Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Endomondo

• 15-07-2011 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone using this cool phone gps app for tracking sports activities?
    Seems like a cool way to look up people that are cycling routes near you.
    Might be a good way to meet up with fellow cyclists.

Here's my profile
    http://www.endomondo.com/profile/1939759

Feel free to add me :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Yeah I use that, find it very good. Just friended you, but I dont live near unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I used it for a year a while back. Worked very reliably on my windows mobile 6.5 phone.

I liked how it showed what I did on google maps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Works great on my cheap android phone. Why did you stop using it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

doesnt seem to work from my garmin500 :confused::p:p

How come? I know there are plugins to import data from other devices like the garmin but I have never tried it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'm using it on my WP7, but it seems to stop tracking if I get a text/call, and it seems to be fairly battery intensive, so I'm not using it much.

doesnt seem to work from my garmin500 :confused::p:p
    tuxy wrote: »
    How come? I know there are plugins to import data from other devices like the garmin but I have never tried it.

I think ednwireland is just showing off that he doesn't need endomondo because of his garmin 500. :o

DrZeuss wrote: »
    I think ednwireland is just showing off that he doesn't need endomondo because of his garmin 500. :o

sorry its friday night

-Chris- wrote: »
    I'm using it on my WP7, but it seems to stop tracking if I get a text/call, and it seems to be fairly battery intensive, so I'm not using it much.

It has been stable on my android so far any app that uses gps will be battery intensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

So what do people use to keep phone/tracking software working on long (+120km) cycles? I did the ring of Kerry and the Sean Kelly charity cycles in 2010 and found my phone died after 130 Kms. I bought a powermonkey, but it doesn't seem to charge while the tracking software is on, or else it can't keep up, not sure. Any ideas? Anyone using solar power to keep their trackers working for the whole 190kms +?

• Advertisement

Lawr wrote: »
    So what do people use to keep phone/tracking software working on long (+120km) cycles? I did the ring of Kerry and the Sean Kelly charity cycles in 2010 and found my phone died after 130 Kms. I bought a powermonkey, but it doesn't seem to charge while the tracking software is on, or else it can't keep up, not sure. Any ideas? Anyone using solar power to keep their trackers working for the whole 190kms +?

thats why i have a garmin edge 500 7 hours in the saddle and less than half the battery used

actually my nokia e66 never had a problem lasting several hours either, wouldnt even bother trying to use a smartphone,v clever but sh1t battery life

Thanks, for that. I'm asking if someone has a way of extending the battery life, and you're telling me don't use a phone, use a Garmin, which is good for only one thing. Thanks, but I'll always go for the Swiss Army knife if I have a choice. My phone is a phone, a computer that goes online, a modem that I can plug into my pc or a laptop, a gps tracking device and uses bluetooth technology to talk to a heart rate monitor. (Velocomputer puts out some bluetooth software that works with a speed and cadence sensor and a heartrate monitor. That technology will eventually replace Ant+). And I pay a little less than 25 Euro a month for all of that. I'm sure many of us would see this as a more affordable option.

Well what I do on an android phone to conserve battery life is
    - disable 3g,wifi and bluetooth(so only the necessary gps is enabled)
    - use task killer to kill all unnecessary apps
    - set the screen to dim

The pro version which costs €2.86 claims to have a low power mode so that might help also.

I have the free version and have not used it for longer than 2 hours and still had 75% battery life left after that so not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

tuxy wrote: »
    Works great on my cheap android phone. Why did you stop using it?

I used to connect the phone to the web using wifi but I stopped having regular access to wifi. Pretty old phone so wasn't really pushed to try other ways.

I hadn't thought about how I might close down everything other than the gps and the heart rate monitor. I also use a level to detect cadence. I'll see what else might be running that I do not necessarily need. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Extended battery?

Mugen Power Extended Battery for HTC Desire A8181 with battery cover in Brown 3200mAh [HLI-DesireXL]
    http://www.mugen-power-batteries.com/htc/htc-desire/mugen-power-extended-battery-for-htc-desire-a8181-with-battery-cover-in-brown-3200mah.html#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I have started sticking my Android into Airplane mode before setting off on a long cycle. Being out for over 7 hours for the ROK used about 2/3 of my battery.

good tip. I'll look for that one that's so big that you need to replace the back of the phone. Chroist. Tim the toolman size. Run a chainsaw. Thanks.

I have started sticking my Android into Airplane mode before setting off on a long cycle. Being out for over 7 hours for the ROK used about 2/3 of my battery.

Good call on Airplane mode, I never tried it thinking it would disable GPS. Will try it out on next spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 154876

Does any1 know of a good heart rate monitor with bluetooth that will work with endomondo on my i-phone

• Advertisement
Advertisement