Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a speed test website that is lightweight without shiny graphics?

• 15-07-2011 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

I'm having trouble with my connection, and I can barely open speedtest.net as it so shiny and hi-tech and flash heavy.

Is there a less bandwidth intensive website that tests for speed? The ones I've found have too much graphics.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Who's your ISP? is it landline based or mobile? or UPC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Moved from After Hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If you just want to measure download speed I would go to ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/ and download any large file.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LPHeadstrong

I find IrishISPtest.com good! Doesn't seem as flashy as Speedtest but I think it's better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Turkana

I actually want to test a mobile internet usb thingy... in Africa. It's painfully slow, and speedtest.net won't even open. But all the sites have stupid flash animations of a speedometer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If speedtest.net won't even load, then why bother to measure the speed? You are pretty much guaranteed that it's so slow it won't even register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Turkana

Because I want to measure the speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Speedtest can be difficult to use on slow connections. They have an Android app which works better and I use on my phone. That one long_b posted looks very good and will work on a computer. There is arguably a bigger difference in perception at the lower end of speeds than there is between say 256-512kb/s and any speed above that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

tuxy wrote: »
    If you just want to measure download speed I would go to ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/ and download any large file.

Just do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

tuxy wrote: »

Better still, Fire up multiple download streams and add them together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

try speedtest.upc.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Can't open speedtest.net? Then your connection is so slow that it is likely to fall within the margin of error anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

mwrf wrote: »
    Better still, Fire up multiple download streams and add them together.
    if his connection is so slow that speedtest.net won't even load for him then i'm fairly confident that multiple large file downloads are pretty pointless.

much better to get a locally installed bandwidth monitor like DUmeter or something like that and just download something and see how fast it goes.

Advertisement