Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballymote

Options
  • 16-07-2011 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Myself and My boyfriend are looking at moving to Ballymote.

Rent out there seems to vary with it been very affordable in an Estate called tower hill, the houses looks lovely. Anyone any advice on the area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

This should tell you a lot, although I would add I don't know the area personally.

http://www.sligochampion.ie/news/intimidated-residents-moved-out-2821394.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

Hi there,

Rent out there seems to vary with it been very affordable in an Estate called tower hill, the houses looks lovely. Anyone any advice on the area?

Is this the same Tower Hill housing estate in Ballymote that has a serious serious anti-social behaviour problem????.. the same eatate that has seen residents leave in droves? if it isn't then fire ahead. Ballymote is a fine town and has lovely estates, but avoid some of them like a rash. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Ballymote is a very depressing and very depressed place. It's a small town with no real heart or life whatsoever. Very workingclass, suffers from traveller invasions and seems top be a welfare culture. The main businesses in the town are owned by John Perry. I've spent a lot of time in the place, my father grew up there. I have experienced intimidation there. I would avoid it if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

This must be a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

No No Joke, I'm from Tipp don't know Sligo atall hence asking for advice here!

• Advertisement

Lisa,

Sligo and the Northwest in general is probably the most beautiful part of Ireland (imo by far). The rural landscape here is the place to be. If you have a car then why not consider a rural letting. You have it all here, ocean, mountains, wilderness, college, Sligo town (good buzz, nice town, entertainment, reataurants etc). Close to border (shopping).

Why spoil it all by having to return home to Ballymote everynight? :(

dnme wrote: »
    Lisa,

Sligo and the Northwest in general is probably the most beautiful part of Ireland (imo by far). The rural landscape here is the place to be. If you have a car then why not consider a rural letting. You have it all here, ocean, mountains, wilderness, college, Sligo town (good buzz, nice town, entertainment, reataurants etc). Close to border (shopping).

Why spoil it all by having to return home to Ballymote everynight? :(

LOL, Well I work in Roscommon so was kinda a half way destination for us. Will have to look in to it all a bit more!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Ballymote is a very depressing and very depressed place. It's a small town with no real heart or life whatsoever. Very workingclass, suffers from traveller invasions and seems top be a welfare culture. The main businesses in the town are owned by John Perry. I've spent a lot of time in the place, my father grew up there. I have experienced intimidation there. I would avoid it if at all possible.

Just out of interest, what relevance does the highlighted term have? I would assume most areas are working class, since most people have to work to pay their mortgages, bills, ect. Unless you're landed gentry of course and do not need to work for a living.

When was the last traveller invasion exactly? I live 5-6 miles outside of Ballymote and I wasn't aware of such 'invasions'. I would agree though, that there isn't much life in the place. Tubbercurry is a much more livelier spot.

Just out of interest, what relevance does the highlighted term have? I would assume most areas are working class, since most people have to work to pay their mortgages, bills, ect. Unless you're landed gentry of course and do not need to work for a living.

When was the last traveller invasion exactly? I live 5-6 miles outside of Ballymote and I wasn't aware of such 'invasions'. I would agree though, that there isn't much life in the place. Tubbercurry is a much more livelier spot.

Badly worded perhaps. In 2009 I was at a function in BM. There were travellers in town all day. Pubs were closed. We went to a local greasy joes for food. In they came and terrified us and everyone else in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 billyboyle

Hi there,

Avoid Tower Hill like the plague.There are kids here who spit and urinate on other kids.The anti social behaviour in this estate is atrocious and it is time something was done to evict these tenants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 billyboyle

Is this the same Tower Hill housing estate in Ballymote that has a serious serious anti-social behaviour problem????.. the same eatate that has seen residents leave in droves? if it isn't then fire ahead. Ballymote is a fine town and has lovely estates, but avoid some of them like a rash. Best of luck.

Maybe this will help you make up your mind about Tower Hill.

