Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for boat trailer parts

• 16-07-2011 2:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

Dear friends,

I'm in the market for the following boat trailer parts

3 X Central Keel rollers (preferably 8" wide approx)
    2 or 4 x Hull rollers and stems
    1 x Trailer winch

I can of course get these on the web, but if anyone has good second hand parts I'd be very interested in talking to you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

dnme wrote: »
    Dear friends,

I'm in the market for the following boat trailer parts

3 X Central Keel rollers (preferably 8" wide approx)
    2 or 4 x Hull rollers and stems
    1 x Trailer winch

I can of course get these on the web, but if anyone has good second hand parts I'd be very interested in talking to you.

I work for the largest marine trailer manufacturer in th UK and Ireland so at the risk of incurring the wrath of the mods (this is purely advice and I won't gain personally from any transaction) if you would like to PM me I would be happy to steer you in the right direction. If at all possible please avoid second hand trailer parts, it just doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭dnme

Chiorino wrote: »
    I work for the largest marine trailer manufacturer in th UK and Ireland so at the risk of incurring the wrath of the mods (this is purely advice and I won't gain personally from any transaction) if you would like to PM me I would be happy to steer you in the right direction. If at all possible please avoid second hand trailer parts, it just doesn't work.

Well, the best I've done for the above lot shopping online, is £120 delivered. If you can beat that then by all means pm me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Are you sure you want 8" keel rollers they seem a bit wide for the weight of your boat, just a thought.

fergal.b wrote: »
    Are you sure you want 8" keel rollers they seem a bit wide for the weight of your boat, just a thought.

Yea, a bigger target to drive or pull the boat up onto considering the minimalist design of the trailer, and once one is 8", then the others need to be likewise for appearence sakes.

dnme wrote: »
    Well, the best I've done for the above lot shopping online, is £120 delivered. If you can beat that then by all means pm me.

I'll PM you on Tuesday with the best I can do (I'm not back off holidays until then). Cheers.

• Advertisement

Chiorino wrote: »
    I'll PM you on Tuesday with the best I can do (I'm not back off holidays until then). Cheers.

Great, bear in mind I can live with 5 or 6" rollers if need be. The 8" represents my tendency for overkill

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Hijacking this thread for a sec - my dinghy is nearly finished, so I'll be needing a trailer soon. I'm a bit taken aback at what they cost. I've found one on donedeal that looks like it would work, for €425, and a Snipe on Apollo Duck for €550. At that rate, the trailer would be the single most expensive part of the boat apart from the sails.

Are there better deals to be had, or do I need to resign myself to paying this much?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Hijacking this thread for a sec - my dinghy is nearly finished, so I'll be needing a trailer soon. I'm a bit taken aback at what they cost. I've found one on donedeal that looks like it would work, for €425, and a Snipe on Apollo Duck for €550. At that rate, the trailer would be the single most expensive part of the boat apart from the sails.

Are there better deals to be had, or do I need to resign myself to paying this much?

OB, for the boat in question, go to a local handyman with a welder or a local engineering co, and get one made. They are such a rip off, makes me cry.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Have you looked at these I bought the coaster for under a 1000 http://www.indespension.co.uk/b2c/app/I00800?ZNPANO=100&slnk=1
    This is there place in Dublin http://dublin.yalwa.ie/ID_103145392/Indespension-Parnell-Trailer-Centre.html

I think by the time that you buy the steel,wheels,rollers,winch,hitch and so on and then pay someone who cannot certify the trailer to build it you won't save much plus the way the law is on trailers these days if it's not certified they can take it off you :eek: leaving you back where you started :)
    Also on secondhand trailers you have to go through all the welds looking for hairline cracks and most of the time you have to add on the cost of new tyres and bearings and the time spent fitting can bring the price up near the cost of a new one and the piece off mind of towing your boat on a new trailer is worth the extra few €€€€'s in my opinion. :D

I worry about websites that are afraid to show their prices. :(

Seriously - for a new trailer I'm looking at the guts of a grand. That's just outrageously stupid money for a way to get a small dinghy a couple of miles to and from a slip.

• Advertisement

Hmm, I see dinghy trailers on there for relatively civilised money. They look a bit... insubstantial. Could work, though.

OB,

I had a quote today from an Irish vendor who I'll leave nameless, winch with cable €90. Amazing considering this on ebay.

Get a frame made, buy a small set of rollers and winch if you need one. Source wheels on adverts or donedeal. IMO a dingy trailer should not exceed 200 quid. Forget Ireland, sinmply can't do business here, prices are off the scale.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I worry about websites that are afraid to show their prices. :(

Seriously - for a new trailer I'm looking at the guts of a grand. That's just outrageously stupid money for a way to get a small dinghy a couple of miles to and from a slip.

The reason the Dublin branch do not show prices is that the UK head office which looks after some 20 odd branches do not provide the 2 Irish depots with printed price lists. Prices are adjusted, sometimes monthly to take into account any currency variations. Just give them a ring and they will give you an up to date price.

As regards having a trailer made up (see fergals earlier excellent post) while it is currently dodgy territory, as of October 2012 it will be officially illegal under EU type approval legislation coming into force.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good online supplier for boat trailer parts at decent prices? I like marineparts.ie but their stock seems to be a little limited.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

Thanks, Fergal, will have a look.

Advertisement