Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charlie Gilmour (Son of Dave Gilmour, Pink Floyd) jailed for 16 months.

• 15-07-2011 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

Remember This from the student protests in London a while back ?

Well, it looks like the lucks run out for the rebel with an Aston Martin....
    The son of the Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour has been jailed for 16 months after admitting violent disorder during a student fees protest in central London last December.

Charlie Gilmour, 21, was seen hanging from a union flag on the Cenotaph and later leaped on the bonnet of a Jaguar car forming part of the royal convoy taking the prince of Wales and Camilla Duchess of Cornwall to the royal variety performance that was attacked by demonstrators. He also set fire to papers outside the supreme court in Parliament Square and was seen kicking at a window of a Top Shop branch in Oxford Street and later carrying the leg of a mannequin. Students attacking the store caused £50,000 damage.
    Full Article

I'm Delighted!! Obstreperous little prick :cool:

Maybe it will teach him to think twice before he disgraces the memory of those who died to secure the freedom he has.
    (or had, before he behaved like an asshole)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Rock 'n' roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

So?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

He looks like a right irritating dweeb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

So?

So it's nice to know you'll go to jail for public order offences (in the UK anyway) despite who daddy is ;)

marcsignal wrote: »
    So it's nice to know you'll go to jail for public order offences (in the UK anyway) despite who daddy is ;)

I can understand people discussing murders adn such here, or even public order offences in a broad sense, but specifically talking about a guy because his dad is famous? Kinda sad really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭steof1984

I'd say they will love him in Prison

No doubt his bum will be 'comfortably numb' in no time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

His fellow inmates will soon be enjoying the dark side of his moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

The worrying thing is, he may have gone to prision because of who daddy is along with the press interest.

Is the public interest served by adding to our over crowded prison population with this dweeb , would a 5 year suspended not be better ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

He got what he deserved as it should be for anybody who behaves as he did .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

16 months seems a bit OTT for such shoddy offences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Apparently, he never learned to Run Like Hell .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

He was only just ' Learning To Fly ' to .

I can understand people discussing murders adn such here, or even public order offences in a broad sense, but specifically talking about a guy because his dad is famous? Kinda sad really.

This smelly little dogs pissle is also a disgrace to Pink Floyd, imo. I'm sure Dave Gilmour (A man I respect) is mortified at the specifics of his sons delinquency, in this instance.

I am glad he got sent down, because he had a naive assumption that he was above the law, because of who he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

He'll presumably be writing to his da saying Wish You Were Here.

This smelly little dogs pissle is also a disgrace to Pink Floyd, imo. I'm sure Dave Gilmour (A man I respect) is mortified at the specifics of his sons delinquency, in this instance.

I am glad he got sent down, because he had a naive assumption that he was above the law, because of who he was.

Are you just speculating now, or do you know for a fact he thought he was above the law, seems like a bit of the green monster is showing from behind your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Isnt that a naive assumption?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Spunge wrote: »
    16 months seems a bit OTT for such shoddy offences

I would hardly call hanging from a cenotaph a shoddy offence.

I think it is a deserved sentence. The problem is, most people don't get the sentence they deserve so now this Gilmour has actually been handed what was coming to him, people are more surprised than they would have been had he walked away with a £50 fine. Look at what he did, he went on a rampage of violence, destruction and intimidation. He's clearly a mindless, moronic thug regardless of schooling and background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

All joking aside the guy looks like he'll survive about 5 seconds in prison before he's on his knees wearing lipstick and tasting 31 flavours.

Bad move Charlie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

"We'll eat fire and ice and destruction because we're angry, very ****ing angry. We refuse to do anything we're told. They broke the moral law. We're going to break all the laws. Arson!"

hahaha mad b@stard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

he went on a rampage of violence, destruction and intimidation.

Oh, come on. That is just blowing it out of proportion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

This smelly little dogs pissle is also a disgrace to Pink Floyd,

thats a bit OTT there lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

16 months?

Plenty of time to count all the Bricks in The Wall...

...I'll get me coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'm Delighted!! Obstreperous little prick cool.gif

You know him personally?:rolleyes:

The teacher shouldn't have left this kid alone in school, he should have caned him !

