Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Differences between forums in regards to Copyright..

Options
  • 15-07-2011 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭

The Satellite and Foriegn Satellite forums both have a very rigid and strong policy on the discussion of any "grey areas" such as piracy and counterfeit goods.

The Soccer forum on the other hand seems to allow discussions on sites to purchase counterfeit football tops and the review and active discussion of sites which stream Subscription channels such as Sky Sports, Espn etc.

There even seems to be an entire thread dedicated to one provider who sells access to Subscription based channels which im sure BSKYB are over the moon about (not that I give two tosses for them)

Just wondering as to the difference between forums under the one boards.ie banner. :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Interesting question, it's something I wondered myself recently after seeing the threads dedicated to conterfeit and illegal streaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

The Satellite and Foriegn Satellite forums both have a very rigid and strong policy on the discussion of any "grey areas" such as piracy and counterfeit goods.

The Soccer forum on the other hand seems to allow discussions on sites to purchase counterfeit football tops and the review and active discussion of sites which stream Subscription channels such as Sky Sports, Espn etc.

There even seems to be an entire thread dedicated to one provider who sells access to Subscription based channels which im sure BSKYB are over the moon about (not that I give two tosses for them)

Just wondering as to the difference between forums under the one boards.ie banner. :)

Good question :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

byte wrote: »
    Interesting question, it's something I wondered myself recently after seeing the threads dedicated to conterfeit and illegal streaming.
    Where are these?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just to clarify, in the Tech section of boards the rule is now that no discussion on getting specifically getting around GeoIP blocking is allowed nor id discussion of illegal streams.

Discussion of how to setup services that offer VPN's is fine the same as P2P discussion is allowed but again nothing related to copyright material.

imho if the streams are copyright and somebody is reselling them without permission from Sky then no discussion should be allowed on boards.

In addition bootleg clothes shouldn't be allowed either tbh

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I can't understand how there's anything legally or morally wrong about using a proxy to access a legal stream. Say RTE are showing a GAA match - what law is there to say that someone can't change his IP address to access the site and more to the point how can that adversely affect anyone else, given that the game is not being broadcast in the country the person is viewing it from?

I can understand that there's some technical legal reason for the site itself not making the content available to certain IP addresses but not the reverse. YouTube have started streaming things like the Copa America to which they don't have the rights AFAIK so if someone were to watch a match on there via a VPN/proxy what exactly are they doing wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Say RTE are showing a GAA match - what law is there to say that someone can't change his IP address to access the site and more to the point how can that adversely affect anyone else, given that the game is not being broadcast in the country the person is viewing it from?
    There isn't a law stating that you can't change your IP address, but it is against the terms and conditions of the website and boards and particularly the Tech section has a long tradition of not allowing discussion of things that go against the terms set down by the owners that may not be against the law or where laws would be unclear (e.g. terms of software licensing).
    YouTube have started streaming things like the Copa America to which they don't have the rights AFAIK
    If YouTube are legitimately streaming something they will have to have worked out a rights deal with the content owners.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Can I ask what the stance is on posting an article where it's a subscription service - i.e., a newspaper? I've not done this, btw, but read a Sunday Times article on the state of cinema a while ago and I'm guessing just because it's available on Lexus Nexus doesn't mean it's safe to post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

if its behind a subwall then, generally, you can quote lines out of the article but you cannot recreate the article itself (there is a percentage but I dont know what it is). You can provide a link to the article but you should make it clear that the linked article requires a subscription to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Just a bump of an old thread.

Any update from the powers that be in relation this this issue? Why the differing rules between forums on the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Just a bump of an old thread.

Any update from the powers that be in relation this this issue? Why the differing rules between forums on the site?

The has gotten a bit more grey with Mr. Sherlocks most excellent Statutory Instrument. AFAIK Boards are still trying to work out a policy on what is and isn't allowed since the SI may have made it much more risky to post anything that's a bit copyrighted.

• Advertisement

And this would effectively ruin a lot of what people enjoy most about boards, I think. Damn you, Mr. Sherlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Surely the question here is whether the sites being discussed are breaching copyright. One has been openly in business for many years & claims to be totally legal. Given that the copyright holders have been quick to shut down other providers it does suggest that these sites might be operating in a legitimate way.

Is it up to Boards to determine whether a site is legal ?

Also isn't there an element where every forum sets it's own rules ?

Discodog wrote: »
    Surely the question here is whether the sites being discussed are breaching copyright. One has been openly in business for many years & claims to be totally legal. Given that the copyright holders have been quick to shut down other providers it does suggest that these sites might be operating in a legitimate way.

Is it up to Boards to determine whether a site is legal ?

Also isn't there an element where every forum sets it's own rules ?

If the site is outside the US or EU it's pretty damn hard to shut it down.

If the site is outside the US or EU it's pretty damn hard to shut it down.

I have heard that both are based in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Just thought I'd post what I thought of this or if it still happens.

Always thought it was a huge double standard on the site when you couldn't link to sites streaming movies/tv shows for free etc yet you were allowed link to sport streams.

Rights holders pay money to televise events like the Premier League so it's their copyright the same as the tv stations pay for rights to shows.

It's the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I can understand that there's some technical legal reason for the site itself not making the content available to certain IP addresses but not the reverse. YouTube have started streaming things like the copa America

Off-topic:

YouTube also have a fair collection on movies on the site too. Something they used to rigidly monitor.

Off-topic:

YouTube also have a fair collection on movies on the site too. Something they used to rigidly monitor.

If it's on Youtube it's under licence for the most part. You will find very little content there that the copyright holder is not happy to have there.

Is it not up to the copyright holder to complain & request that material is removed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

flyswatter wrote: »
    Just thought I'd post what I thought of this or if it still happens.

Always thought it was a huge double standard on the site when you couldn't link to sites streaming movies/tv shows for free etc yet you were allowed link to sport streams.

Rights holders pay money to televise events like the Premier League so it's their copyright the same as the tv stations pay for rights to shows.

It's the same thing.

I believe the reasoning is this:

Anywhere in the world video streams for movies/tv shows are illegal. Therefore, no links allowed.

On the other hand for most sports there is a free terrestrial link to this stream, therefore posting of links allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Joko wrote: »
    I believe the reasoning is this:

Anywhere in the world video streams for movies/tv shows are illegal. Therefore, no links allowed.

On the other hand for most sports there is a free terrestrial link to this stream, therefore posting of links allowed.

If that is the reasoning (which I really doubt) then it is completely wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement