Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€70,000 awarded over 2FM sketch defamation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

Sully wrote: »
    Its worth noting, that as far as I am aware, "in my opinion" doesn't cover your ass. When someone has an issue with a post, they 9/10 always look for the posters information (IP address - ISP provides full info on who held the IP at that time etc). So its not just Boards who lands in hot water but its the user who posted it is head hunted and will be sued.

A lot of people don't think of that when they put on a brave face behind a username on an internet forum and act the Mr/Ms Tough Guy.

His (O'Toole) comments were insensitive and out of line. The world has gone PC mad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

J-Fit wrote: »
    His (O'Toole) comments were insensitive and out of line. The world has gone PC mad.

I'm not on about his comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Sully, I was configuring IP addresses when you were a child, I know the drill and could teach you quite a bit about it sometime.

There's nothing wrong with any of what I've said so I have nothing to fear or hide. Other threads allow similar comments but for some reason, the Maryland one always has tense modding which disallows decent discussion.

Jim Power accused of spicing up to sell books

Auction.co.uk dissed

Rohan and Palmer accused of price-hiking

RTE were found guilty and in my opinion, rightly so (here's hoping RTE don't sue me now). I just don't agree with the award as it's not very different from what happens every other day in the various forms of media.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Waterford City council should at least tell him to remove the sign from the building and do up the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I reckon €70k could easily paint the maryland and probably sort out the hideous stone cladding on the front of it as well. There should be a city ordinance forcing business owners to make sure their premises are well presented.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Sully wrote: »

A lot of people don't think of that when they put on a brave face behind a username on an internet forum and act the Mr/Ms Tough Guy.
    you forgot tough gal. Omg how sexist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

I reckon €70k could easily paint the maryland and probably sort out the hideous stone cladding on the front of it as well. There should be a city ordinance forcing business owners to make sure their premises are well presented.

He painted all the buildings he owns on Catherine St and power hosed the outside of the Maryland about this time last year around the time the council was enforcing a clean up of the Viking triangle. Can't imagine much more is going to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I don't know why they haven't. They have the power. Especially as its just opposite the Bishops Palace.

http://www.munster-express.ie/business/city-centre-set-for-fresh-lick-of-paint/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

To some people in the city, that establishment will always be associated with the questionable activities which may, or may not, have been going on there years ago before the current owners took over. I completely understand that it must be a nightmare for Mr. O' Toole trying to distance the place from that reputation, and the RTE sketch wouldnt have helped. But I dont think that it should have qualified as libel

All he has to do is change the name of the place and all his problems are solved:P

When did he buy the Maryland?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

wellbutty wrote: »
    Sully, I was configuring IP addresses when you were a child, I know the drill and could teach you quite a bit about it sometime.

There's nothing wrong with any of what I've said so I have nothing to fear or hide. Other threads allow similar comments but for some reason, the Maryland one always has tense modding which disallows decent discussion.

Jim Power accused of spicing up to sell books

Auction.co.uk dissed

Rohan and Palmer accused of price-hiking

RTE were found guilty and in my opinion, rightly so (here's hoping RTE don't sue me now). I just don't agree with the award as it's not very different from what happens every other day in the various forms of media.

I don't quite get your point? I'm sure your a wizzkid and myself and many others who know IT are more than familiar, perhaps even more familiar than you some might, on masking their real IP but most people are unaware and clueless so can and have been caught out.

Forgive me for doing what we are being instructed to do, even if I think its madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

A quote from Vincent O'Toole (reported in the News and Star).

"And stigmatizing Waterford and this area – an assault like that is supposed to be a joke? It’s a sick joke and it should be stopped, paying a man big money for that kind of rubbish. The people of Waterford should rise up and say we will not tolerate this any longer."

Lots of hard working people, from the city council to local restaurants, are doing their best and working hard to make that part of the city look better. And this 'gentleman' thinks he's play his part by leaving the Maryland look as though its derelict, in the heart of our city.

Well I consider that "It’s a sick joke and it should be stopped".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I see Mr. Vincent O' Toole, Maryland House, The Mall, Waterford has just died April 28th.

I see Mr. Vincent O' Toole, Maryland House, The Mall, Waterford has just died April 28th.

So you got RIP.ie working? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Yep, Vincent died on Saturday last, and was buried on Tuesday morning in Ballygunner. Very interesting character, was a naval officer in world war 2. Great racehorse breeder as well, Viking Flagship, and Flagship Uberalles were bred by him. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks, I had not known.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Is the maryland just abandoned now. Looks like it from the outside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Its been a total eyesore for years maybe now someone might buy it and do it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

shockwave wrote: »
    Its been a total eyesore for years maybe now someone might buy it and do it up

I'd be surprised if someone bought it. La Palma's old premises pretty much beside it I think was/is for sale for quite a while

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

But isn't it in prime location now with Viking triangle round the corner?

I'd say it would generate a nice income converted into apartments and let out via Airbnb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

bullpost wrote: »
    But isn't it in prime location now with Viking triangle round the corner?

I'd say it would generate a nice income converted into apartments and let out via Airbnb.

With the right owner it would make a great boutique hotel.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    With the right owner it would make a great boutique hotel.

"boutique" is that just a new name for a ....

Advertisement