Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telly packed it in in a rental

Options
  • 16-07-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for a bit of advice here folks, the telly that was provided by the landlord has stopped working, going to call the estate agent about it on Monday and see what the story is with replacing it.

What way would the landlords on the board do it? I'm hoping that the landlord will agree to me buying a new one (for an agreed price) and then taking the price of it off the next month's rent. Is that normally how it works?

Obviously i'll provide the landlord with a receipt and all that.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Usually the lease says "no deductions on rent" but if you both agree on a model/price, keep the receipt and and get reimbursed in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Normally the TV isn't included on the rent as a necessity like a cooker or washing machine for example. I'd be surprised if the landlord agrees to replace it with a brand new one.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Contact the landlord. It's up to him what to do. He may opt to get it repaired. Also, it's his call what to replace it with, whether new or used, size and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Was the TV included in the lease on the itinerary of items? If not, then the landlord may opt not to replace it. If it is on the itinerary, then they should replace it. However, as others have said, because it's not a specified 'necessary' item in accommodation, s/he may not replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Some landlords might be a bit stingy though, claiming it was a brand new telly and you broke it :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well its certainly not a brand new telly, it looks like something from the late 90's!

There was no itinerary of items attached to the lease but I do have photo's of it from the day I first moved in with the days Times in the foreground.

I'd say it would better the flat for when it comes time to find new tenants for the place so hopefully the landlord will see it the same way.

Cheers for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,398 ✭✭✭✭Victor

convert wrote: »
    itinerary
    Inventory? :)

Advertisement