Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some advise on studying IT.

Options
  • 16-07-2011 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Firstly, I want to say I just came across this sub forum and I have read through a fair bit of it and find it very helpful.
    So thanks to the lot of you for contributing.

I am 23 and am looking to start studying I.T/Computer Science NEXT September,
    I am currently working as an apprentice Electrician in my third year.
    But I don't want to do it anymore,
    For many reasons e.g. Construction is bad, employment is not stable and I genuinely don't like the trade.

Having worked on many jobs I have met plenty of I.T. Engineers and Software Engineers, I always found there jobs interesting and was something I always felt I would be interested in doing,
    Add on the fact I have had an interest in Computers from a young age,
    this is something I am dead serious about doing.

But my situation is like this,
    A few years back when I did my leaving cert, I was a different person, I failed maths and I failed Business,
    Getting a B in honors Engineering, helped me though.

I understand that my leaving cert results really don't help me right now,
    So this September I am planning on repeating Maths in the evening,
    Hopefully helping me get a decent course in IT/Computer Science,
    Add on the fact I would be applying as a mature student, every little bit helps.

By next September, I would be going into college as a qualified Electrician,
    which I hope at the interview for whatever course stands to me.
    My main reason for making this thread is,
    I have read on here a few of you saying that some degree's don't really cover much networking and that outside courses such as the Cisco CCNA,
    are more what you should be doing.
    Am I wasting my time going for a degree, when I could be doing seth courses?
    I was thinking of applying to Tallaght IT for there Computer Science course (3 years,) http://www.it-tallaght.ie/FullTimeCourses/Computing/Name,17461,en.html
    Anyone heard anything of it or could recommend a more suited course for todays standards? As I know like everything, the IT world is constantly changing.

And I am also interesting in doing some evening courses/online courses in computing to gear me up for whats to come and give me that edge for when I am interviewed for whatever course, if you could recommend any I would be very grateful.

All help, greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

My view on it is that you should be aiming for a good honors degree for a start. You might also want to have a think about whether you want to go in to delivery, PM or BA type work or operational/support type work.

An appreciation for IT Service Management is something that is coming to the fore more and more in my world right now - tools and standards/disciplines.

I went to DKIT and graduated in 2003 from the Applications and Support/IT Management course. Working for one of the biggest mobile operators since then. Started in operations (VMS and Unix), then application support (Windows Server, Unix, Tibco, Oracle, SQL Server, Genesys, Clarify, Weblogic and countless bespoke solutions) and now a manager of those teams.

To say that Change Management, Problem Management, Major Incident Management and tools like HP BAC have become extremely prominent would be an understatement. Tis probably the stand out change in that time to be honest.

There are defo jobs out there and there is defo good money to be earned. You just got to figure out how it is you want to sell yourself and finding the companies that want your skills/abilities. It's weird, the focus is defo shifting from technical skills/knowledge to ability and soft skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Doing any IT degree is worth it, to be honest.

If you have an interest in CCNA, have a look at IT Blanchardstown (in the interest of full disclosure: I used to work there and used to lecture on some of the courses). I know there are standalone CCNA courses, along with CCNA material being integrated into degree programmes. Plus the staff there know their stuff. ;)

That one in IT Tallaght (another disclaimer: I used to work there too, but not on that degree programme. :o) is a Level 7 degree. Ideally, you would need an Honours Degree at Level 8, so you would have to do another year for it to be of any use to you.

Another note - as you are 23, your leaving cert results are irrelevant. You will be classed as a mature student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Doing any IT degree is worth it, to be honest.

If you have an interest in CCNA, have a look at IT Blanchardstown (in the interest of full disclosure: I used to work there and used to lecture on some of the courses). I know there are standalone CCNA courses, along with CCNA material being integrated into degree programmes. Plus the staff there know their stuff. ;)

That one in IT Tallaght (another disclaimer: I used to work there too, but not on that degree programme. :o) is a Level 7 degree. Ideally, you would need an Honours Degree at Level 8, so you would have to do another year for it to be of any use to you.

Another note - as you are 23, your leaving cert results are irrelevant. You will be classed as a mature student.

Thanks mate, I never thought about Blanch to be honest.
    Do you know much mature student applications?
    I know I don't need my leaving but I think it looks bad that I failed maths.

I don't know much about IT as a whole, I don't anything about CCNA,
    A friend of mine is an IT Engineer a few years now and he told me he did the CCNA and the ComTIA A+ and he walked into a job,
    things weren't as bad back then as they are now though.

Also do you recommend any online courses, books or evenings classes to prepare me for a 3-4 year course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I would do a degree if I was you, even if you do it part time or in the evening. Also look to doing some professional certifications.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My view on it is that you should be aiming for a good honors degree for a start. You might also want to have a think about whether you want to go in to delivery, PM or BA type work or operational/support type work.

An appreciation for IT Service Management is something that is coming to the fore more and more in my world right now - tools and standards/disciplines.

I went to DKIT and graduated in 2003 from the Applications and Support/IT Management course. Working for one of the biggest mobile operators since then. Started in operations (VMS and Unix), then application support (Windows Server, Unix, Tibco, Oracle, SQL Server, Genesys, Clarify, Weblogic and countless bespoke solutions) and now a manager of those teams.

To say that Change Management, Problem Management, Major Incident Management and tools like HP BAC have become extremely prominent would be an understatement. Tis probably the stand out change in that time to be honest.

There are defo jobs out there and there is defo good money to be earned. You just got to figure out how it is you want to sell yourself and finding the companies that want your skills/abilities. It's weird, the focus is defo shifting from technical skills/knowledge to ability and soft skills.

I work in Service Management and have done since 1999, but remember as far back as 2003/4 when recruiters had no idea about it.

