Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade hard drive.

Options
  • 15-07-2011 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Was thinking to upgrade my 5 year old 320gb hard drive (from a Dell PC). Now I was thinking of going down the 1TB route or 2x500GB in Raid 0, but have no idea which hdd(s) to buy. Seagate, WD, Samsung ? Could you recommend some ? Preferably off elara or dabs.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Do you know if it's IDE/PATA or SATA?
    Do you know that your Dell supports RAID or do you have RAID card or do you plan to use software RAID?
    Budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If it's a SATA connection you've got, Samsung Spinpoint, no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭RobertM

Monotype wrote: »
    Do you know if it's IDE/PATA or SATA?
    Do you know that your Dell supports RAID or do you have RAID card or do you plan to use software RAID?
    Budget?

Yes, it is a SATA, and only the hdd is off a dell, the rest of it is new. The mobo supports SataIII as well.
    Serephucus wrote: »
    If it's a SATA connection you've got, Samsung Spinpoint, no question.

Had a friend who bought 2 of these brand new, and they failed after 6 months..

RobertM wrote:
    Had a friend who bought 2 of these brand new, and they failed after 6 months..

I've had a total of seven Spinpoints, all still running. The oldest has been running six years so far. Luck of the draw.

• Advertisement

Yup, I have two. Great drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭RobertM

Cool. It seems I will be ordering one of these then. Abolishing the RAID idea.

Advertisement