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=15340

Badly worded perhaps. In 2009 I was at a function in BM. There were travellers in town all day. Pubs were closed. We went to a local greasy joes for food. In they came and terrified us and everyone else in there.

Badly worded? Surely you are being ironic? Again I think you need to reflect upon your use of language. If you had bothered to read my post properly, then you would have understood what this part meant....
    When was the last traveller invasion exactly? I live 5-6 miles outside of Ballymote and I wasn't aware of such 'invasions'.
    To explain it for you, I basically said that I wasn't aware of these traveller invasions occurring. That doesn't mean they have never happened, just perhaps not as frequently as the tone of your earlier post indicated.
    Very workingclass, suffers from traveller invasions...
    My question to the above was.........
    Just out of interest, what relevance does the highlighted term have?

So I await your reply to this question. But I’m sure the ‘workingclass’ people of Ballymote wouldn’t harm the OP. Are we all not working class after all, since most of us have to work or like to work if possible?
    and seems top be a welfare culture.

It is hard to decipher what you are trying to say there, but I suspect you are indicating that Ballymote is a top location for ‘welfare culture’. But could you elaborate further on this please? Again, how you can make such broad sweeping statements is really beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Dont move to Ballymote it is the most depressing town I have lived in I could not wait to get away from there. Supermarket is crap if you like nice fresh veg worst fruit and veg section in Supervalu also numerous times I have seen a lot of well out of date stock on shop floor. Where abouts in Roscommon will you be working? Maybe I can recommend a nicer place to live near your work. Stay away from Ballymote if you want to keep your sanity.

Badly worded? Surely you are being ironic? Again I think you need to reflect upon your use of language. If you had bothered to read my post properly, then you would have understood what this part meant....

To explain it for you, I basically said that I wasn't aware of these traveller invasions occurring. That doesn't mean they have never happened, just perhaps not as frequently as the tone of your earlier post indicated.

So I await your reply to this question. But I’m sure the ‘workingclass’ people of Ballymote wouldn’t harm the OP. Are we all not working class after all, since most of us have to work or like to work if possible?

It is hard to decipher what you are trying to say there, but I suspect you are indicating that Ballymote is a top location for ‘welfare culture’. But could you elaborate further on this please? Again, how you can make such broad sweeping statements is really beyond me.

Yeah! not really interested in a tennis match with you. What I write abour Ballymote is my experience rather than my opinion, therefore not up for dissection by you. I'm not really a victim of political correctness I guess and make no apologies for that!

I'll just end by saying this.....

Ballymote is one hell of a dump!

Yeah! not really interested in a tennis match with you. What I write abour Ballymote is my experience rather than my opinion, therefore not up for dissection by you. I'm not really a victim of political correctness I guess and make no apologies for that!

I'll just end by saying this.....

Ballymote is one hell of a dump!

I merely asked why you could make such sweeping statements, which I'm entitled to do of course. I was genuinely hoping for some enlightenment, which sadly you failed to provide. Most people tend to back up a statement if asked and provide a rationale for it. You obviously don't subscribe to this view. As unfortunate as this maybe, it is your right.

Ballymote is a kip, it's over run with out of control travellers who have this preconceived notion that they can do what they like to who ever they like, The Gardai are afraid to do anything to them. Their children are allowed to litterly piss on you without reprimand. And it's not only confined to travellers, other estates in the town have their problems with members of the settled community, You say that you live 5 miles from Ballymote, might I ask is that five miles above or below ground?

Ballymote is a kip, it's over run with out of control travellers who have this preconceived notion that they can do what they like to who ever they like, The Gardai are afraid to do anything to them. Their children are allowed to litterly piss on you without reprimand. And it's not only confined to travellers, other estates in the town have their problems with members of the settled community, You say that you live 5 miles from Ballymote, might I ask is that five miles above or below ground?

Exactly what i needed to know! no wonder its 75 a week for a 4 bed.. to good to be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Plenty of sattelite villages in Sligo with vacant houses for rent that would be nice to live in.

Colooney, Coolaney, balygawley, etc.... etc..

