Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 closing down for three months ?

Options
  • 15-07-2011 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Just overheard someone say the O2 is closing down for three months due to mo bookings. How long before NAMA ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LPHeadstrong

Starting when? I just got tickets in the post today! Better not be cancelled now!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Meh don't know if I belive that http://theo2.ie/event-listing/

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

No bookings? :/ Place looks pretty busy to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Admittedly I'm in the pub & eavesdropping, but they said they were being laid off for two to three months because the Grand Canal was booking most of the shows recently (perfect size for sell outs). They've had a couple of cancellations & are shutting the doors for a while.

Just checked that list posted above. There's nothing July, august & only four dares at the end of september.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The next show is Dolly Parton on Sept 14th, and then a short run of Batman from Sept 28th.

I'm guessing that most bands capable of filling The Point will be playing Festivals in the summer, regular tour schedules will probably resume Oct through to June next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Its dead ... Riahanna is the next sell out gig. Most of the rest inbetween will be half full at best.

2 years ago i used to get called in there to work nearly every week. Even 3 times a week.

Now its like the famine.

I hope for better times ahead for the O2.
    Its the best venue we have by miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 BigFatBass

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Its dead ... Riahanna is the next sell out gig. Most of the rest inbetween will be half full at best.

2 years ago i used to get called in there to work nearly every week. Even 3 times a week.

Now its like the famine.

I hope for better times ahead for the O2.
    Its the best venue we have by miles

How did u get a job there? I have been looking everywhere and cannot find anywhere to apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

wait for festival season to end and then get the announcements, november on always is full of gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'm guessing that most bands capable of filling The Point will be playing festivals in the summer, regular tour schedules will probably resume Oct through to June next year

I made the same point on another thread. Regardless of personal taste, you can pick any of the current festival headliners (Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Beyonce, etc.) and they'd fill it no problem. You can be sure there'll be a lot of big names lined up for November/December/January. Summer and Autumn are just traditionally "slow" periods for indoor shows. December is always very busy in the O2. I remember seeing Horslips, Simple Minds/OMD, Depeche Mode and Paul McCartney in the space of about two weeks there in 2009.

On a bigger scale, in relation to any possible threat it may face, their main issue is one of bad timing. They were too late in developing the old Point, a venue where time had stood still for twenty years, and by the time it was done, the recession was upon us, the golden age of Irish concertgoing was no more, and they'd a 13,000 seater to fill at a time when the country was experiencing its darkest days since about 1983.

Now of course, certain things will always do well, especially pop acts. Enough kids will always somehow persuade mum and dad to fork out for P!NK tickets or Glee, but unless the artist has received exceptional concert reviews (Leonard Cohen is a good example), anything aimed at an older demographic is a real risk, and often the artist is left playing to a half seated house, with the area beyond Row 32 curtained off.

They've tried to counterbalance risk of potential poor sales with the introduction of the "optimum standing" floor arrangement (as used at Santana, Taylor Swift and Rush)*, which means there is a smaller standing area. This means the floor is guaranteed to be full, with tiered seats starting from the ground, as opposed to having a balcony. This is a really good configuration, but it doesn't suit all acts.

The problems with the development of the white elephant Point Village meant that the dynamic area that developer Harry Crosbie envisaged for the space around the concert venue simply didn't happen, so the O2 is - to an extent - a bit like the ill-fated Lighthouse Cinema; an entertainment venue that was set up on the basis that it would be at the centre of a newly-developed social and cultural hub, but once that all collapsed like a house of cards, the venue was left floundering. Now, I'm not saying that the O2 will go the same way of the Lighthouse, but it's a comparison worth making.

I was at Peter Kay a few months ago, which was part of a sellout run, but the merchandise stands and the bars were doing very little business, and a huge amount of the venue's income is through bar sales. This lack of business was equally evident earlier this week at James Taylor.

