Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacy Students!

Options
  • 15-07-2011 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Well, Im just posting to see if there any students studying in TCD or RCSI. How are ye finding it?

Im in UCC going into 3rd year btw!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Hey,

I'll be going in to 2nd year in RCSI next year! I know there's at least one other RCSI student on this forum in 3rd or 4th year but they probably missed this thread.
    Anyway, I really enjoyed first year, some of it was very "introductory", while some of the other modules were quite tough. There's a lot of information to take in anyway, I did a year of a science degree beforehand and found the year in Pharmacy tougher definitely! (& more enjoyable!)
    I found there was very little maths (which I liked); we did anatomy in the first semester (i.e. had to go in to the anatomy room 3-4 times and view the cadavers, no dissecting thankfully!) which was quite.....interesting!
    Looking forward to next year anyway, any specific Q's feel free to ask, can only comment on first year though!
    How's UCC? Finding the course tough?
    Also, I was wondering if you have the 50% pass mark in your exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Tbh, 1st year was a write off for me big time. I had pharmacy down on the CAO 123 for UCC,TCD AND RCSI and was delighted when I got the 580 points for UCC. I found 1st year really tough; the chemistry was a huge step up from leaving cert and I felt you never got the help like you would have got in secondary school. Got a 2.1 in that in the end of the year but ended up failing the pharmacy practice dispensing exam. Getting your hand cut by a pipette that snapped when making up a calpol bottle (paracetamol elixir) with blood everywhere and writing a wrong label with an overdose on the Rx was a disaster! Passed it in the repeats though. Do ye have those dispensing exams? Its a 70% pass rate for them so you have to be on your A game.

Ha anatomy in 1st year was more like histology and we had online assignments which were worth 30% of the final grade that you had to do each week. 10 MCQ type questions on Blackboard ( same as ye have moodle up there ).

I really enjoyed this year more so though. I think it really took the year to get used to the whole college life etc. and realising that you have to do the work yourself and can't rely on anyone to help you through it. Passed everything, including pharmacy practice haha! got the 2.1 overall so Im now into 3rd year.

Oh yah all the exams are a 50% pass rate :P

Im on the pharmacy society next year as sponsorship officer and an idea we have is to have a get together with ye and the TCD crowd in the first few months when we come back in september. Obviously we would travel up ( the UCC gang ) to Dublin and have a night out with ye; go clubbing and the likes. Are you involved with it or know anyone who is?

Advertisement