Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting Out: Hybrid or Road Bike

• 15-07-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Hi all, long time reader first time poster here. I'm thinking about getting into cycling and looking for some quick advise. I know this has probably been asked hundreds of times here but anyway... Would you guys recommend a hybrid or a road bike. I had a few quick rides on a friends road bike recently and thought it was the business! The bike would be for road cycling only. My main concern is that if I get the hybrid and really take to cycling would i need to upgrade to a road bike down the line? Also would it be possible to recommend me a few entry level hybrids and road bikes. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

long time reader
    Then you know what the answer is gonna be. Sure you answered it yourself in your post.

Road bikes are the business. Your intended use is road cycling. You will only end up buying one anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 bikelover

i agree with p.t.d your regret it and buy a road bike down the line as you get into the sport more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I took up cycling 3 months ago and went for a road bike. Really happy I did. For the first 2 or 3 weeks my arms got a bit tired from using the drop bars but have no problem with it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Johnners1878

Hi all, long time reader first time poster here. I'm thinking about getting into cycling and looking for some quick advise. I know this has probably been asked hundreds of times here but anyway... Would you guys recommend a hybrid or a road bike. I had a few quick rides on a friends road bike recently and thought it was the business! The bike would be for road cycling only. My main concern is that if I get the hybrid and really take to cycling would i need to upgrade to a road bike down the line? Also would it be possible to recommend me a few entry level hybrids and road bikes. Thanks!

As one who got it wrong - The correct answer is "ROAD".

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrick151

Not disagreeing with the above by any means, but started on a hybrid, then went to a hybrid racer (race with flat bars) and have, €600 later, ended up with a road bike....

There's really no comparison between the two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Get the road bike. I did and haven't looked back. :D

Advertisement