Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 month working visa boston help

Options
  • 15-07-2011 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

so im planning on going to boston for the year

i have a degree in marketing and hoping to get a job as a marketing assistant are something similar

just woundering does any1 no any good sites to look for jobs ???

i have 2 friends over there already so accommodation is sorting

also , is there anyone over in boston at the moment , woundering if ye found it hard to get a job over there

regards,
    Ian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Corrimbla

Heya,

I’m currently in Boston on the 12 month IWT visa since April. I also know about 6 other lads here in Boston on the same visa that came over roughly the same time. The majority of them were finance graduates and all those all got jobs in banks no problem – there is a good Irish connection here in Boston for any finance graduates who are looking for jobs!!

I got a good job in Real Estate – I seen it on craigslist and just applied and got it. As regarding marketing I know of a girl who recently came to Boston who done marketing and hasn’t any luck yet getting a job in that field. She has got another degree related job for the meantime but she is still looking for a marketing job!

There are tons of jobs here but it’s a matter of finding a good one and a company that will take you knowing that your visa is only for 1 year! Hope this helps!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 flynndawg

Corrimbla wrote: »
    Heya,

I’m currently in Boston on the 12 month IWT visa since April. I also know about 6 other lads here in Boston on the same visa that came over roughly the same time. The majority of them were finance graduates and all those all got jobs in banks no problem – there is a good Irish connection here in Boston for any finance graduates who are looking for jobs!!

I got a good job in Real Estate – I seen it on craigslist and just applied and got it. As regarding marketing I know of a girl who recently came to Boston who done marketing and hasn’t any luck yet getting a job in that field. She has got another degree related job for the meantime but she is still looking for a marketing job!

There are tons of jobs here but it’s a matter of finding a good one and a company that will take you knowing that your visa is only for 1 year! Hope this helps!!

cheers that helped alot

im been on aload of sites like indeed , carrierbuilder and jobsearch

seems to be alot of jobs available , but i wont be over till the first week of september so dont no if i should be senting c.vs yet ?, might wait till 2 r 3 weeks before i go over

did u organise a job before u went over??

got a few friends living in allston , but they 2 of them got jobs as chefs and the others got sponsored , so they cant really help me out

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Corrimbla

Craigslist and Monster seem to be the best place to look for jobs out here. No, I didn't have a job before coming over I seen mine advertised on Craigslist. American companies are terrible at replying to emails (they dont even send out courtesy emails when you apply for a job and if you dont get a job they wont even let you know you were unsuccessful!)..My advise would be to wait until your here but on the otherhand it cant do any harm if you wish to do it..I think the best way of explaining it is if you ran a company in Ireland and got applications from somebody who dosent have a visa/social security number and isnt even in the country - would you take it too seriously? espically with unemployment been high here also they get so many applications from people already here.

Advertisement