Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I reapply?

Options
  • 16-07-2011 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Admittedly this isn't a work problem per se, but it is a problem to do with finding work. I applied for a job in a retail store a few weeks ago, got called for an interview but then I didn't get the job.

The same company is hiring the same staff in the same store again and I'm sure it's the same HR person who interviewed me who'll be looking at the applications. I don't want to annoy them or seem like I'm hassling them if I apply for the same job that I didn't get a few weeks ago. Would it be a stupid idea do apply for that job again? Would it make me seem pushy? I still need a job, but of course I don't want to annoy them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If it was a few months, I'd say give it a go.

A few weeks though .. maybe not. Unless you know they're looking for something different (eg folks who can work different hours) this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I'd definitely reapply. You don't know what they thought of your application. They may have thought it was really good and just had more good applications than vacancies. No harm in letting them know you're still interested. Unless they expressly say that they don't want repeat applications or something on their website, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

JustMary wrote: »
    If it was a few months, I'd say give it a go.

A few weeks though .. maybe not. Unless you know they're looking for something different (eg folks who can work different hours) this time.

I'm curious as to your reasoning behind this, cause it strikes me as terrible advise tbh.

It could be that a person/persons who were successful in their application declined the position, and the company are trying to refill a vacancy. We don't know the reason behind why the OP was turned down, nor where they may have ranked in their interview.

I say go ahead and reapply, and I wouldn't give a second thought about "annoying them" or seeming like you're "pushy". What's the worst they can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    I'm curious as to your reasoning behind this, cause it strikes me as terrible advise tbh.

It could be that a person/persons who were successful in their application declined the position, and the company are trying to refill a vacancy. We don't know the reason behind why the OP was turned down, nor where they may have ranked in their interview.

I say go ahead and reapply, and I wouldn't give a second thought about "annoying them" or seeming like you're "pushy". What's the worst they can do?

That was not bad advice, it is a complete waste of time re-applying after a few weeks. I would not be worried about annoying them either, but it is a total waste of time.

I would be fairly sure that people interviewed and were not offered at the last round, but were thought to be good, would have been offered by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I think re-applying is a waste of time < 9-12 months.If you were close to being offered the job they would have contacted you when the new one came up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Irish Wolf wrote: »

I'd agree that you've not much to lose, but I do think that the odds are that they didn't deem anyone suitable the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think re-applying is a waste of time < 9-12 months.If you were close to being offered the job they would have contacted you when the new one came up.

My thoughts exactly.

I'd have put it at less than 9-12 months .. more like 3-6, but I guess it depends on the company.

Unless you know from a contact inside that the hiring manager or what they're looking for has changed, of course.

Advertisement