Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warning Warning new tarmac

• 15-07-2011 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭

Just a quick warning a friend of mine was driving her car along a new stretch of tarmac and went completely out of control went up a bank into a tree. There were three separate incidence like this in one day according to a council member. Its caused by the new type of tarmac being used when the it gets hot then wet all the oils comes to the surface making it fecking lethal. I had a little back wheel wobble the other day on a new bit but was alright.

This all happened around west cork.

So good luck and stay safe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

pachey100 wrote: »
    Its caused by the new type of tarmac being used when the it gets hot then wet all the oils comes to the surface making it fecking lethal.

I'm rather skeptical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭pachey100

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

Just a quick warning a friend of mine was driving her car along a new stretch of tarmac and went completely out of control went up a bank into a tree. There were three separate incidence like this in one day according to a council member. Its caused by the new type of tarmac being used when the it gets hot then wet all the oils comes to the surface making it fecking lethal. I had a little back wheel wobble the other day on a new bit but was alright.

This all happened around west cork.

So good luck and stay safe

well theres yer problem! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

when the it gets hot then wet all the oils comes to the surface making it fecking lethal.
    This happens on road surfaces anyway. You're supposed to be very cautious driving on a road that has been wet by rain after a dry spell for the exact reason you describe above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

MargeS wrote: »
    This happens on road surfaces anyway. You're supposed to be very cautious driving on a road that has been wet by rain after a dry spell for the exact reason you describe above.

yup, one of the first things I was taught by my oul fella about driving... that and not to change gears in corners (except at mondello haha)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Yep, my first fall was because of dry roads for months then hot weather.

Lesson learnt that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭rameire

it happens on all new tarmac'd road surfaces
    especially roads that do not have their final surface as the bitumen is dense and so the water cannot escape as easily.

also as above, if it has been dry and then it rains, all the grease and dirt laid down over the previous days will make the road slippy,

it is nothing to do with a new road surface type.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

rameire wrote: »
    it is nothing to do with a new road surface type.

entirely true in relation to the OP

but when the council does the whole "lay loose chippings over a surface and let the traffic flatten it down" thing...then that's a new road surface type that should be banned

this type of surfacing lethal for bikes...especially after its been down for a couple of weeks and the bits with the semi loose covering in the middle and very edge are almost indistinguishable from the bits where the traffic have compacted the chippings down...and especially where they do short sections of a stretch of road where one minute you're zipping along on a perfectly normal road and the next you have entered a gravel test track unawares.

sometimes I think the local county council are out to get me.....

then there's the whole leaving small sections of gravel on the entrance to roundabouts ---- got caught with that once ---never again.

god how I hate and fear (in equal measures) unexpected patches of gravel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭rameire

Kildare county council did the Lets throw some stones onto a road,
    between Athy and Carlow and between Athy and Stradbally last year.
    they spent weeks doing it and prob cost a fortune, it is a year later and it is badly worn and in worse state than it was previously.

they were nice roads to drive on, on a bike but as you say they are nasty to drive on now, there is no grip in the corners and my bike has slid quite a bit on those roads.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

amacca wrote: »

but when the council does the whole "lay loose chippings over a surface and let the traffic flatten it down" thing...then that's a new road surface type that should be banned

this type of surfacing lethal for bikes...especially after its been down for a couple of weeks and the bits with the semi loose covering in the middle and very edge are almost indistinguishable from the bits where the traffic have compacted the chippings down...and especially where they do short sections of a stretch of road where one minute you're zipping along on a perfectly normal road and the next you have entered a gravel test track unawares.

then there's the whole leaving small sections of gravel on the entrance to roundabouts ---- got caught with that once ---never again.

But it's OK they put up 25km/h signs to protect us. They are lethal and illegal as the councils leave them, but since it's only bikers who are in danger nobody cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

This is pretty typical for newly laid tarmac. If it looks glossy or shiny be careful or avoid.

Newly laid road in Cavan has had the top layer put on 4 weeks ago. Tons of small rubble in the middle of the road. Had to be very careful and the car up me arse does not help....!

I wonder how longer before they come sweep it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

wonder no longer

they will not sweep it up.....they will leave it there until the traffic eventually compacts it into the skim of bitumen below

its a great way to surface roads that cuts out that pesky business of having to roll the surface and lay adequate amounts of bitumen:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Newly laid road in Cavan has had the top layer put on 4 weeks ago. Tons of small rubble in the middle of the road. Had to be very careful and the car up me arse does not help....!

Awww ye cavan people wont know yourselves with the potholes gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

amacca wrote: »

+1.
    Have any of you driven through carrick-on-shannon in the last few years?
    I think the county council must have had a few thousand litres of what can only be described as extra slippy gloss paint lying around a store room. They painted all the disabled parking spaces in this blue, slippy when wet paint and in the last few months they have gone cycle path mad and painted "logos" all around the roads around the town with this lovely slippery paint, as if we didnt have enough to watch out for with gravel, potholes, strategically placed manholes, idiots swinging car doors in our path and random idiots who walk out in front of you as if your motorcycle has a cloaking device on it :mad:

*have had one of those weeks on the road, so apologies for the rant lol

Yeah, using cars as steam rollers!

As for Cavan pot holes, I think the lad who goes around spray painting them to warn drivers is back out.

It's actually really helpful.

Also, the more trips I do to more I find man holes in the middle of the road, must have been when the widen the road but some are in really tricky places!

Advertisement