Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saab 9-5 VS Volvo S60

Options
  • 16-07-2011 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I'd really appreciate any personal feedback on either the Volvo S60 or Saab 9-5 - both petrol engined. I'm looking to change down from a 2007 Saab 9-3 TiD to one of these cars.

With my budget, I'm looking at 2002-2004 cars with mostly 100k+ mileages. Although newer, the reliability of my current car has been patchy. Am I kidding myself that an older petrol 9-5 might bo better?

Any big ticket items to watch out for on either car?

Also a few factory fitted LPG powered S60's have cropped up, i.e. non-turbo 2.4 versions. Should these be considered? Some wild claims about about compartive diesel car economy without the diesel engine complexities.

Incidentally my annual mileage has come down to approx 8-10k.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Not so sure about the Saab but I have an S60 these past 2 years and love it. It is the 2 litre turbo petrol model and has been ultra reliable for me. Things to watch out for at 100k are drop links, bushes, shocks and balljoints. At this point I have had them all replaced but they are not expensive. Fuel economy wise I get about 33mpg in "old money" terms while city driving going up to 40mpg on the motorway, which is not too bad. Take a look at the Volvo UK owners forum (Google it and it is usually the first link) as it is very informative. Unfortunately I can't comment on the LPG but just thought I would throw in my 2 cents. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Im a Saab technician and I wouldn't touch a 9-5 with over a 100k on it, simple as- biggest costs are prob suspension and if you do go for one make sure it has a fsh and get it checked out before you buy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭coolbeans

For me it'd have to be the S60. The SAAB is dated and ugly, especially the pre-facelift model. In fact the design reminds me of a 1996 Seat Toledo so boring and unadventurous is the styling. It's also closely related to the Opel Vectra although the degree to which this affects quality and engineering is the subject of debate on here.
    The S60 has a lovely interior when you get the leather and it has a decent range of punchy and reliable turbo engines. The only downside is the fuel consumption but that really isn't a factor when you're doing such small mileage. Why not look at a T5? One of the last decade's ultimate Q-cars with a very surprising turn of pace and a lovely five cylinder burble that'll make you smile.

PS - would the LPG be worth the penalty in terms of performance when you do such small mileage? I can't imagine a 2.4 non-turbo being too rapid and that'd take away some of the car's character I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The S60 for me.

The S60 uses the MkII Mondeo running gear which is good to begin with and way more modern than the 1990s Vectra chassis that the 9-5 is based on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

bazz26 wrote: »
    The S60 uses the MkII Mondeo running gear which is good to begin with and way more modern than the 1990s Vectra chassis that the 9-5 is based on.

Where'd you hear that?

The S60 is based on Volvo's P2 platform which was developed before Ford took over. The last generation S80, V70 and current XC90 are all based on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Where'd you hear that?

The S60 is based on Volvo's P2 platform which was developed before Ford took over. The last generation S80, V70 and current XC90 are all based on it.

Always thought the last S60 used the Mondeo platform same as the Jaguar X-Type.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Always thought the last S60 used the Mondeo platform same as the Jaguar X-Type.

No; sure Ford only took over Volvo in 1999 and the S60 was launched in 2000. It takes more than a year to develop a new car.

The S60 is also considerably smaller than the Mondeo.

From Wikipedia:
    P2 Vehicles

1999–2006 Volvo S80 sedan (P23)
    2001–2009 Volvo S60 sedan (P24)
    2001–2007 Volvo V70 station wagon (P26E)
    2002–2007 Volvo XC70 station wagon (P26L)
    2003– Volvo XC90 crossover SUV (P28)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 horseone

it's looking like an S60 then. Just need to flog my own now!!

Coolbeans, so far been looking at 2.0T and 2.4T/2.5T versions. The T-5 was always a car I hankered after but dismissed it because insurance, mileage, mpg, longevity etc....Might be time to treat myself I reckon. If they're good enough for the hi-speed traffic cops here in the UK, they must be good.

If only sunroofs were more common on the them, I'd be proper sorted!!

thanks for the feedback chaps.

horseone wrote: »
    it's looking like an S60 then. Just need to flog my own now!!

Coolbeans, so far been looking at 2.0T and 2.4T/2.5T versions. The T-5 was always a car I hankered after but dismissed it because insurance, mileage, mpg, longevity etc....Might be time to treat myself I reckon. If they're good enough for the hi-speed traffic cops here in the UK, they must be good.

Here's a 2.5T with all the spec for three grand: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2334437. The only thing it doesn't have is a sunroof.

These also re-map quite nicely, so T5 performance is easily achievable.

Advertisement