Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

copyright theft?

• 15-07-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Just looking for some advice here. i stumbled across a website today and spotted a photo i took twice on the same website. i never gave them any permission whatsoever to use it and my name isnt credited. its a sports centre in athlone which seems to be run by the local council. any advice on what i should do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

contact them and tell them you want to be paid for the use of your photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Site designed by Athlone eCom which is also a council entity, so they really have no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 smois6

cheers how much should i expect? and if they dont cooperate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If they don't cooperate speak to your solicitor, it's your property and they are using without permission. You own the rights to the pictures and unless they ask for permission to use them they are breaching copyright laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

send them an email and keep all correspondance via email or letter (people forget phone conversations...very conveniently when matters come to court)

chances are you will be put in contact with a manager who will tell you they will investigate, which may or may not be a brush off....make sure you take screen shots of the website and images (and send them with your complaint email)
    MOST IMPORTANT
    - are you 100% that you are the only person to photograph this (person/place/thing) and 100% that the image used is your image

if they do not return any verdict on how it happened or are not willing to pay you for usage of the image - contact a solicitor and get the solicitor to issue a letter asking for X amount and legal costs, failure to pay within X days will result in increased legal costs and a requirement for compensation due to the stress involved....and payment for usage of the image.

Ask yourself - what do you want ....
    do you want them to take it down ?
    do you want them to acknowledge you as the photographer ?
    do you want them to give you money ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 smois6

thanks again. have taken a few screen grabs already and just fired off an email to a person who works for the company who designed the website and is involved in photography in the area apparently. im 100% the picture is mine triple checked against the original. at the end of the day im looking for a few bob. il only be getting solicitors involved as a last resort. will send an email to the local council/centre tonight or tomorro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if its only money you are after - forget contacting them , goto the solicitor and tell the solicitor you want him/her to send a letter on your behalf.

give him/her screenshots of the webpage and a copy of the original image(a 6x4 print) - he/she should send a letter outlining the breach and demand payment for X amount (including legal representation fee*) within X days - failure to pay will result in an increased demand for money and increased legal fee's.

*=legal representation fee .... solicitors letter on your behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

Misticles wrote: »
    contact them and tell them you want to be paid for the use of your photos.

Out of interest how much did it cost you in licensing fees to use the image in your signature?

Advertisement