In relative terms, the Grand Canal Theatre is probably not faring any better, due to the overall economic climate. Famously designed to cater primarily for touring musical theatre productions, sales for many shows have been underwhelming - e.g., Chess - and there have been some ridiculously ambitious decisions made to put rock and pop acts there who wouldn't have sufficient appeal to fill the 2,100 seats.

As I said at the outset, this is all down to bad timing. The simple fact is that people are tightening their belts and don't have the money to fork out to see concerts as much as before, especially for artists of "O2-level", where the prices start at around the €60 mark. There was a time not so long ago where I was hitting forty or fifty concerts a year, but now it's about a third as many. I've just become increasingly selective, and so, it would seem, has everyone else.

* I'm not suggesting these particular shows didn't sell - I'm just using them as examples of when that arrangement was used

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Check any arena in Europe between May - September, they'll only have a handful of music shows, it's standard during festival season.

/close thread

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea as said the summer months is festival season for most bands so bands wait till later on to come back and hit the arenas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

A reflection of the times, I feel for the security and bar staff who will loose money through this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

The O2 is a great venue, on the Luas line so doesn't suffer the same transport problems as the old Point did (that god awful 60 minute walk along the cold quays after the show :rolleyes:)

However, if they want to put on more stuff I suggest they stop pricing the concerts astronomically. All the decent acts are €70+, making it an expensive night out. I wanted to see Tina Turner badly, but some of those tickets were €130 and there was no way in hell I could justify paying €260 for 2 of us just to set foot inside the venue. It's mad money.

By comparison, the same acts that play in the UK are often much more expensive on this island when on the same tour, it's only a 90min ferry journey FFS, there is no good reason for the premium other than pure greed.

Make the concerts less of a rip off and I'll gladly go to more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Savman wrote: »
    that god awful 60 minute walk along the cold quays after the show

60 mins? Are you on your hands and knees or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

It doesn't surprise me that much that there's nothing on until September, being the summer and all. Usually we get at least one of the Reading/Leeds headliners doing an O2 gig around late August but pickings are slim with that this year.

I guess what surprises me more is the amount of concerts between October and December, seems to be much less this year. December is usually chock-a-block with gigs and so far only one concert has been announced. It's still early days yet so I'm sure there will be more events announced in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

Crap venue, don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Crap venue, don't care.
    Pointless post, why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Savman wrote: »
    However, if they want to put on more stuff I suggest they stop pricing the concerts astronomically. All the decent acts are €70+, making it an expensive night out. I wanted to see Tina Turner badly, but some of those tickets were €130 and there was no way in hell I could justify paying €260 for 2 of us just to set foot inside the venue. It's mad money.

By comparison, the same acts that play in the UK are often much more expensive on this island when on the same tour, it's only a 90min ferry journey FFS, there is no good reason for the premium other than pure greed.

Make the concerts less of a rip off and I'll gladly go to more.

Thing is, people are paying the prices they charge so there's no reason to charge less. Most events there seem to sell very well (from the few I've been to, maybe it's been half empty at times?), so they know what they're doing in that respect. Why should they charge less if they're getting punters through the door?

As for things being cheaper in the UK, of course they are, because most acts that go there can put on several shows as opposed to one or two here. The acts who play the o2 here would probably play similar (usually bigger) venues in London, Manchester, Birmingham and Scotland, so there's far more money to be made, so they can charge less. Also, getting between those venues costs less for moving equipment, people and stage set-ups and can be done much quicker.

You say it's a 90min ferry journey, but I don't think there are many Arenas in Holyhead, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Like everything else in this country, its to fecking expensive. A fine venue, but people dont have the money anymore to fork out big money for tickets.

My Mrs was looking at taking the 8 year old to britney spears, but with standing at 70 euro, and the rest from 54 to 91 euros, its a lot of money.

I appreciate she probably wouldnt bother coming to Ireland unless she gets a good wad, but nobody has to throw around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Wasn't there talk of a cinema going in there too?