It's become a very fast growing area and a definite value add to c.v.s. OP if you are thinking about this, then consider doing ITIL foundation, you can self study for it. My OH's son is studying in college for an IT degree and I'll be encouraging him to add that certification before he graduates, I believe it makes a difference.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    I work in Service Management and have done since 1999, but remember as far back as 2003/4 when recruiters had no idea about it.

It's become a very fast growing area and a definite value add to c.v.s. OP if you are thinking about this, then consider doing ITIL foundation, you can self study for it. My OH's son is studying in college for an IT degree and I'll be encouraging him to add that certification before he graduates, I believe it makes a difference.

Thanks for the reply. I did a little look up on ITIL foundation,
    And I came across this with FAS?

http://jobseeker.fas.ie/Default.aspx?q=FQoHDOWyPU4vjjZO+GYzKdqDIiXawxcUWcerd/ZI8GHmMZ3EvFbJS9ZhR0oj9sKx8WeD4GvggDfEo6FY2ytnsCS0/yQOv3cD4M0ijRVb+TauiUE66cruAf5HN78guUMoYOlL5B2zZNaH9+nuEP8vJBGFagKqSOwKkojL6IAADYNYlw9J5Ef5VvWyDZPlM8W+G2w6+cuoq11JxRSGaHRRn24W3WVWyaowwCnQWKudSUSV6IeZn7r01YryHVBbnmjMngJsOcJvGmzbO8l491mqW0AUVsoPpBL16JczYfjLl8zgL1te7hXvSKrmQInMq5J3nAWrItkTz/P+lI+3Co+AwLZvYgEfniW+RjOu1yZs4fpGciUE7lqWo70Bp2bcmA3HQC7QU5N/Y0QiY6CGOcdmgITCGiDDnqH0SbQlLL79dzxFNmRxQuxTxr6GD65axz3trz9aZM5lsCE=
    Is that it? Three day course?

If so what is the exam like?

BostonB wrote: »
    I would do a degree if I was you, even if you do it part time or in the evening. Also look to doing some professional certifications.

Cheers mate, I am looking at doing the CCNA, starting in October.
    http://www.dorset-college.ie/Computing/courses/course_details/?rid=3&cid=33

It says that doing the CompTIA A+ or ECDL prior to this course would help, what do you think?
    Also if you recommend any other courses I would gladly take a look, I'm open to do whatever I can afford.

ITIL is to do with IT service management. Not something you should be too worried about until you are actually working in IT. I honestly do not think you could do it without some IT experience/education behind you.

Cheers mate, I am looking at doing the CCNA, starting in October.
    http://www.dorset-college.ie/Computing/courses/course_details/?rid=3&cid=33

It says that doing the CompTIA A+ or ECDL prior to this course would help, what do you think?

Personally, I don't think so. Certainly not the ECDL - this just teaches you how to use a computer and Word/Powerpoint/Excel. A+ is a technician certificate and is quite comprehensive. There would probably be some overlap with year 1 and year 2 subjects in the degree programme in terms of hardware and the like. However, it all depends on the course you consider.

I advise my students to finish year 2 and then do the A+ during the Summer, which some of them do, believe it or not.

ITIL is to do with IT service management. Not something you should be too worried about until you are actually working in IT. I honestly do not think you could do it without some IT experience/education behind you.

Personally, I don't think so. Certainly not the ECDL - this just teaches you how to use a computer and Word/Powerpoint/Excel. A+ is a technician certificate and is quite comprehensive. There would probably be some overlap with year 1 and year 2 subjects in the degree programme in terms of hardware and the like. However, it all depends on the course you consider.

I advise my students to finish year 2 and then do the A+ during the Summer, which some of them do, believe it or not.

Thanks again for the reply.

Would you recommend the CCNA as a whole prior to starting the degree?
    I looked up a few videos on youtube e.g. tutorials for the CCNA,
    and it came across as fairly complicated.
    Is the course designed for beginners? Or would I be better off doing it after a year or so in college?

I just want to be as prepared as I can and too be honest, I'm pretty excited, next september seems like a long way away.

Or would I be better off doing it after a year or so in college?

This. :)

My personal opinion is do at least one year of the degree programme and then start looking at professional certifications. Also remember that some ITs do the likes of CCNA as part of the degree programme. This could kill two birds with the one stone for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Apologies, I should have qualified my statement in that the oh's son will do a years work experience as part of his degree and it's after that that I will encourage him to do the ITIL foundation cert.

Made an assumption that all degrees did work experience, my bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Any one on here ever gone down the open university route towards their degree ? Having a look at it as a possible option.

Dj.

Any one on here ever gone down the open university route towards their degree ? Having a look at it as a possible option.

Dj.

Quite a few have.

Lots of threads over in the Distance/Part Time forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

OP, What is your ultimate aim - do you know what field of IT you most want to work in?

Being honest, if I were you (and I kinda was in a similiar situation 10 years ago) I would be aiming to start out with a shorter course, Cert perhaps, with the option for Diploma/Degree if you chose to do it. I would also be looking for a course with initial exposure to a few fields with work experience thrown in.
    Reasoning behind the shorter course, well you get something after a couple of years. Going straight into a degree course may backfire on you, especially if your grasp of some of the topic is not great. I learned this the hard way after doing the leaving cert.
    I would recommend a course such as this:
    http://www.gmit.ie/castlebar/technology/cert-it-support.html
    After that you may decide to carry on in college or get work and continue with getting further part time education via Microsoft, Cisco, Comptia, ITIL, whatever takes your fancy or whatever field you are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Quite a few have.

Lots of threads over in the Distance/Part Time forum.

Thanks for that TD...............

Advertisement