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

They behaved like Animals in fairness

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

He sounds like a bit of a twat alright but this is mad. 16 months? He climbed a statue (an incredibly important one for sure but still a statue) and did nothing major beyond that, certainly nothing that thousands of others werent doing to an equal or worse degree. I'd like to know why he was singled out specifically. For example they throw out the figure of 50,000 quids worth of damage to a shop done by a group as evidence against him.

If he had been the lad who threw the fire extinguisher off the roof i'd be saying good fcuking riddances but in reality hes done feck all. Complete waste of prison space and tax payer money.

It seems like hes been prosecuted as a proxy for all the other anonymous rioters merely because hes quasi famous.

In saying all that i dont mean he shouldnt be punished i just thing 16 months is a crazy sentence.

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    Isnt that a naive assumption?
    Are you just speculating now, or do you know for a fact he thought he was above the law

Nope, I've been following the case in the papers, just out of interest. There is evidence to suggest he didn't seem unduly worried about his case.
    If I can find a web link to back that up, I will post it.
    seems like a bit of the green monster is showing from behind your back.

If you're looking for an actual assumption ? There's one right there ;)

Some interesting reactions among the Gilmours in the clip below, that may go some way to backing up what I said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

In saying all that i dont mean he shouldnt be punished i just thing 16 months is a crazy sentence.

I agree, but imagine if it was this country it would be 16 months suspended sentence - the other end of the scale :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

he'l end up with a "hammer smashed face" wha???

....oops wrong band...

• Advertisement

Nope, I've been following the case in the papers, just out of interest. There is evidence to suggest he didn't seem unduly worried about his case.
    If I can find a web link to back that up, I will post it.

If you're looking for an actual assumption ? There's one right there ;)

Some interesting reactions among the Gilmours in the clip below, that may go some way to backing up what I said.

Still dont see where they assumed he`d get off lightly.. i did however hear the reporter say that the judge said that as he was well educated he has no excuses... so does that mean someone badly educated now has an excuse to swing from a war memorial in London??

Still dont see where they assumed he`d get off lightly.. i did however hear the reporter say that the judge said that as he was well educated he has no excuses... so does that mean someone badly educated now has an excuse to swing from a war memorial in London??

didn't the reporter say that after the sentence was read out Dave Gilmour put his head in his hands, and that Charlie Gilmour had a look of shock and disbelief on his face ??

good enough for me
    thats a bit OTT there lad

No, I disagree, I don't think it is, considering how world famous, successful and poignant "The Wall" is, and in that context, remaining cognisant of its anti-war theme? Only then to have Charlie swing out of a monument dedicated to the tens of thousands who died fighting for his freedom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

So, Harry Potter is off to jail I see.

didn't the reporter say that after the sentence was read out Dave Gilmour put his head in his hands, and that Charlie Gilmour had a look of shock and disbelief on his face ??

Wouldnt you be shocked if you / your son had just been handed 16 months in the clink.. regardless of whether you were expecting it or not??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

You would have to put 6 million people into extermination camps and invade most of Europe to get 16 months in prison here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Swinging off something and jumping on a car would normally get you a suspended sentence on a first offence, maybe a fine.

When you **** with Englands dead soldiers and the Royals though...you know you are gonna get boned.

• Advertisement

Wouldnt you be shocked if you / your son had just been handed 16 months in the clink.. regardless of whether you were expecting it or not??

I suppose I would, but have never been in that situation, so can't say. There was however, some speculation in the English papers since his arrest, that Dave Gilmour was going to donate £X to the British Legion, by way of an apology, and write a rock opera, relating to how wrong the actions of his son were, with regard to what he did at the Cenotaph.

That considered, I do think this will be appealed pretty soon tho, Charlie released, and a hefty donation paid by Dave Gilmour. I don't have a real problem if that happens, provided Charlie has learnt his lesson.

It remains to be seen what will come out in the wash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

16 months is fairly OTT. Why protest over fees? You aren't forced to go to college. Don't like the fees? - don't pay. Fcuk the colleges and their slave fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Amber Lamps

fairly heavy sentence for what he did.

id say the background to it is, him listening to his father growing up going on about how "that fcuker gonzo waters" ruined the band by his over indulgence in his fathers death in ww2. a young charlie sees the cenotaph and thinks FFFFFFUUUUUUU WATERS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

I think the fact that he had, as said in the video, "a look of shock on his face" makes the point. Like he wasn't expecting it? ERGO He thought he'd get his wrist slapped.

Advertisement