Regarding the Ticket price. The artist gets a set fee based on their minimum Vs the size of the venue, this is agreed & paid by the promoter. It's then up to the promoter to sell tickets (having hired the venue etc) & their profit is on top, it's not down to the artist what the ticket price is. Obviously the bigger the artist, the greater the fee, which will affect the eventual ticket price, but it's usually promoter set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Mr.S wrote: »
    Crap venue, don't care.
    :rolleyes:

Why's it crap? Its probably one of the best state of the art venues in Ireland.

No disrespect Mod but it's dreadful. Not a patch on the old Point - with all its faults - in terms of atmosphere, sightlines and acoustics. I've seen wildly differing acts in the new O2 - Prodigy, Deadmau5, Tina Turner, Kylie, Russell Brand and Roger Waters. They all sucked. Couldn't see. Couldn't hear. Beer/toilet/beer/toilet on and on, and that godawful floodlighting at the back near the foodstalls.

Any venue that makes a Deadmau5/Calvin Harris gig feel like a Sonny Knowles concert needs to think again.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

No disrespect Mod but it's dreadful. Not a patch on the old Point - with all its faults - in terms of atmosphere, sightlines and acoustics. I've seen wildly differing acts in the new O2 - Prodigy, Deadmau5, Tina Turner, Kylie, Russell Brand and Roger Waters. They all sucked. Couldn't see. Couldn't hear. Beer/toilet/beer/toilet on and on, and that godawful floodlighting at the back near the foodstalls.

Any venue that makes a Deadmau5/Calvin Harris gig feel like a Sonny Knowles concert needs to think again.

I have to disagree with this. i think the O2 is far superior to the old point. The O2 certainly has faults. If you are standing and in a bad spot you can get a crowd passing you to get to bars/toilets constantly. But the view and the sound is far better IMO. And there is more than one toilet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Neo# wrote: »

I have to disagree with this. i think the O2 is far superior to the old point. The O2 certainly has faults. If you are standing and in a bad spot you can get a crowd passing you to get to bars/toilets constantly. But the view and the sound is far better IMO. And there is more than one toilet!

I've been everywhere in there, and it's like a morgue. The seated crowd are motionless being too far from the action. The standing areas unless squashed down the front are floodlit and too close to bars.

The old Point didn't allow booze in the arena itself and boring as it was it made the crowd focus more.

If you can get me know by PM a genuinely good spot in there I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

A lot of the higher ticket cost in Ireland as opposed to the UK and Europe is down to insurance costs, let's not forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

I've been everywhere in there, and it's like a morgue. The seated crowd are motionless being too far from the action. The standing areas unless squashed down the front are floodlit and too close to bars.

The old Point didn't allow booze in the arena itself and boring as it was it made the crowd focus more.

If you can get me know by PM a genuinely good spot in there I'd appreciate it.

The seated section of the crowd is by and large, closer to the stage than the old Point, that was the reasoning for building up.

When the old one was there, all we ever heard was people complaining that you couldn't bring drinks into the arena.

The old Point was the worst venue I've ever been in. The o2 is a little "corporate", I'll admit, but it's a small price to pay for sound you can hear and acts you can actually see. Anyway, anyone who can play that size of venue is "corporate" anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

RIP The Ambassador, the best venue in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

The O2 has been designed for good acoustics , and the arena style give the best vantage points . Its got loads. I really like the place.
    I dont get how some posters say the old point had better sound. Its simply did not. It was a big shed in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm not into many O2 size bands, but it's been a fantastic venue anytime I've been there. The floor feels like a far smaller space than it is, and the balcony - though balconys are never my cup of tea - felt far closer than it is and came with amazing sightlines.

The old Point had fond memories in its favour and that was all. It was a terrible venue in all other regards, and the O2 is a massive improvement let down only by it's slightly embarrassingly corporate branding.

Advertisement