Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of jobs in WA

Options
  • 16-07-2011 6:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

INTERESTING ARTICLE

http://www.thejournal.ie/western-australia-can-take-one-third-of-unemployed-from-ireland-177939-Jul2011/

im living here for the past 2 years and i can definitely say this is fact. Live in Perth but FIFO to Port Hedland and the amount of work is unreal!

Have a mate in professional construction recruitment in the CBD and he has a full book but nobody to fill the roles. One international project management company have 3 projects in hand all worth over $1 billion each in value and they’re going to have to scrap one because of lack of recourses!

Anyone who has Rail experience as a engineer, QS or project manager could name their price to contractors!

Major shortage for civil/marine/rail engineers, qs, project managers, site surveyors, health and safety etc.

Anyone already based here and wants to know more than pm me and I will pass your cv onto my mate.
    Even if you’re not based in Perth, companies are willing to sponsor your visa, flights and accom from Ireland/UK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Should the thread topic not read: Abundance of jobs in WA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Should the thread topic not read: Abundance of jobs in WA?

hungover mate from night before :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 schwegil

Gardner wrote: »
    INTERESTING ARTICLE

Anyone who has Rail experience as a engineer, QS or project manager could name their price to contractors!

Major shortage for civil/marine/rail engineers, qs, project managers, site surveyors, health and safety etc.

Anyone already based here and wants to know more than pm me and I will pass your cv onto my mate.
    Even if you’re not based in Perth, companies are willing to sponsor your visa, flights and accom from Ireland/UK

hiya been in perth now for four weeks and looking to get into that type of work.... i have four years civil engineer experience in motorway construstion back in ireland (m50/m3) but i hear the earthworks is similiar for rail construction........ i'll pm you my dtails if you don't mind, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Poker Engineer

Hey Gardner whats the work situation like for Mechanical Engineers over there? Or is it more Civil/Structural Engineers they are crying out for.
    Have heard plenty of stories about the billion and one jobs waiting you in in el dorado/perth but would like to hear more from someone who clearly has a bit of an insight into the sector and is living there.
    Oh and I'm in Melbourne if that makes any diff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hughesga

Hi guys,

Im a third year Mechanical Engineering student in Ireland. I've heard alot about the opportunities in WA and working in this field really interests me. Next year will be my final year in college but Im considering taking a gap year instead because I feel I could do with a break. Instead of working an unskilled job in the mines it would be brilliant if I could get an internship to gain some valuable experience. Does anyone have any advice on how to get one? I would also consider working unskilled mining jobs too because the money is good and maybe I could network and make some valuable contacts over there. I really would love to travel next year but the main problem is money, if I could get a company to sponsor me that would be fantastic. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mickeyie05

Hi Can you tell me if there is a shortage of QS's? I'm working in London approximately a year and wouldn't mind a change. Also can somebody give me an idea of what sort of pay you should be looking at out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

hughesga wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Im a third year Mechanical Engineering student in Ireland. I've heard alot about the opportunities in WA and working in this field really interests me. Next year will be my final year in college but Im considering taking a gap year instead because I feel I could do with a break. Instead of working an unskilled job in the mines it would be brilliant if I could get an internship to gain some valuable experience. Does anyone have any advice on how to get one? I would also consider working unskilled mining jobs too because the money is good and maybe I could network and make some valuable contacts over there. I really would love to travel next year but the main problem is money, if I could get a company to sponsor me that would be fantastic. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What are you talking about a free internship?

Unskilled mining jobs.... sure that would be like gold dust and its mainly about who you know and will probably boil down to what visa you are on, getting sponsored with no qualifications/Experience why would they sponsor you and not the other guy with qualifications and experience.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 just wondering?

Hello. Can anybody tell me if they know how to get work in the mines as a cleaner or in the kitchen etc? Do you need to go through an agency? And also if anybody knows roughly what kind of money this sort of job would get that would be great, have done alot of googling but very little info on the non mining work in the mines! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Hello. Can anybody tell me if they know how to get work in the mines as a cleaner or in the kitchen etc? Do you need to go through an agency? And also if anybody knows roughly what kind of money this sort of job would get that would be great, have done alot of googling but very little info on the non mining work in the mines! Thanks!

It seems the going rate is $420K a year for washing clothes.

http://www.news.com.au/business/laundry-staff-can-earn-more-than-420k-a-year-on-offshore-construction-projects/story-e6frfm1i-1226027838552#ixzz1HYqq6IHL

Then wake up and enjoy your conflakes.

Makes good reading tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Sodexo is a company that runs the kitchens and cleaning services in the mines. Not sure how you get in or what they actually do pay.

Getting an internship is near impossible. These positions are highly valued by local students and the companies usually pluck the cream of the crop from the local unis or else it is who your parents know. They also pay them incredibly well, or they used to where I worked. Same goes for the graduate program where the best are fast-tracked through the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

ellaq wrote: »
    Sodexo is a company that runs the kitchens and cleaning services in the mines.

As well as sodexo, ESS and spotless also provide remote services.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 johnwstafford

Hi Gardner,

there's a chance I might end up lecturing in South Hedland. What would it be like to live around Port Hedland / South Hedland. Is there many Irish actually living in Port Hedland / South Hedland. I think I'd need some Irish people to drink with if I was to move out the and live permanently

John

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

Hi Gardner,

there's a chance I might end up lecturing in South Hedland. What would it be like to live around Port Hedland / South Hedland. Is there many Irish actually living in Port Hedland / South Hedland. I think I'd need some Irish people to drink with if I was to move out the and live permanently

John

Hi john,

I lived in Port Hedland for 5 months in 2006. At that time anyway, it was really what you made of it. i was there with another 6 Irish and we had a great time.

There doesn't be an awful lot going on and there isn't really any beaches too close by that people go swimming at. You can still go swimming at pretty pool which is an inlet from the sea or at the swimming pool. Theres a few bars in Port Hedland for the craic at the weekends and we use to go fishing a lot. South Hedland is about a ten minute drive from Port Hedland

i'm trying to think of more stuff but nothing is coming to me right now. anyway i really enjoyed it and wouldnt mind going back again sometime.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 8 crow.bar

Hi, I am a plumber with seven yerars experience and am arriving in Perth in early Febuary. I have some contacts over there but nothing certain work wise yet. I will be on a WHV hopping to get sponsored. Does anyone know if there is much work for plumbers in Perth?

Advertisement