Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awning to fiberglass roof extension???

• 15-07-2011 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi guys. And galls of course..
    Just wondering if any of you have ever attached a wind out awning to the fiberglass roof extension on a renault master??
    I had it on my old pug boxer that i decided to scrap due to rust and want to fit it to the master but the top section of the roof is only fiberglass and i was wondering if this would be strong enough to support the awning and if the vibrations of driving irish roads might cause isssues with it that i wouldnt have had with a steel roof..

Suggestions and ideas all welcome.. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

No, you couldn't do that, it'll erm..... fall off in a week. Sell it to me instead :D:D:D

Ah no, in fairness, if you have some plates in behind it on the inside of the GRP to disperse the weight of it, I'd say it'll be ok. Then again, how heavy is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

Its heavy enough.. About 30 kilos at a guess.. I can pick it up and carry it about easily enough and im no body builder.. Its a 12 x 12 wind out fisma, it has leg supports for when its wound out but id be more worried about the vibrations when driving..
    The grp roof has supports inside that look like what you would have in a steel roof but are made from grp too..
    They are box section of 2inches by .75 inches approx.. If i were to tie in to those would it be secured well enough..??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Can you post a pic of what you're looking to tie into?

Do you know what the box sections are made out of?

They look the same as the steel supports you would have in a regular van but they are made from fiberglass.. ill ty get a pic up later..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Ifyou put sometging like skirting board along the back where the brackets come throught , that'll help spread the load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

The risk of wind damage is more likely than vibration damage while driving. I'd recomend plating to spread the load as already advised, plus strapping down to the nearest steel. I install shopfront canopies, do not underestimate the lifting force of a gust of wind.

The awning has springs built in so its not rigid to the van when wound out and can do its own thing as such.. .. i generally weight it down anyway when im usung it with the spare wheel on one leg and a jerry can or the genny on the other..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Something rigid inside where the mounting points are (skirting board, plywood, steel plate) should do the trick. Not a bad idea when mounting to a normal MH wall too. I have seen an awning pull through a wall recently at the mounting point.

Right i bit the bullet sat..

I fount a strip of double thickness grp in the roof so decided to drill thru this and fit a lenght of about 5 inches od 50mm x 3mm flat steel at the back, seems to be dead solid now its up.. the one issue stikll remaining is that the roof isnt exactly vertical so its a bit of a stretch to reach the legs of the awning when its wound out as im a bit vertically challenged.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

hrcbob wrote: »
    Right i bit the bullet sat..

I fount a strip of double thickness grp in the roof so decided to drill thru this and fit a lenght of about 5 inches od 50mm x 3mm flat steel at the back, seems to be dead solid now its up.. the one issue stikll remaining is that the roof isnt exactly vertical so its a bit of a stretch to reach the legs of the awning when its wound out as im a bit vertically challenged.. :rolleyes:

Even when its wound out half way/fully you cant reach it? Mine is around nine feet off the ground when its wound in but around six feet off the ground when out half way.

• Advertisement

ah i can but its a stretch when its out half way.. i was thinkin it would prob be a good idea to put the legs down to support it when its haf way out seein as its only bolted thru the fiberglass.. i went to upload pics but they wouldnt load..

Advertisement