Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A wild project appears

Options
  • 16-07-2011 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Started recording a new series titled 'The Ultimate FIFA Adventures'. Basically, myself and a couple of friends finally venturing into the FIFA 11 Ultimate Team mode and taking it online. Video features game footage spliced with room reaction and banter.

Unlike most FIFA series, it's not a case of, "we're better than everyone and we know it". Hopefully it's entertaining.

Also learned a couple of things in the process.
    1) Need to get a HD camcorder. Bringing down the quality of in-game footage too (which is recorded at 480p).
    2) Need to learn a different editor. Cyberlink Powerdirector 8 was fine for shorter or less complicated clips but really ran aground here and caused a lot of headaches.
    3) Stop each recording device after each match - for file size and convenience. Easier to organise.

We recorded a few matches in the one night, but after reading up on Ultimate Team, we won't be able to use them. The idea is to release one episode per week - but if we use the recorded footage, it looks like we never learn :D So the series is unlikely to follow a full play-by-play of our online ventures, but will hopefully provide enough entertainment for it not to matter that it's not a full story.

Any comments, tips, concerns, queries, etc? I am wondering if it is enough to showcase footage as a full match, or should it be like Match of the Day (i.e. Highlights of each match mixed with reaction - does open the possibility of multiple matches per ep.). And if you managed to read all that and you're still somewhat interested or intrigued, here is the first ep:

🤪

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

A match of the day style would be great and very original

Also, you should change the aspect ratio to widescreen when rendering to avoid that black edges which looks crap

Get an external mic if you can, I have one on a boom and it makes all the difference, canceling out all sound except voice

I think it would be good to have the video of yourselves in the corner while the match is on

Like this, and you can see the differnece the aspect ratio makes :)

Other than that, I think its great. And has great potential :)

Best of luck and keep us posted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Thanks very much. That's a good setup you have alright. Definately need a few bits of equip - the external mic and a higher def camera :) Would certainly add to it but we'll see what happens when the basics are in place.

May try the Match of the Day style - make sure that it's only the "golden" moments kept in (and without the "we're brilliant" bias :D - people want to see people fail as well!)

🤪

Episode 3 is up! Changed the aspect ratio from the start, so that's one issue sorted. Rendered in 720p so gameplay should be a little sharper (bar our own skills :D). External mic would be useful still.....

New format is a highlights reel - four parts this episode, of 5-8mins each. I prefer it this way I think, but feedback is much appreciated.

Once again, comments, feedback and criticisms welcome (especially if you have the first or second episode as a comparison point). Any help is much appreciated (i.e. liking, subscribing, commenting on YT, tweeting, etc :D)

🤪

Episode 4 has been posted. Becoming more clear that we need to get an external mic to put between us....or everyone needs to shout every comment!

Trying to crack how to get viewers is tough though! I prefer the new 5min match highlight reel + four parts. However, click through rate isn't always fantastic. Want to use a lot of footage because, as FIFA fans know, it's rare we'll just play one game.

Any ideas of what could make the series more interesting / appealing? Will FIFA 12 make a difference? Or should I tag it Minecraft, get a related logo, and then sneak in the FIFA footage? :D

🤪

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sabre0001 wrote: »

Trying to crack how to get viewers is tough though! I prefer the new 5min match highlight reel + four parts. However, click through rate isn't always fantastic. Want to use a lot of footage because, as FIFA fans know, it's rare we'll just play one game.

Any ideas of what could make the series more interesting / appealing? Will FIFA 12 make a difference? Or should I tag it Minecraft, get a related logo, and then sneak in the FIFA footage? :D

In my experience, time and consistency are the "honest" way to get views.

I have 900 videos now and I have noticed that I am getting waaay more search hits (and subsequent subscriptions) as of late because of them- I assume it's simply the likelyhood of getting one of my videos has increased.

I don't know much (nor care tbh :P) about FIFA but I know with the FG videos as well part of it is waiting for that magic moment to occur which will make people repost it on other sites. I've had 5 or 6 videos like this at this point (you can see where your views come from via insight in youtube).

• Advertisement

I think the game has something to do with it as well. When I was testing the PVR, I did a couple of Marvel matches. They got 60+ views each with no promotion (and not brilliant skill! :D).

Getting the consistency down with the FIFA - every Wednesday will be release day. Need a bit of luck I would say as well :)

Thanks DooM!

Though you should care about FIFA - great game and completely balanced, unlike that joke SF :S ;)

🤪

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    I think the game has something to do with it as well. When I was testing the PVR, I did a couple of Marvel matches. They got 60+ views each with no promotion (and not brilliant skill! :D).

Getting the consistency down with the FIFA - every Wednesday will be release day. Need a bit of luck I would say as well :)

Thanks DooM!

Though you should care about FIFA - great game and completely balanced, unlike that joke SF :S ;)

I don't know what it is about Marvel. It's like crack to the Americans, the videos get hits effortlessly on my channel too, compared to all else :(

Advertisement