Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

custom frame painting?

• 15-07-2011 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

hi all,
    i want a yellow frame but cant seem to find a frame in yellow within me budjet :/ anyone know somebody who can paint a carbon frame with a reasonable price?
    thanks in advance :)
    regards,
    k.b.c.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Carbon frames cost unreasonable money to paint. I paid 300 sterling not including postage to have a trek madone carbon painted in plain black by Atlantic Boulevard in the UK. Argos Cycles in Bristol are supposed to be very good also. Problem with carbon is that it has to be manually hand stripped and sanded. You cannot sand blast or chemically treat it. Painting an aluminium or steel bike is far more straightforward, tallaght powder coating will do it for a hundred euros or less usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

Can anyone remember the other strip and spray company that someone recommended a little while back?
    They did mostly motorbike paint jobs and started doing bicycles and had some praise heaped on them for it

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭byebye

Try mad clown design in limerick. He does motorcycles and that but he'l do a frame for you no prob!

www.madclowndesign.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Powder coating has to be baked so id stay well away from that as it will melt the plastics in the carbon,paint is usually cured by baking too but doesnt have to be,it just speeds up the process,i couldnt recommend argos highly enough,if you can splash the cash id send it over to them,you will end up with a showroom finish.

Holyboy wrote: »
    Powder coating has to be baked so id stay well away from that as it will melt the plastics in the carbon,paint is usually cured by baking too but doesnt have to be,it just speeds up the process,i couldnt recommend argos highly enough,if you can splash the cash id send it over to them,you will end up with a showroom finish.

madclown would not be powder coatin a carbon frame!! its all sprayed and the details airbrushed on + graphics. iv seen a few frames he's done and are top class. he also quoted me around €330 for 4/5 colours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

byebye wrote: »
    madclown would not be powder coatin a carbon frame!! its all sprayed and the details airbrushed on + graphics. iv seen a few frames he's done and are top class. he also quoted me around €330 for 4/5 colours

I wasn't saying mad clown would do a bad job, I've checked out his work online in my search for a good spray painter in this country and was very impressed with his finishes on motorbikes, he does really great work, it's just painting a bicycle frame is completely different to painting anything else and the likes of Argos have been doing it for years, I've used them before (a lot) and never been disappointed, also when it comes to the likes of carbon frames the companies that have experience know what they are doing as it's VERY different to steel or aluminium, but as I said he does really amazing work.

Holyboy wrote: »
    I wasn't saying mad clown would do a bad job, I've checked out his work online in my search for a good spray painter in this country and was very impressed with his finishes on motorbikes, he does really great work, it's just painting a bicycle frame is completely different to painting anything else and the likes of Argos have been doing it for years, I've used them before (a lot) and never been disappointed, also when it comes to the likes of carbon frames the companies that have experience know what they are doing as it's VERY different to steel or aluminium, but as I said he does really amazing work.

Ya i understand that. hes doin a fair bit of carbonfiber work now whit in use in racein bike fairings and other parts. just another option and at a good price for what he does!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 bikelover

thanks lads i think ill be giving mad clown a buzz !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Hi guys, sorry for pulling an old thread out, but, although, a long time boards member don't browse through the biking section too often ;)

I don't want to make it look like an advertisement, but since the name of my company was mentioned, I thought that I might add a thing or two...

I do understand, that there are specialized shops dealing with bike frames only over the sea and that's fair enough, unfortunately Irish market isn't big enough to justify existence of such a specialized business.
    We are specilaist paint shop - not crash repair shop - and we can paint anything - and we have painted a wide variety of items for customers from all walks of life. Sure, motorbikes are the main bread earner, but we've done speakers, computers, helmets, guitars and bike frames too. Both carbon fibre and aluminium.

It doesn't matter, what we are having in the workshop the final result must be always the same - perfect.
    Prices do vary, depends on the design and time involved in creating the paint job rather than how many colours are on the frame. For example, fully airbrushed frame with celtic design in two colours will cost considerably more than straight tri colored stripe on blue frame.
    We don't do powdercoating in the house and we can get the basecolour powdercoated on aluminium frames and do our paintwork on top of this layer or start from bare aluminum and epoxy primer and do the whole lot the same way as we do motorcycle frames.
    Carbon fibre frames are impossible to get powdercoated anyway, so they do have to be painted normal way.

Hope that clears a few things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 The Lucan Collective

Send me on your Email / Phone - Ill send a frame down

• Advertisement
Advertisement