Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Tipp people

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

Matt the thrasher is a fictional character in Kickham's novel Knocknagow. Perhaps he was loosely based on someone Kickham knew.

Yea....think you are right. A North Tipp man with All-Ireland honours in the quaffing dept assured me he was a local from the Birdhill area but on deeper digging, I find he does not stand up.

Abraham wrote: »
    Yea....think you are right. A North Tipp man with All-Ireland honours in the quaffing dept assured me he was a local from the Birdhill area but on deeper digging, I find he does not stand up.

To be fair there is a pub in Birdhill called 'Matt the Threshers' so maybe there is something there too

This man

George Plant from Fethard (or St Johnstown, Moyglass to be more correct) who was executed in 1940

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Andrea Roche - Model - Clonmel

Adi Roche - Chernobyl Childrens Project - Clonmel

The late Frank Meagher - Rally Driver - Fethard
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rally-driver-died-giving-spin-to-fan-304064.html
    Apologies for going off topic but I remember Frank Meagher rallying, he was a huge loss to motorsport in Ireland.

Donie Keating was another rally driver from Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Patrick Bergin (Actor) resides in Cloughjordan
    Charlie Swan, multiple National Hunt Champion jockey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Sir Andrew and Lady Lloyd Webber, Kiltinan Castle (Fethard)

...Tipperary by association, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

It's a sad day when an exiled Dublin living in Tipp needs to remind you Tipperary lot about : Louise Kennedy, the world famous designer, is from Thurles!:D

(incidentally I always considered Sean kelly as a Tipp man but knowing the man reasonably well, he actually told me that his mother was from Kilkenny. A bit od useless info).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

hinault wrote: »
    It's a sad day when an exiled Dublin living in Tipp needs to remind you Tipperary lot about : Louise Kennedy, the world famous designer, is from Thurles!:D

jprboy wrote: »
    11. Tony Ryan, businessman, Thurles
    12. Louise Kennedy, designer, Thurles
    13. Frank Patterson, singer, Clonmel
    14. Shane McGowan, singer, mother from Puckane and he spends a lot of time in North Tipp

That post from an earlier page...Ya gotta read the full thread:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

(incidentally I always considered Sean kelly as a Tipp man but knowing the man reasonably well, he actually told me that his mother was from Kilkenny. A bit od useless info).

DT100 has kindly pointed out the fact that Louise Kennedy WAS already mentioned by.... oh, that would be me !

Slightly off topic but you know Sean Kelly and go by the name of hinault - big into the auld cycling I'd say .. yes?

DT100 wrote: »

That post from an earlier page...Ya gotta read the full thread:D

Does anyone know where the nearest branch of specsavers is?:D
    (I missed your earlier post. Apologies).

• Advertisement

DT100 has kindly pointed out the fact that Louise Kennedy WAS already mentioned by.... oh, that would be me !

Slightly off topic but you know Sean Kelly and go by the name of hinault - big into the auld cycling I'd say .. yes?

My user name is a give away.

I like cycling and I used race years ago back in Dublin when I was in my teens/20's.
    I cycled with the Orwell Wheelers - Stephen Roches old club.

I've got to know Sean over the years too. He's an absolute gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Maurice Davin is a Tipp man, one of the founders of the GAA.

Shane Long is a former Tipp minor hurler making a couple grand a week for himself over in England at present.

looder wrote: »
    Maurice Davin is a Tipp man, one of the founders of the GAA.

Shane Long is a former Tipp minor hurler making a couple grand a week for himself over in England at present.

There's another young fellow Michael Rafter from nearby Glengoole who was at Colchester United up to last year but things didnt quite work out for him. Think he is at Waterford United now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Donnacha Ryan of Munster and Ireland Rugby fame is from Nenagh afaik.

William Magner of Magners/Bulmers fame is credited with starting Cider production in Clonmel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Rain Over Me

Lena Rice of New Inn, Tipperary Only female Irish woman to win a ladies title at wimbledon

gillad wrote: »
    lena rice,new inn.. the only female irish tennis player to win a singles title at wimbledon
    Lena Rice of New Inn, Tipperary Only female Irish woman to win a ladies title at wimbledon

gillad beat you to it with an earlier post.... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ah nuts

Charles Bianconi. Transportation Clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Anyone mention Ryan O Dwyer,could be very famous after, ahem,sunday.

tipptom wrote: »
    Anyone mention Ryan O Dwyer,could be very famous after, ahem,sunday.

Yes, Post #56......
    Ryan O'Dwyer (Tipperary turned Dublin hurler) from Cashel - 3 goals and a point in the first half

I find the Search function useful to avoid repeating earlier suggestions..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Yes, Post #56......

I find the Search function useful to avoid repeating earlier suggestions..... ;)
    Im delighted for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

was Dermort Morgan from thurles ?

and then theres John 3:7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Getting desperate for names now Lads;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭policarp

tippspur wrote: »
    Getting desperate for names now Lads;)

Nora Butler.
    All Ireland winning singer.
    Nenagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭policarp

Lester Piggott spent a penny there once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

was Dermort Morgan from thurles ?

and then theres John 3:7
    Dermot was born in Dublin I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

tom kiely from ballyneale near carrick-on-suir.
    Successful athlete from early 1900s

digzy wrote: »
    tom kiely from ballyneale near carrick-on-suir.
    Successful athlete from early 1900s

The 'Ballincurry hare' John Joe Barry from Ballingarry

Larry Kiely from Glengoole. Tipp all ireland winner on several occasions and Irish showjumper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tis Mee

Kitty Flaherty. Cahir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Paul Walsh, lead singer of Royseven is from Clonmel

Advertisement