As for Balymote, I have no opinion. I've only ever delivered there or driven through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I live about 2 miles from Ballymote and love it there, My son went to Coilste Muire and didnt know a person there going in and has got on great. Made loads of decent friends from the town and country. I am out there years and have yet to experience any sort of hassle you wouldnt see anywhere else in the county. Travelers use the burial ground there so when there is a big funeral the pubs do close and the Garda set up road blocks in and around the town.
    There are a few estates that can be dodgy but there are plenty of these in any other large town. There are also plenty of good decent places to rent in and around the town. From my experience there is a great community spirit in Ballymote , just look at the success of the paddys day parade this year for one example. If you have anyone in any of the many sports teams there you wil know how good the local Soccer, GAA and Community Games set up is.

Plus dont forget the 20" Pizza's for 9.99 !!!!

OP I suggest you take a spin around all the possible towns in the area, Gurteen and Riverstown are also options you should consider. Gurteen is actually a great town with very good rent and a few great pubs if you are looking for somewhere in between Roscommon and Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Plenty of sattelite villages in Sligo with vacant houses for rent that would be nice to live in.

Colooney, Coolaney, balygawley, etc.... etc..

As for Balymote, I have no opinion. I've only ever delivered there or driven through it.

Keep away from Geevagh, unfriendliest people in Co. Sligo. Except for me, but I'm not a native!! :)

Riverstown is a nice village but, given the large number of new houses/estates, it badly needs another supermarket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

@In the sticks?

Why the bold text, have you trouble with your sight?

OP; I have lived in Ballymote all my life so will give you an honest review of it.

The travellers bury someone in the local cemetery about 3 times a year. On those occasions the pubs are closed and there is a significant Garda presence in the area. Other than that they are no more prevalent than in any other small town. That is unless you want to move into Tower Hill. there is a few rogue families in there and you would want to be off your head to rent in there. Sorry to any residents of Tower Hill who may be reading this.

Hillview Drive would be another to probably avoid.

Marren Park used to be the same but is quiet now. The only draw back to there is that the houses are old and kinda small

2 main shops in the town. Perrys is a kip and only to be used when Kanes is closed IMO. As the other poster has said, the fruit and veg can be poor in Kanes but I think it does the trick as a local shop. Most people would do their big shop in Tesco/Dunnes anyway.

Pros
    There is a lovely park in the town which I use nearly everyday. There will soon be a cinema open too which should be a nice thing to have around the place.

Crime is fairly low around the town. I can't remember the last time I heard of a car broken into or stolen and the same could be said for house burglaries.

There is an active drama group who put on productions.

Cons
    Pubs are pretty poor.

Small town mentality can be a PITA but seems to have dropped back since a good few people moved into the town

What kind of house do you need/want?

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=849073

^
    These have never been rented and are in a quiet cul de sac.

If you would like, throw up any other houses you saw and you may get some further advice on the location.

Good luck in your house hunting

Hi Slidey.
    I think Lisa Celtic said that she was coming to Sligo to live not die!!! Slidey, you paint a lovely picture of Ballymote but only if you were selling retirement homes to OAP's, I was nodding off reading your reply. Lisa, you should try Collooney or Coolaney, very close to Sligo town too, Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Hi Slidey.
    I think Lisa Celtic said that she was coming to Sligo to live not die!!! Slidey, you paint a lovely picture of Ballymote but only if you were selling retirement homes to OAP's, I was nodding off reading your reply. Lisa, you should try Collooney or Coolaney, very close to Sligo town too, Best of luck

Ah now, while I personally don't care much for ballymote, you pain an extremely bleek picture of it! Not everyone is moving to catch nightlife. Its a decently placed commuter town for sligo, carrick and places in roscommon etc. The park and area around the castle are pretty and it's well served by trains. There are some nice housing areas and as others have said some to be avoided like the plague, but show me anywhere that doesnt have that!

