and have found its easier to be in the right gear at the right time especially in traffic or when you are having to brake suddenly but still find myself reaching down to change gear given the choice i would have sti's simply for the safety feeling they give for changing gear unexpedently with both hands on the bars. if you want to lose the d.t. shifters have some patience and look on ebay ,adverts.ie and the cycling adds here and you can pick up a bargain ,my set(cassette shifters front and rear mech was only €150) so keep the d.t. shifters till you get sti,s and enjoy the bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Commiserations on your loss, OP :mad: – I had a bike stolen a couple of years ago (one of many over the years), but in my case it was an old one (17 years) with DT shifters and I ended up replacing it with a “modern” machine with 105 STIs. I was looking forward to using new type, but wasn’t completely bowled over by their advantages over the DT setup:
    (1) Although my old bike had a hodgepodge of probably lowish-quality components with indexing problems, shifting actually felt smoother to me in a way.
    (2) I could shift past any number of gears both up and down in one movement from the DT, whereas with the STIs I can only click up one at a time, and while it allows 2 and 3-shifts doing down, I have less feel for what I’m doing .
    (3) With the DT mount, I could manipulate both shifters with the same hand, which was handy on the odd occasions that I was carrying a small bag or something against the handlebar in one of my hands, so only had one hand free.

Advertisement