Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coin counting machine

• 16-07-2011 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Anyone know where to find one of those coin counting machines that take all your coppers and turn them into real money for you?

Do any of the supermarkets in town have one?

Times are hard when I'm reduced to emptying the money jar to enable me to head out for the night.:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Theres one in Tesco Arkeen, on the left as you walk in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Anyone know where to find one of those coin counting machines that take all your coppers and turn them into real money for you?

Do any of the supermarkets in town have one?

Times are hard when I'm reduced to emptying the money jar to enable me to head out for the night.:o

Tesco ardkeen have one i think but I remember someone saying it only be used towards your shopping, I think it gives you a voucher or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

It gives you a voucher which you can spend in the store or you can bring it to the customer service desk and they will cash it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Remember that many of these machines take commission of between 10-12%

Its worth it counting it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Cabaal wrote: »

I could count it but I don't think shops will take bags of change anymore, not like the old days unfortunately.

I suppose I could wait until Monday and try the banks but I'm not even sure if they change it for you either tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Tesco Poleberry have one too. I have this thing that I throw anything under €2 into this big glass vase in my place and every few months I bring it in there. you'd be surprised how much you have. I wouldn't have the patiance to count it myself and put it in those bank bags. for the sake of €10 in a €100 it's handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Maybe €2 is setting the bar a bit high, euros are easy enough to count and use, i save anything under a euro. I think the banks will accept it if it is properly bagged and sorted, so they can weigh it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

All banks should take it, if not tell them your lodging it to your account. They have to take it then.

Also some smaller shops will take it if they are not too busy. Its costs them money to get change from the bank, but the might not take 100's worth of change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

wobbles wrote: »
    All banks should take it, if not tell them your lodging it to your account. They have to take it then.

Also some smaller shops will take it if they are not too busy. Its costs them money to get change from the bank, but the might not take 100's worth of change

Most shops aren't really too happy about it, but just tolerate it to stay on good terms with customers.
    The bank charges are small in comparison to the pay for a member of staff to be checking it. They'd probably prefer to have that member of staff stacking shelves or cleaning the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Cabaal wrote: »

Yes most of them d take commission if you decide to take the "cash" option but if decide to spend the money in store there is no comission (Thats in Tesco and my local Spar),

Shockwave wrote:
    It gives you a voucher which you can spend in the store or you can bring it to the customer service desk and they will cash it.

So just like shockwave said buy something in store and then get a refund !! hence no commission

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Banks will of course take it, just bring it in money bags which the bank will give you as well.
    It doesn't take long in the bank either because they weigh the bags.

I would never give up 9 or 10% to those machines just for the convenience but that's just me.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Do these machines take 5c,2c, & 1c coins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Do these machines take 5c,2c, & 1c coins?

They do indeed. My thinking is you save the 10,20,50 cent coins and the smaller ones pay the commission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Jambo wrote: »
    Yes most of them d take commission if you decide to take the "cash" option but if decide to spend the money in store there is no comission (Thats in Tesco and my local Spar),

So just like shockwave said buy something in store and then get a refund !! hence no commission

No in Tesco, even if you spend it in store, photo-me will take commission. No way round it. Think its about 8.5%...so say 10%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Its 9.9% in the tesco machines

Advertisement