Coolaney's nice, much smaller than Ballymote but wouldnt be the most conventient for getting to Ros. Collooney is prob about the same size as Ballymote but closer to Sligo town, Collooney isnt a place with much character either. Gurteen is the closest to Roscommon, its a small place but has quite a bit happening in it. Rent is good and there are no places to avoid. Its 20 to 25 mins drive to Sligo town and right on the Roscommon border.

Have you an eyesight problem or do you just generally write in bold?

You do realise you are not a Mod btw?

I'm exactly 5 miles from Tubbercurry and Ballymote, 'a blow in' you might call me. Still I've never heard anything negative mentioned about Ballymote until this thread. Based on this fact, I can only therefore assume that your post is a gross exaggeration of reality. Here's a tip for future posting, stick in a paragraph or two. It helps when reading believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bubsicle

I have lived in Ballymote all my life and am in my mid 20s.

I have to say it is a great town and i have never had any problems with the travellers. Yes they use the burial ground and there is an increase in the garda presence. But its not bad.

I have a son who is in the local primary school and there is great activities for him. Also there is a great community spirit. There is Gaa for men, women and kids, circuit training, local drama group....

The pubs are quiet but nice. and most young people will got to sligo at weekends.

My sister works in roscommon and doesnt mind the commute. and u can always do your shop in dunnes there if the supermarkets arent up to scratch for you!
    I would recommend you look into the different housing estates. There are a few really nice ones. Castlegrove springs to mind. or stonepark.

Have you an eyesight problem or do you just generally write in bold?

You do realise you are not a Mod btw?

I'm exactly 5 miles from Tubbercurry and Ballymote, 'a blow in' you might call me. Still I've never heard anything negative mentioned about Ballymote until this thread. Based on this fact, I can only therefore assume that your post is a gross exaggeration of reality. Here's a tip for future posting, stick in a paragraph or two. It helps when reading believe me.

I don't even wear glasses, I thought that you may have missed my point, hence the 'bold', It suprises me that you have not heard anything bad regarding Ballymote considering how close you are to the town. Just because you have not heard anything negative about Ballymote since your arrival you can not assume that you are factually correct, Perhaps you should read the previous posts 'again', Shall I put them in 'bold' for you?

I don't even wear glasses, I thought that you may have missed my point, hence the 'bold',
    But you don’t make a point, you just made an opinionated rant in bold print. There’s big difference between that and making a logical point.
    It suprises me that you have not heard anything bad regarding Ballymote considering how close you are to the town.
    Well as I’ve said already, I live about 5/6 miles outside of Ballymote. To put that distance in context, that’s the equivalent distance of Sligo to Strandhill or Rosses Point. So you regard this as close then do you?

So would someone living in Strandhill or Rosses Point, automatically know about everything that was going on in Sligo town everyday then? You might think living 5/6 miles away is basically living just around the corner, but I think most people would disagree with this assumption.
    Just because you have not heard anything negative about Ballymote since your arrival you can not assume that you are factually correct,

That’s what I’ve already said right here.............
    ...I wasn't aware of these traveller invasions occurring. That doesn't mean they have never happened, just perhaps not as frequently as the tone of your earlier post indicated.

You see the bits I underlined? Well I’m saying I wasn't aware of these ‘invasions. I didn’t say they never happened which I clearly stated. I also asked for details of these ‘invasions’ in an earlier post, which I never got unfortunately.

So your question is totally irrelevant, if you had bothered to read my posts correctly you wouldn’t have needed to waste your time asking what I have already answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

The only people defending Ballymote, happen to live there or close by. Id like to see someone not from there tell us how great it is, but I dont think thats too likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Well to be honest the only other town in Sligo I would defend if someone was saying negitive things about it would be Ballisodare as I lived there also. IMO looking for people's opinion from outside the area is a bit pointless as its all hearsay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

jazyguy wrote: »
    The only people defending Ballymote, happen to live there or close by. Id like to see someone not from there tell us how great it is, but I dont think thats too likely.

Would it not stand to reason that those that actually live there would have a better understanding of the place than those that don't ?

Advertisement