Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 day ban from After Hours

Options
  • 15-07-2011 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭

For the record, I am dusbious about the effectiveness of appeals here. I haven't seen any success yet. Resolution upheld all over the place This is more Rebecca Brooks investigating NI type stuff.

Nevertheless - to show the process up - ere's the post: Spot the banning offence.

In any case the State should demand that serious crimes be reported, the Church can refuse; however the individual priests should be arrested if it can be proven that the alleged perp turned up and confessed that actual crime ( something I imagine which would be quite difficult) and the priest should go to prison for his beliefs if he continues to withhold. If there are any laws which allow priests to legally withhold, remove them, however the Catholic Church can continue to protect the privacy of the confessional, if it chooses, at a cost to itself.

Do any of the modern anti-Catholic atheists get a bit queasy when agreeing with an utter bigot like KeithAFC? You should: his attitudes pretty much exterminated your ancestors.

Apparently an ad hominem, justifying a 7 day ban. It was also an aside, not a reply to KeithAFC. In fact KeithAFC is clearly from a bigoted community and definitely comes across as a anti-Catholic bigot in all his posts, which in Northern Ireland has had serious repercussions..

Notice that I am agreeing, here, with the idea that Catholic priests should be locked up for non-disclosure of the confessional, but that they should still respect the privacy of the confessional. So no reflexive pro-Catholicism - I am a non believer. On the other hand KeithAFC is of the opinion that the catholic Church is not just in control of the republic of Ireland - de rigeur in his circles - but of the entire Western World. It is that I was replying to, admittedly off-handly. I then asked people were they quesy agreeing with him, and with that sentiment. Simple legitimate stuff.

Sounds perfectly correct to me. Ad hominems are off topic attacks: not all attacks on the man are ad hominens, To quote wikipedia

The ad hominem is normally described as a logical fallacy,[2][3][4] but it is not always fallacious; in some instances, questions of personal conduct, character, motives, etc., are legitimate and relevant to the issue.[5]

Imagine After hours as a forum for Jews , and there is a pedophile crisis in the orthodocx church, and the forum is hostile: in comes an anti-semite with talk about how Jews rule the Western world. It would be legitimate to say it should make the other ( secular) jewish posters queasy to agree with him.

Utterly normal post.

( As for providing links to the original post - I already had to log out to get to the forum, find the post by walking through the pages, search is not working, and I am not going back to do that again to copy a link. Why are banned posters not just banned from posting, not from seeing the forum?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

This is labelled Soc - should be Rec.

Please post the ban message - you would have a PM from the mod who banned you. I'd like to read that.

In the meantime, I'll read over the thread (Catholic Church claims it is above the law) and your posts in it.

Advertisement