Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

identify a plant please

Options
  • 15-07-2011 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

HI,

We saw this plant in Cornwall, it was lovely and it grew down a wall, the gardener said its nick name was something line "messy" and that it was African.

anyone any idea of its full name and where to get some?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mesembryanethemum. Fairly easy to get at present in garden centres etc as they are in flower. There are two kinds, the purple one which grows kind of wild a bit like aubretia, in the right place. The other is a cultivar of lots of colours and is usually the one on sale.

You will not get great results from them unless you have the right spot, in full sun and fairly near the coast. They close up if the sun goes in. The multicoloured one is a bit easier but is strictly an annual, whereas the purple one will be a perennial in a sheltered spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thank you, I was thinking of building irrigated planters on top of my wall in d15 and was hoping this would grow down the wall and brighten it up, the wall does not get much sun so this may be a bad idea given your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I hear old guttering is good to use.

thanks a great idea, i never thought of that. I've seen old downpipe run vertically down a wall filled with gravel in the bottom and with soil in the top and in various large holes that were drilled in the side, but the gutter would suit me.

There is a small version of campanula which would suit your conditions, it grows more or less wild and once established will grow in every crack and crevice, has a nice blue flower and a long flowering season.

Also consider woodland strawberry - again I have them growing in all sorts of odd places, self seeded and producing lots of strawberries from between pavings etc. They flower and fruit from late spring to the autumn.

Nasturtiums will also self seed and drape down a wall, they flower better from poorish soil.

Harts tongue fern will also self seed (eventually) - I have a very shady spot and they are again growing all over the place from one original plant.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    There is a small version of campanula which would suit your conditions, it grows more or less wild and once established will grow in every crack and crevice, has a nice blue flower and a long flowering season.

Also consider woodland strawberry - again I have them growing in all sorts of odd places, self seeded and producing lots of strawberries from between pavings etc. They flower and fruit from late spring to the autumn.

Nasturtiums will also self seed and drape down a wall, they flower better from poorish soil.

Harts tongue fern will also self seed (eventually) - I have a very shady spot and they are again growing all over the place from one original plant.

last question, any idea where to get them in Dublin please?

You will find the campanula in the 'rockery' section of any decent garden center, the wild strawberries also. The fern not too difficult either. Nasturtiums you grow from seed, bit late this year but you could sow them in the autumn or spring for next year.

Can't help you with specific places but the plants are all fairly common, you might try Mr Middleton in Dublin, I am not in Dublin so I do not know the garden centres in Dublin.

i picked up a couple of the campanulas yesterday, I'd still like something a little more shrubby though

Shrubs would probably have difficulty surviving in the kind of environment you are suggesting. The things I was suggesting can often grow in minimal soil.

Advertisement