Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free places to bring American vistors next week.

Options
  • 15-07-2011 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Ok so I have some American vistors coming next week. They are in the late 30s and have a love of ballroom dancing. I'm looking for free places to bring them next week, Trinity and St Valentines bones are on the list. Where else should I bring them and is there any dance nights Salsa, etc I can bring them to. All sugestions welcome. Thanks
    The Freeier the better

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

No idea about where to go for Ballroom dancing but- I did work in Marshes Library many years back. It is the oldest purpose built library in Ireland and Johnathon Swift was the dean there at one stage. It is a beautiful place full of amazing books and tonnes of atmosphere. It is located on Kevin Street just alongside St.Patricks' cathedral. Plus it's free in. That's my input!Have fun touring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

The Iveagh Gardens

The Botanic Gardens

The Revenue & Tax Museum in Dublin Castle

Blackrock Market on Saturday or Sunday

Phoenix Park? I assume Áras an Uachtaran free in too while you're there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

A drive up to howth would be nice, then up past portmarnock maybe? It's a nice mix of suburban houses and windy "irish" roads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

http://www.dublineventguide.com/

scroll down and see whats going on in the city during the days they are here...

you should sign up to the guide and get an email every friday to tell you what is on in the city for the next week etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

discus wrote: »
    A drive up to howth would be nice, then up past portmarnock maybe? It's a nice mix of suburban houses and windy "irish" roads :D

howth village is lovely too op

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

Check out the list of heritage sites on http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/Dublin/
    Several of the sites listed on there are free, including the Aras, Farmleigh, the Pearse Museum and some of the medieval ones like St. Audeon's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Chester Beaty library at Dublin Castle is amazing, always a hit with visitors!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

+1 for Botanic Gardens and Chester Beatty Library

St Michan's Church on Church St where they could shake hands with a mummy.

A new exhibition started in the Science Gallery today,

The National Library (Yeats) and the National Museum (Tara Brooch, Ardagh Chalice, Bog Bodies and Vikings) on Kildare St have good exhibitions and OK cafes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

No idea about where to go for Ballroom dancing but- I did work in Marshes Library many years back. It is the oldest purpose built library in Ireland and Johnathon Swift was the dean there at one stage. It is a beautiful place full of amazing books and tonnes of atmosphere. It is located on Kevin Street just alongside St.Patricks' cathedral. Plus it's free in. That's my input!Have fun touring.

At €2.50 its not exactly expensive, but just to point out that it's not free in. Maybe it used to be but not anymore!

From their site:

Visiting the Library
    Marsh's Library is located just behind St Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin. Most Dublin tours pass right by our door, or we're only a 10 or 15 minute stroll from Grafton Street. Just ask for directions to St Patrick's Cathedral.

The library is open to the public every day except Tuesday and Sunday.

Weekdays except Tuesday: 9:30am to 1pm, 2pm to 5pm.
    Saturdays: 10am to 1pm.
    Closed Tuesdays, Sundays and bank holidays.
    Closed from Christmas Eve to New Year's Day (inclusive).

Visitors are asked to pay an entrance fee of €2.50, with €1.50 for students and senior citizens, and no charge for children.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Mr_Hat

Thanks for all the fantastic suggestions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

There's a tapas place on George's St that I've often seen people salsa dancing in at night. No idea of the name, perhaps someone here knows! You could incorporate dinner or drinks and make a night out of it.

Lots of events and area amenities listed on Temple Bar Cultural Trust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

I had some long lost Australian relations visit Ireland for a few days recently, and I took them for a walk on Dun Laoghaire pier - bit of exercise + it was a nice day - followed by a drive around Killiney , Dalkey etc. Told them about the famous people who lived there. They liked that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I think Q Bar has a Salsa night.

There's also this: http://www.salsa.ie/Event-Details.aspx?EventID=364

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=253311601349607

Sounds like something your visitors might enjoy

Advertisement